“Location & Price”
Review of Domus Ester

Domus Ester
Ranked #955 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I stayed at Domus Ester in July 2012 for 3 nights and returned for another stay in January 2013 for 8 nights.
The location is perfect, near Campo de Fiori, which is why I returned, as well as the price, which is very reasonable for the area.
That being said it has it's problems, they no longer serve breakfast in the room, or at all, not a big deal but their website as well as others (booking.com) are a little misleading on this.
The entrance to the building looks terrible but when you climb to reception on the second floor it looks fine. The young lady who was there most of the time during the day is great and will do anything possible to be helpful. Others working there were not quite as helpful.
Rooms seem to vary so wildly that I can't say much either way. In January they first put me in a tiny room with a tiny window with no view, I asked to change and they put me in a much larger room with a nice big window overlooking the small street (and the neighbor about 20 feet away!).
The bed was two twins pushed together (not unusual), There is a fridge with a few complimentary drinks, a safe and a small TV (seemed to work OK) WIFI seems to be spotty depending on where your room is. I stayed near reception and it was like there was no wall separating us and I'm really not exaggerating, the other room I stayed in also had thin walls, but not nearly as bad.
Bathrooms in both rooms I stayed in were just OK, clean but not much more and I think many people would find them unacceptable (mostly the shower stalls)
There is also no longer someone at reception at all times, which along with the breakfast thing makes me think that things are going downhill even in the short time between my visits.
In finishing the location is near unbeatable, right across from Trastevere, a few blocks from the Jewish ghetto (great food!) and pretty much equal distance between Vatican City and the Colosseum, just be well aware that it's a "you get what you pay for situation" and NOTHING more.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank brian6d

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed in that "hotel" for 4 days with my sister & it's definitely not the nicest place I've ever been.... This place rely on the location which is very good,but that's the only good think about it. Their website says : wifi , mini bar , b-fast , safe in the rooms.... Unfortunately , there was no wifi in the rooms, only in the corridor . Mini bar was actually an empty & dirty fridge. No b-fast , because they decided so , although their website is still advertising it..... No safe in the rooms!!! The tv didn't work, the reception is not open 24 hours! You can't use your credit card but no one will tell u that unless u ask ! They only take cash, the website says otherwise .... When I made a complain, the guy at reception said to me " do u really need that safe? " so I asked him weather he would feel comfortable to take all his belongings with him everyday while sightseeing , he said no . After that I went out as it was only 2pm & asked to sort it out by the time we'll get back, he agreed. We came back to the hotel at around 5pm , no one came round to talk to us til the next morning. One lady cought as the next morning just before we left, to tell as that they will change our room, unfortunately everything was the same there, we did get the safe, but it didn't work... I gave up !! It's not that I am being picky , I just expect to get what I payed for. When I arrived to Rome and saw the place I was so upset, that I didn't want to stay there another minute, realising that I have no time , energi and also I didn't want to loose any time of my holiday with looking for another place to stay, We stayed there. But I wouldn't go back ! Although the servis was poor there was one lady who tried her best !

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margi14K
Reviewed 22 March 2013

loved the place. yes everything in the reviews is spot on went in march so the bin didnt smell had the room above the restaurant and outside the reception with the guy opposite who was 8 feet away and looked into his flat saw his washing on the line and could watch his t.v.its all true but its a city with small cobbled streets and people live there they have no gardens. the staff were great the city is magical. i had hot water every time i needed it with restaurants and supermarkets a stones throw away. with a fifteen minute max walk to everything you came to see what do you want. took a lap top and a travel kettle,its a guest house old style and i wouldn't hesitate to go back

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This 'hotel' is very well located to visit all Rome's main attractions on foot. The facilities were very basic, although the small fridge and wifi were a bonus. The room was mainly clean, unless you looked under the two single beds pushed together to make a double. Fresh towels were supplied every day and the broken toilet seat was fixed after 2 days. No breakfast is available.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Could be easy to find fault in the place, but what expectations could you have at this end of the market?
We was out for most of the daytime, but was too cold in February to sit outside unless you are paying tourist bar prices, so sitting in a small room for a couple of hours or so would not have been good without even bbc news to keep you company, I was able to hook my laptop up to the tv, but would have been able to stream some video to my phone at a pinch
Biggest complaint was it took 2 days to get the toilet seat screwed down to the pan, breakfast is no longer in the package despite being included in most listings, your booking form will state no meal option
Best aspects wifi and fridge in the room and of course location

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Located ideally between the campo, Tevere & Largo Argentina, the entrance isn't quite that what you would expect. Reception at the second floor. We had room 204, a 'small' basic room with bathroom/shower. For the price in that area it is ok, going from 50 to 70€ a night, you don't expect much, at that is what you get. Friendly host, luggage can be kept. Simple as said, but ideal location. Rooms are cleaned daily, fresh towels (without asking)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Comerenkwel
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I spent a whole week in this guest house just last week and it was ok.
I liked :
*the location, 5 to 10 minutes to major attractions (Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, Trastevere, Trevis's fountain, etc)
*very attractive price (40€ per night)
*breakfast was included, we did not expect it (so even if it is not much, at least we had coffee before leaving the place)
*large and clean room
I did not like :
*the cold shower every now and then
*shower saddle was broken, so you have to hold the pommel while showering
*reception was not open 24h a day, but it seems one of the employees of on sick leave

Room Tip: The Campo dei Fiori room is larger than the other rooms