“Ants and more ants”

Camping Zeus
Villeneuve
“Ants and more ants”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here in our motorhome for several days because it is so convenient for the train and the Pompei ruins. And - usually - Wifi covers the whole site (unless it is not working which happened several times and needed the staff to reset the system). The showers are - usually- hot. Those are the plus points. The major negatives are that our van quickly became infested with ants that were impossible to get rid of. The site is crawling with ants - despite changes of pitch we could not get rid of them, they came pouring in. The showers are very old and the sinks are bordered with the slime of years - I did not want to wash in them or even put my towel down near them. The staff are sometimes helpful, but often surly and unwilling to be bothered. The location is great but that's about it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hailey, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed in room #3 at Camping Zeus for one night. It was right up against the train tracks, so we became intimate with the train schedule. The room was clean enough, though not spotless. The sheets, though clean, were a bit tattered. Bad lighting made the room dim. We had a good laugh at the sign on the door (in Italian) that warned us not to write on the walls. The worst part was the sound the toilet made when we flushed--it started as a low pitched but loud groaning and gradually increased in intensity and pitch over the next four to five minutes. I've never heard a toilet make that kind of noise. We laughed because it reminded us of Mt. Vesuvius every time we flushed. The location is good because it is very close to the entrance to Pompeii and to the Circumvesuviana train station, but you might be better off staying in Vico Equense.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Pompeii hotels

San Luis Obispo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayted in the rooms that are catagorized as "Rooms Suite" on Camping Zeus website. I was not expecting much and was actually surprised at their cleanliness and quiet. I did hear some people complaining later in the campground about the French kids but never heard them in my room. The hotel does not look like much from the outside but had good air conditioning (important in summer) and a good shade to block out the sun. Beds were adequate. Linens those thin kind they seem to have in some European accomodations. Shower did not drain well.
Conveniences to the Pompeii scavi site is great, you are about a block away from entrance. And train stop is right there too. This made it easy for us to travel to Herculaneum, Vico Equense, Sorrento, etc. I was almost going to stay at a hotel more in the town of Pompeii but the train stop there is not the same stop as for the site of ruins. It's not the longest walk to the site from town but when you are walking all day, it is. I am not sure where else that train stop goes to. Seems odd. but you do have to catch a different train in Naples for the town of Pompeii vs for Pompeii Scavi (ruins).
So convenince was great to all we wanted to do, pretty basic place but we were not in room much. We had good experience with the gentlemen in the office, one of them does not speak very good english but I do not speak any Italian. The other guy was very helpful and speaks great english.
I had no experience with the campground itself.

Room Tip: We were upstairs
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

The instructions to campsite are very handy to find and the location is close to the train station and ruins but that is the only two positives. Very close proximity to other campers and vans - they have compromised the campsite in order to get more money for the day trippers who park their cars. The toilet block is a joke - no seats on the toilets, terrible smells and no toilet paper (not even hanging space or old holes where toilet holders used to be). Wasted our money on using the washing machine - should have known when the people before us had a 30 minute load and it took more than an hour. Our clothes came out dirtier than they went in but at least there was a tree to hang them to dry. Kept awake by French teenagers playing music and put their chairs directly outside our tent to smoke despite they had a lot of area near a wall not being used. Last but not least the check in guy was such a jerk and never answered our questions helpfully. Would recommend people doing a day trip only down to Pompei and do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hull, Quebec
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

BE WARNED. On the site of Camping Zeus at the entrance of Pompei, not sure if the red touristic bus (unfortunately, I cannot remember the name on the bus) is owned by the camping or not but anyhow, beware of this tour.

First off, we were told that it was 12E per adult and 8E for kids under 12. We were handed this pamphlet from our "organizer" working for Naples Villas (I'd rate that company but they don't have entries on TripAdvisor yet... unfrotunately... but that's another story). Once we got to camping Zeus, we had to meet with a certain Rosa. When we met her, she wanted to charge us 12E per person under 8. So we showed her the pamphlet the other guy gave us and she said it was old and from last year. She then handed us a second pamphlet that had a little asterisk at the bottom in very fine print that indicated that once on top of the Vesuvius in the parking, it was another 10E for the adults... we weren't told that and we weren't too impressed but since we had made the train trip all the way there, we didn't really have the choice.

Anyhow, we were also told by our "organizer" (Carmine) that this tour was "fantastic" with the bus all the way to the top and on our way down, we would stop in a vineyard for some free bruschettas and wine tasting.

Once on the bus, we had to argue with this Rosa girl who was trying to charge us 109E for the bus trip for 8 people when in fact, based on our initial pamphlet, it should have been only 80E. Once we hit the road, that's when she informed the other passengers that it was an extra 10E per adult to get on the crater of the Vesuvius. People weren't impressed.

Once on top of the Vesuvius, we had about an hour and a half to walk an extra 1+ KM from the parking to the crater. Our guide Rosa said we had only 1h30 minutes to make it to the top and come back. The Vesuvius is awesome with a nice view but unfortunately, this crappy tour made that we had to almost run to get to the top and back (with kids...).

Then on our way back to Camping Zeus, this "vineyard" was actually a restaurant. Yes, we were given free bruschettas which were excellent, but the wine "tasting" was actually a small glass of wine per person. That's it. Then of course we were handed some menus, people were even more pissed because now we were stuck on a mountain in a restaurant at lunch time.

So overall, we were disappointed of this trip to the Vesuvius from Camping Zeus.... so be warned and shop around, there are lots of companies around the train station for Pompei that go up the volcano.

And one last comment about camping Zeus... we went back a second time to visit Pompei but this time, we took the car and parked at the camp site. It is a paid parking therefore you take a ticket at the entrance. On our way back, I enter my card to pay. The fee was 12.50E. So I enter 10E + 0.50E. I didn't have anything else so I enter 10E which the machine refused because it wanted me to pay with a smaller not which I didn't have. So I hit "Annulazione" to cancel the transaction... now my ticket comes-out but not my money. So I go see the camping guy who spoke french (like me) and explained to him the situation. He comes over to the machine and asked me if I pressed "Annulazione". After I tell him I did, he points me a note, which honestly I had not read, that simply said "Do not press "Annulazione". So he takes my card, enters it back in the machine and now the time had gone up so he says "15.00E". I explained to him I had already paid 10.50E but he said "too bad" and now he didn't speak french anymore... strange... I almost got into a fight with him because he wanted me to pay again. So please, Mr. Parking guy, why do your tickets have bar codes on them if the system doesn't recognize that I have already paid part of the fee? I told him I was fully insured with my rental car, regardless how the damage was caused, and that I would smash his gate so he said he was going to call the police. So I went back to see him after I found a tiny 5E bill tucked in my wallet, simply slaped it on the counter and he then gave me some change back and a parking pass to exit. This guy was a real idiot.

Given that this was our second terrible experience with a paid parking in europe this summer, here's a good trick if you ever come across a situation where something happens during the payment transaction and you know that you are being honest and just trying to find a solution but the idiot parking person refuses to help: simply drive your car to the gate, park it there, shut off the engine and remove your keys and NOW go negotiate with the person. Tell him that your car will remain there until HE finds a solution. Believe me, once people behind you start honking, a solution will be found quickly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank OutaouaisMan
Killcare, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Good campsite, very clean facilities, very helpful multi-lingual staff, next to Pompeii site and train station into Naples, Rome, Sorrento etc, regular bus to Vesuvius summit. Close to Autostrada yet very quiet site with lots of trees. Sites are a bit close together and there is no local market - an excellent supermarket is 5 minutes drive away.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The campsite only gets a rating of 2 due to its location, it's 100m from the entrance of the ruins, so that is basically the only convenience.
The staff at the reception is very rude and extremely unhelpful. Not once have they responded politely on a question.
The shower blocks are very unhygienic and are only cleaned by hosing down everything, so it looks for a while like the shower block is completely flooded cause they don't take the water off. There is no hot water for cleaning dishes, the pressure at the basins at the women's side is so strong that when you want to wash your hands you have taken a shower at the same time. But the pressure of the showers is very low. The toilets are the worst, not clean at all.
We camped with a tent, so for us the size of the camping spots was fine.
It would definitely not recommend to stay here, there are some other campsites around, I would check them out first.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompeii
Hotel Diana Pompei
Pompei Resort
Pompei Resort
#4 of 25 in Pompeii
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,331 reviews

Been to Camping Zeus? Share your experiences!