“Perfect location, great experience”
Review of Domus Ester

Domus Ester
Ranked #891 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 3 June 2014

When we first arrived in Rome, my best friend and I had a hard time finding the place because it was down a tiny side street. When we finally found it (thanks to the help of a local shop nearby) I was quite disheartened because I had already had a hard day of traveling and having to carry my suitcase up 3 flights of stairs seemed like a daunting task.
When we finally made it up the stairs and into the room I became worried at what I had gotten myself into (being used to traveling with my parents and having rather luxurious accommodations) but after a good night's sleep we found that this tiny little hotel was actually our favorite place that we stayed the entire trip.
Domus Ester is in a perfect location 5-10 minutes away from all of the big touristy attractions and about a 3 minute walk from a perfect square of restaurants at night and the beautiful farmer's marketing during the day! The hotel staff was so kind and always answered our questions despite some of them having a tough time understanding English.
We loved being so close to everything and for the price this place was a sweet find! I definitely recommend for those who are looking to save a bit of money and also get the full Rome experience. I just wish we could have stayed in Rome a bit longer! :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carolyn B
There are newer reviews for Domus Ester

Reviewed 2 June 2014

There are many things that are not obvious to prospective guests, so here are some things you ought to know:

Not one police officer, Carabinieri, or city worker that I asked knew where the Domus Ester Hotel was and I asked many of them. Police have hand-held computers to help tourists but the Domus Ester is not listed on them. Two taxi drivers had the same large directory which listed the hotel so they were able to take me home after evening activities. I love to walk and I'm a whiz with a compass and a map, but the small streets are not on the maps and many streets are only one or two blocks long with no name markings. It was very hard to find my way back to the hotel in the tiny alleyways of the Campo Fiori neighborhood.

The entrance to the hotel is full of graffiti and more suited to a soup kitchen than a hotel. Sit down for this one: The "check in desk" is on the 4th floor, four ten-step staircases, 40 steps up to the check in desk. Carrying any luggage? Try carrying it up 40 steps because THERE IS NO ELEVATOR.

The walls and ceilings are paper thin. That was no problem for me because I used to sleep on the NYC subways to and from work, but I heard people complaining about being unable to sleep because there were conversations going on in other rooms or above them. There are no telephones in the rooms so if you want to speak to someone at the "front desk," you have to get out of bed, put something on and go to them, but you will be able to find someone on duty all night.

This part of Rome has deteriorated since I was here five years ago. It is heavily graffitied, on walls, doors and shop windows even in the better streets that are full of restaurants and expensive shops.

The hotel is VERY OLD and the rooms are VERY SMALL.

The staff is wonderful and as helpful as they can be under the circumstances and when I stayed there breakfast was included.

Most troubling for me was the forty step climb and the lack of an elevator as I am elderly and on the heavy side. I wish I had gotten more information about the Domus Ester Hotel before I booked it as I would have chosen more wisely.

Room Tip: Choose it in another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Micki S
Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you are a Penitent, if you think "good value for money" means you have to put up with a depressing situation, if you want to suffer for being an arty person, then by all means book into here. But seriously, She will not think you are Mr Wonderful if you book into here.
Rome is a big enough place that you can still find value for money and not have to be in a dump.This part of the Campo di Fiori is poorly maintained, it is full of graffiti, rubbish, and not cheerful at the least. The door way to this hotel is covered in graffiti, leading into a depressing, poorly lit, grungy and dingy hall way-and there is no elevator.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Summrs
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It has a really good location in Rome downtown, it is close to the main attractivities. The rooms are small but clean. The service is good even if sometimes we had to ask for toilette paper/glass. I would reccomend it if you need a place to sleep in Rome.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel represents excellent value for money. It's centrally located 2 minutes walk from Campo dei Fiori, 10 minutes to Piazza Navona and 20 minutes to the Colosseum. The rooms were small, but very clean, and retained some traditional features in keeping with the location. There was air con, a mini-bar fridge and tv. The bathroom had a good shower and basic toiletries and hairdryer were supplied. The 'hotel' is spread over 2 floors of a traditional building accessed by stairs without a lift, so not suitable for those with mobility issues. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I would always use this hotel when I visit Rome from now on. If you want somewhere, clean, comfortable and centrally located to stay when in Rome, then I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We booked an economy double room and there wasn't much difference between the deluxe double ( th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We booked up 4 nights in this hotel, however only stayed a couple hours because we found LIVE BED BUGS!!! We liked the location of the hotel and found the staff unbelievably friendly and kind. Luckily never unpacked and found another location for a similar price near Station Termini. The current owners purchased this hotel in March or April, not knowing there was a bed bug problem. The problem still exists so I would NOT reccomend this hotel until this problem is taken care of.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank margarittaville561
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We had a perfect stay at Domus Ester and were truly satisfied with everything, a specially the location; we could go any place by walking.

But when we came home, we found out that we been awfully bitten by BED BUGS.
So even though it was a wonderful stay over all, I wouldn't recommend you to go there, it's not worth it,

Room Tip: Watch out you don't get a room full of BED BUGS!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple