“Quirky and welcoming”

Ranked #13 of 47 Pompeii B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Quirky and welcoming”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Villa franca was a great choice for us as it is close to the ruins and just a ten min walk from the circumvesuviana railway station. The owners are helpful and friendly and it is very much like renting a room in someone's home rather than a hotel. Our room was in the main building with a double bed, day bed and bunk beds - it wasn't luxurious but it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was fine with lots of hot water although there was quite a high step to get into the shower- not a problem for us but maybe if you gave mobility problems. There was also a nice garden area with a swimming pool. The best thing about villa franca however was the food - for €12 euros per person you are treated to some absolutely delicious home made fayre - served over several courses. The hotel is right next to the railway line but that really wasn't a problem as they don't seem to run between about 10.30pm and 7am. We stayed for two nights which was perfect as a base for exploring the ruins of pompeii. Overall very good value and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Guys,
Villa Franca is a very cute place to stay!
Some words about that very hospitable, open, warm welcoming and friendly people:
we stay there with my friends in a very comfortable, clean and nice house with the garden.

I can share my experience of staying at this cool and home-like place! My friends and I did like this Villa, with its' original suppers at the open sky terrace and very opened, ready to help and hospitable people.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Xenia60
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed in Villa Franca Pompei for 10days using it as a base. There are many quirks to staying at Villa Franca. When we arrived we were shown to our room over a railway line in a large appartment building with a tremendous view of Vesuvius. We had an interestng room which was more like an appartment. Kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom enormous 30ft square balcony. Once you get used to crossing the railway line for the pool and meals it seems normal I have certainly been much further away in traditional hotel. Giuseppe, Lorena and Dominique are charming, so friendly you feel that you are guests in their home.
the location is perfect for Pompei ruins and Railway station 250m.
The pool is clean and very refreshing!
The food is home cooked local food. We chose to eat every night. The menu is what Guiseppe cooks that night. The man has no concept of portion size! I chose to try Dominic's red wine, I liked it, slightly frizzante but full bodied and perfect with the many types of pasta I tried. Breakfast is pastries, croissants filled with a whole tub of Nutella or Apricot jam and the largest doughnuts I have ever seen. Fruit juice and excellent coffee.
We had a hire car, I drove the Amalfi Coast road, to Herculaneum and up Vesuvius but I would not drive in Naples! The local driving style is interesting. Giuseppe suggested public transport each time I told him where I was intending to drive!
This hotel does not claim to be 5 star luxury. It is close to the railway line but if you want a central, clean, perfectly placed hotel in Pompei with the friendliest helpful hosts,guaranteed to increase your waistline this is the place.

Room Tip: Go over the line!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Halifax,West Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Guiseppie the owner was lovely offering us lifts when we needed them.The food was excellent and plenty of it.very clean and excellent value.If you are visiting Pompeii I would absolutely recommend Villa Franca.Even when we booked out he said we could stay as long as we liked until our coach departure.He even drove us into Pompeii Town.All the rooms have recently been refurbished in pastel colours.If you are looking for a large impersonal hotel this is not for you.It is family run,very friendly.He speaks good English and Philipe speaks French.The pool was clean and refreshing after a day in the ruins.Because it is so small and friendly we got chatting to the other guests ( sometimes with our hands )and thoroughly enjoyed our Italian experience.I would say the pool is deep and only for children who swim,not suitable for toddler unless there is an adult holding them.

Room Tip: We were in a family room which consisted of one double bed and one set of bunk beds and I noticed th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I left my wallet in my room after leaving my stay with Giuseppe and Lorena, with all my ID (except passport), credit cards and cash inside it. I couldn't make it back to Pompei so I called them and asked that they either destroy it or mail it back to me in California.

They cheerfully mailed it back, promptly and with all the contents intact. What more can I say?

Great time, great people, great pool in a relatively beach-less environment, absolutely would stay again.

Don't hesitate.

Ray

Room Tip: If you really care about what room you get, go to a hotel. I stayed in three rooms and they were al...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed at villa Franca for two nights at the end of our Italian holiday. It was a warm welcome by Giuessepe with a cold beer and soft drinks as soon as we arrived. The accommodation is easy to find and only a short walk to the entrance to the ruins of Pompeii. Our rooms were large and catered for our needs, basic but comfortable. We ate at Villa Franca with the other guests which was excellent value and quality - some of the nicest food we have experienced on our trip. Highly recommend for good, laid back , value for money close to Pompeii. Swimming pool and sunning area a big bonus for families like us too! Really lovely breakfast too!

Room Tip: We had family room by the pool - big enough for a family of 5!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a great 2 nights at Villa Franca. It was an easy walk to the ruins. Really enjoyed coming back to the pool and the fantastic meal that was waiting for us. Be prepared for a huge array of Italian food. It was a great experience overall. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Would recommend to all travellers. Especially good for families due to the pool and the location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family