“Rooms are okay but beware management”
Review of Hotel Pace Pompei

Hotel Pace Pompei
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Pompeii
Napier, New Zealand
“Rooms are okay but beware management”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

In 10 months of travel through Italy, Spain, Turkey and now India, this is the only time I felt ripped off by my accommodation.

I accidentally double booked 5 nights with this hotel with both booking.com and venere.com. When I arrived I was informed I had double booked and would have to pay for two rooms. This was wintertime, low season and the hotel was not nearly full. After conversations with the management he told me I was a nice person and he wouldn't charge me double...and that I could write a nice review for Trip Advisor. I was so grateful not to be charged double, I indeed wrote a great review.

One week later, after my review was published, my credit card was charged for another 5 nights. In subsequent e-mails ( difficult with their limited English) I was made to understand that I had not cancelled the double booking and was therefore liable, even though there website states one night will be charged in the case of a no show. I then withdrew the Trip Advisor review. Trip advisor requires a two month wait if you wish to make another review on the same place, hence I am now writing this one.

The moral of the story: if you double book make sure to cancel yourself, do not rely on the hotel to do it for you and do not trust the word of the management of this hotel in particular.

Further, customer care at booking.com was excellent and customer care at venere.com NEVER responded to any emails.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Nitboc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I didn’t like the albergo a lot. The room was spacious enough but the bathroom has seen better days, say, 20 years ago? See the picture of the mouldy shower. There was a not so clean looking shower mat I tried to avoid. I used my bath slippers in the bathroom at all times - which is a good idea anyway, but still. When I visited it was very quiet in the hotel and I had breakfast by myself several times. One of the breakfast staff would stay downstairs with me, maybe in case I needed something. She was doing dishes – there was nothing else to do - which I did not like: the noise plus it made me feel uncomfortable. Breakfast was poor with just biscuits and crackers and dry cake, nothing fresh or savoury. All the staff were friendly and there is a nice garden area but there was nowhere private. The excavations at Pompeii are the best, I spent two full days checking everything out.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We chose this hotel for its price and its location. Neither disappointed. The hotel was by the beautiful Santuario and only a few minutes’ walk from one of the entrances to the ruins. We walked the 15 minutes to Pompei Scavi station to get the bus to Vesuvius (well worth it), Herculaneum and Sorrento. From the station at the end of the road the hotel is on, we easily got the train into Naples.
The hotel itself was very pleasant, our room was spacious and clean and had good air conditioning. There was a large bathroom and the shower had a good supply of hot water. The only bad thing was that when we flushed the toilet, (clean) water sprayed out of the cistern on to the floor, making it a bit slippery. The breakfast was quite normal for an Italian hotel but there are other places nearby to buy something a bit different. Just past the breakfast room, there was a computer that we could use to go online. All in all, this was a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This hotel is quite close to the Pompei Santuario stop, making it ideal for people with luggage. Unfortunately, the hotel has multiple floors and no elevator, so make sure to request a ground floor room if this might be a problem.

Our triple room did not quite appear as it had on the website. Instead of a spacious room with an extra bed, the room looked to be the size of a standard double, with a slightly-larger-than-normal made up couch (somewhat akin to a daybed). My sister said it was comfortable enough, but not ideal for someone who isn't young.

The room also doesn't have a mini-fridge, or a safe, and the shower did leak a bit, so it is best to keep anything of importance off the bathroom floor. The air conditioning worked quite well.

The room itself has clearly seen some things (it needed some fresh paint, and the bathrooms surfaces had some rust and mold/mildew), but there is free wifi in room, and the connection was decent.

The breakfast was not worth the money, with little selection for an Italian breakfast, and many things that appeared fresh from a plastic wrapper instead of an oven. Any little bakery or cafe would have a better (and more economical) alternative.

The terrace and gardens are lovely though, and we spent time in the evenings there. The people working at the hotel were polite enough. You do have to leave the key with the staff upon leaving for the day (which is somewhat normal for hotel's in Italy), but I did notice that the staff were often away (though not far), from the desk.

Room Tip: Request a room on the ground floor if you have luggage
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelingstudent79
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Superb and friendly small hotel. Highly recommended. Great facilities and staff and free wi-fi!
A superb location close to the station to explore Pompeii from.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I chose our stay here during our visit to Pompeii based on the reviews, but was totally disappointed. Owners were friendly and the room(s) were clean, and that's where the good ends. When we checked in, the air conditioner in our room was not functioning on a hot day. After trying to figure it out, the manager moved us to another room, which we appreciated. Sorry to say though - that one worked for all of about 1 hour. The bathroom looked like it was designed for handicap access - large room, open shower. So I can't understand why there was no toilet seat!! I've seen this in public toilets in Europe, but never in a hotel. Worst of all though was the shower. Since it was an open shower, water could get on everything, including the seatless toilet which was next to it. But - the drain didn't work, which meant that after getting wet and soapy, I noticed that the floor was flooded and threatening to flood into the bedroom. Remember I said large bathroom, so that meant a lot of water!! I had to shut the water, wait about 1/2 hour for the water to drain and then mop up the floor with the towels. Sorry to leave a bad review, but I have to be honest. Ruins in Pompeii are amazing, the town doesn't have much to offer. I would recommend that visitors stay elsewhere.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank marially
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2011

When staying at Albergo Pace DO NOT get off the train at Pompeii Scavi get off at the next train station, cross the road outside the station and walk up the road directly opposite and it is on the rght. The rooms are very clean, the staff are very frendly, there is a lovely garden to sit and read or use the wii fii connection. You are 10 mins from the ruins and restaurants and shops close by. I would definately recommend this place to anyone staying in Pompeii.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo