“Great Contemporary Hotel for Procida Standards, not UK 5* Standards though...”

Hotel & Spa La Suite
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Procida Island
London
“Great Contemporary Hotel for Procida Standards, not UK 5* Standards though...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was dubious about La Suite as some reviews are quite harsh but ignore them as this is a great place. We came for 7 nights for our honeymoon and although its not really a 5* it is extremely relaxing and modern. We were greeted at the harbour by a driver (10 EUR well spent) and then greeted by two wonderful girls on reception who took our bags, showed us around and then dropped us at our room with a nice refreshing lemonade drink. We later on had a nice complementary bottle of Prosecco and fruit for our honeymoon!

Rooms are quite small but the bathroom is very modern with a big walk in shower and loads of toiletries, the bed is the MOST comfortable I have ever slept in and its AC works a treat. We were room 110 which was directly on to the pool area and had a couple of big chairs you could sit on outside.

Breakfast is just European so only pastries and fruit and juices but my wife loved having the vegetables and I loved the pastries and coffee. Not sure about paying extra for eggs though.

The pool area is fantastic, good chill out music very lightly playing in the background and a bar, the towels are provided and a couple of big double beds as well as the usual single sun loungers. The pool by mid afternoon is warm like a bath. You can also get them to bring drinks to you with food.

The restaurant food was excellent. It was about 100 EUR for 2 people with a bottle of wine and loads of great food.

Anything we asked of the staff was never too much trouble and Rossella Armato was GREAT! She was very helpful and friendly. The Spanish girl and the two who work days round the pool are lovely too.

Only bad points would be the mini bar wasn't topped up from the last people from what I could tell. The breakfast items like eggs are 4 EUR which is crazy, they should be free. Drinks are quite expensive with 2 juices and 2 coffees being 14 EUR (not during breakfast) and service could be quite slow round the pool but in all fairness it wasn't a major problem and its a chilled out place. The room is small with no storage but we lived out of our suitcase anyway.

All in all a great, clean, modern spa which is not 5* in London standards but is a 5* on here due to the pool area, comfortable bed and pleasant staff. If it was cheaper and it looked into a bigger FREE breakfast it would easily be number 1 on the island!!

Room Tip: ask for pool facing room
4 Thank RussCityboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during a trip to Procida and Naples.

The hotel is located close to the harbor and it only took a couple of minutes getting there by cab. The staff is friendly and really tries to fulfil your requests (for example, we asked for an iron and ironing board as we dont mind doing this ourselves to avoid getting charged. This could not be provided so the hotel offered to iron our clothes for free!). However, they are not very attentive and things run a little slow, such as getting your food in the restaurant, getting towels for the pool at the pool bar (which was often unstaffed) and getting your room cleaned. Also, we were not shown around the facility and had some complaints about the cleaning. Unfortunately, the staff is not very good in english so there were some misunderstandings along the way.

The location of the hotel is beautiful and the pool area is great. The pool has a nice temperature and there is enough space for all hotel guests among the sun beds. We spent several days just soaking up the sun and relaxing, which would not have been as nice if having to spend the days at the crowded beaches along the island. And this is really what you pay for, because the room (we had one facing the garden/pool area) was small, run down, lacked space for clothing, was dark and also had loose mosiac tiles in the shower.

The hotel did not meet our expectations claiming to be a 5-star hotel, especially regarding standard and service. Internationally, this is not a hotel of this standard, but comparing with other hotels in Procida, it might be one of the better ones. We really had a nice time during our stay, once we had come to terms with the fact that this was not a hotel of the standard we had expected. The island Procida is definitely worth a visit with beautiful surroundings and delicious italian food!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked La Suite for my husband and I for a short honeymoon after our amazing wedding on the neighbouring island of Ischia. It advertises itself as being a 5* luxury hotel and spa, yet feel that this is incredibly misleading for the following reasons:
When we first arrived we were offered free drinks, with emphasis on the amazing lemonade from the in-house sourced lemons. We were happy to take the hotel up on this offer; our drinks didn't turn up after 45 minutes. I went to ask again, another request was put through. Still nothing. We went to the restaurant area to find out what was happening and were left sitting for another 20 minutes with no acknowedgement from staff. We even had to ask for menus. Choice of dinner on the menu was very limited and extortionate. We gave up, went back to our room and tried again to get SOME KIND of drink (we didn't even care about free drinks at this stage), which resulted in a very uncomfortable discussion between my husband and the lady on reception. At this point we had been at the hotel for over 2 hours. After a fuss we eventually managed to get a bottle of prosecco which took the edge off.
Breakfast is a whole different issue. Obviously, everything is organic and 'sustainable', which means it comprises of olives, nuts and a few cakes. All the usual breakfast items, such as ham, cheese, eggs, etc, had to be ordered as extras. This came at a cost of 10 euros per item. Or 4 euros per egg. The hotel has bloody chickens running around. How on earth can they justify this?
Now the spa: I booked this as my husband likes a good steam every now and again. The spa area indoors is lovely; I asked on reception what the deal was with using their facilities, expecting free use as we always have with spa hotels in every other single part of the world. This place charges 40 euros to 'reserve' the spa area. We didn't want to reserve it; a half hour steam and sauna was all we wanted. The reception and spa manager wouldn't budge.
I'd like to point out that there is NO reference to these charges anywhere in the hotel. Not in the room information, nor the reception, not even in the spa entrance. Or on their website. We were reticent about using the beds by the pool for fear of being charged for those as well.
Transfer bus to and from the main areas of the island is advertised, but this is also not free and there is no mention of this in the hotel information either.
We checked out on our second day, paid up, took the taxi to the port and happily set off on the ferry back to Ischia. We were just pulling up at our Ischia hotel when I had a call from the reception at La Suite to tell us they had forgotten to give us our passports back. They told me they didn't have the staff to send them back to us, and could I pick them up on our way back to Naples for our flight home on Monday. Obviously you can imagine our reaction to that. Our Ischia hotel arranged a private transfer and we got them back that same afternoon. Thankfully.
This could be a lovely hotel; rooms are nice (although 'floor to ceiling' windows are non existent in the garden rooms). Expensive metal coathangers - lovely. Silver book covers on their in-room information - very nice. Beds are comfy and furniture comes from 'The World' according to the brochure. But this hotel has it wrong on so many levels. It's too busy trying to be cool and trendy, and the customer most definitely comes second. A shame; it was supposed to be a lovely honeymoon, but our final few days in Ischia saved us. Don't waste your money, and go to Villa Durrueli in Ischia Ponte instead.

7 Thank travelbug177
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Based on the reviews, I already had high expectations for this hotel. My expectations were exceeded. The food in the dining room was outstanding. A bit more expensive than some others, but this is why you go in the first place - for the memories. Just do it!

Room Tip: standard room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is in a nice location, the pool area is relaxing and well designed (although the whole outdoor area seems to close at 7pm which is a shame as there is a lovely cocktail bar that would be very pleasant in the evening). My initial good impression faded a little by day 2 as I encountered a couple of issues with the hotel - the brochure & website info advertises a 'fitness room' which would imply a gym or at the very least a 'room' with some weights and a cardio machine. In fact they just have an outdoor area where you can workout (all the weights are rusty, the bench is dirty and there are literally cobwebs on the very limited equipment).. but the main issue being that it's outdoors, which, as it rained solidly on the day I wanted to use a gym, was not an option. I'm surprised that as a 5* hotel advertising itself as a spa hotel they didn't have one small indoor room with a running machine and some basic fitness equipment in good condition. Another small irritation; the brochure also states that *every* room features floor to ceiling windows. Mine (standard garden view room) definitely did not. I had a narrow window with an aircon unit underneath which also came with the unpleasant surprise of letting in a large amount of water when it rained - water literally pouring in under the window frame, over the air-conditioning unit and making a large flood on the floor. Fortunately I was in my room and able to move belongings & electronics to safety, but not a great start. My bathroom also leaked during the rain - through the floor & fan wall vent leaving large puddles everywhere. Definitely some attention needed to their insulation & drainage.

The hotel also advertises free wifi in the rooms - during my stay the internet went down for 18 hours, and was only available in the restaurant (which is the only indoor public area - there's no indoor bar or lounge). Not a major deal, but I was expecting to be able to liaise with work remotely, and as there is no phone signal in the area this became an issue. I did feel that after having to go and visit the front desk on numerous occasions to deal with assorted different problems as they arose (no wifi, trying to find the non-existent gym, flooded room) I felt the staff were rather dismissive and just regarding me as an annoying guest that they'd rather not have to deal with. On top of this I was woken at 6.30am every day by housekeeping sweeping very loudly and banging furniture on the patio outside my door and then on the roof above - I had to go outside and ask them to stop. Why they felt it was necessary to do this so early is beyond me, surely it could wait until they clean the rooms? Extremely frustrating.

Obviously I understand that things like wet weather and loss of internet are beyond the control of the management, but I felt that more could have been done to resolve the issues - including offering some sort of room switch/upgrade following the flood from the leaking window or small complimentary gesture by way of an apology for the inconvenience caused.

Overall it has potential to be a lovely hotel, but some attention is definitely needed to rectify small issues which can spoil a guest's experience. I wouldn't mind if it were a 3* hotel, but for somewhere advertising itself as a 5* and charging equivalent rates I think they need to improve in these areas or revise their marketing material to a more accurate description of the hotel and its facilities.

Room Tip: Classic garden view rooms are an ok size but noise from housekeeping and flooding windows are an iss...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This smart and comfortable hotel is in the centre of the island a short taxi ride away from the ports, with good access to the popular 'postman' beach, named after the film 'Il Postino' shot on Procida.

On arrival we were given a friendly and helpful welcome and delicious fresh lemonade made with the lemons from the hotel's gardens (and a nice cake too). We asked to see a suite but declined to pay for an upgrade as, although spacious - and this was an issue see below - they were away from the pool. We decided it was better to keep our prebooked poolside room, where we could sit on the recliners outside the room and be just six or seven steps to the pool and pool snack bar (where snacks were substantial and good enough for lunch).

The pool itself (painted black oddly rather than the usual blue and looking a little like a fish pond) and the gardens are lovely and perfect for those like us wanting to escape into peace and do little or nothing other than sunbathe, dip in the pool or read for a few days.

The rooms are simple and clean but small for a five star hotel and could easily be better appointed. What really needs to change, especially in a small room, is the lack of storage for clothes and personal belongings. A minibar, with a tray of glasses and a safe on top, is nice to have but not at the expense of having too little space to put your things (and bear in mind we were only there four days and thought we'd packed quite lightly into a single suitcase). There is space in the room to have small bedside cabinets but instead there was only a little shelf from which things inevitably fell or were knocked off.

The service from welcome to departure was really lovely, putting us at our ease and responding well to any queries or requests. There is a shuttle to the port which is cheaper than the taxi but the hotel should advertise this more on their website and during the stay and ideally just include it free; this is a five star hotel after all and although good value not cheap. An offer to pick us up from the port on arrival would have been especially welcome, though taxis are easy to find to the right of the arrival area.

You'll probably want to eat in one of Procida's seafood restaurants in the three ports - La Lampare and Caracole are almost next to each other and both excellent, as was Vivara on the north west of the island - but the hotel's restaurant, though inevitably a little pricey, is very good and should be tried at least once: we had excellent salads and pastas with local produce like rabbit and octopus and there is an interesting white wine made on the hotel's grounds, though sadly it is the only wine available by the glass. Breakfasts were also very good but limited - lemon and chocolate filled pastries were nice to try but not for every day and eggs, with or without meats, were charged extra. And the juices, on an island overbrimming with all kinds of citrus, were strangely not freshly squeezed, though pleasant enough.

Overall a very good hotel indeed where you will be well looked after in a very tranquil and stylish setting but with some simple improvements that could quite easily be made which would improve the experience still further.

Room Tip: If you think you'll be using the pool and gardens a lot go for a pool room. If you want privacy...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank magnard1963
Taranto, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Wonderful hotel, wonderful staff. Upgraded to a terrace suite on arrival and treated to a Welcome drink and canapés, we were made to feel special throughout our four night stay. Breakfast was excellent and taste the incredible restaurant - fantastic food and setting. Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Take the terrace suite! The view is extraordinary!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple