Open today: 09:00 - 19:30
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Pompeii - Archaeological Area.
from US$13.80
from US$36.41
from US$71.88
from US$67.86
19,749 results
All reviews audio guide free map wear comfortable shoes bucket list ticket office walking shoes plaster casts bring water bottle of water main entrance circumvesuviana train huge site we spent hours lots of water an amazing place own pace porta marina
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

It's a pity I can only add 10 photos, we took gigabytes full.
To understand the enormously of this place, it must be visited by your choose of a guide or doing it yourself at your own pace. We quite well at reading maps and with the contents of the provided booklet we strolled through the Ruins for the whole day.
Recommend suntan lotion, a hat, water bottle and little jacket to cover your shoulders from the sun on a warm day.
Charged us €15 each entrance, but worth it. I'm sure we missed several places and would love to come back because we didn't go into each house, but went to every section of the city.
There is place to purchase food and drinks inside but depending which entrance you utilize. It is close to the square and view of Naples Bay. It is unbelievably hot in summer time and gets rather busy in the afternoon. We arrived early and entered at about 10:00. The venue caters for those disabled as there are ramps all over for easy access and use.
If you have a stroller with kids no problem, that was not our case, but well worth mentioning.
There is a area to watch a virtual tour of the Ruins which is suggested, as it will complete your experience

1  Thank Jeffthehangman
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Perfect. Exactly what you would expect! Fascinating to learn of those terrible times when Vesuvius erupted. People just didn’t stand a chance

Reviewed 22 June 2018

We took a guided tour & she was informative on the different things we saw. I wish we had better weather though as she gave us the option to stay longer on our own & we would've if we weren't so wet after 2+ hours already. Other than the weather, Pompeii was amazing to see with so much history. I just can't get over the details of the buildings, roads, frescoes & human/animal casts that has been uncovered so far - about 70% of the city our guide said. I really enjoyed this outing & would go again to see more of it.

Review collected in partnership with ASUS 12 W8 IE Bookmark
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Visited in June 2018 and got there via the train from sorrento. The train was simple but very busy and very hot.
Once we got here we decided to get audioguides which were good.
On reflection if I went again would pay for a tour. The site is massive and you can't see it all. I felt we wandered around a bit and missed some of the good bits.
Will mention very little shade so take water. One small restaurant which is good but struggled to get a seat.
I know a lot of people talked about doing pompeii and vesuvius in a day. Personally after a few hours walking around in the beaming sun and after the long hot train ride we were too exhausted to do anything more. Maybe with a planned tour and air conditioned coach would be much better

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Easily the most impressive roman archaeological site I have ever been to.

The first time I had a guided tour (actual person), which I would highly recommend. I would not suggest having one of the digital audio guides as they are useless. They are very vague on what they are talking about and you are left more confused than you were before.

I would highly recommend going to the small museum near the exit to have a look at the model of the city on how it once was. It gives you some bearing and will help you understand the overall city before you go wondering.

1  Thank DeanRP