“Great staff, great rooms and great location!”
Review of Hotel Opera Roma

Hotel Opera Roma
Ranked #419 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Canada
“Great staff, great rooms and great location!”
Reviewed 5 October 2009

This was my friend and I's first time to Rome. When looking for hotels we were so overwhelmed as there are so many to choose from, and Rome is SOOOO vast that its nearly impossible to determine where it is to stay location wise. We chose Hotel Opera Roma (formerly Hotel Sonya) mainly for the price. Rome is incredibly expensive, and we decided to find a basic hotel that was clean and decent location, but try to keep it around $200 canadian a night. Hotel Opera was really the only one that fit our budget and from the pictures looked very clean, there were mixed reviews on location, but for the price, we booked it. When we arrived...the hotel went above and beyond our expecations. The hotel is AMAZING. The rooms are small...but who cares! They're modern looking, spotless, air conditioned, and very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and the water pressure in the shower worked wonderful. Breakfast was included in the price. You walk into the breakfast room and the first thing you see is a friendly face asking you how you like your coffee. The lobby has two computers, and the hotel gives you free internet access which was such a blessing because we used it to email friends and family back home so we didn't have to use the phone.

The staff is undoubtedly the nicest people in ALL of Rome. Honestly, italians are rude. People are mean, and they mostly do not provide service with a smile. But at Hotel Opera...its so refreshing because they are soooooooo nice! If it wasn't for this hotel and our wonderful stay there, my overall trip to Rome would be just mediocre (because like I mentioned before, Italians are quite rude even at restaurants and major sites. Our food experience in most of rome was mediocre, which was so disappointing and everything is expensive!). So thank you to the staff for making my trip to Rome a little more memorable.

Before you arrive, make sure you email the hotel and ask for shuttle service from the airport. Its 15 euro one way for each person. You can take the train from the airport to the Termini and walk 10 minutes to the hotel OR from the termini take the metro to the 'Opera theater' stop and walk 3 minutes to the hotel from there for about 11 euro, but if you have lots of luggage...I don't recommend it. Arrange with your hotel a shuttle back to the airport while you're checking in so that you don't have to worry about a ride when you check out.

Location wise...this hotel in my opinion is GREAT! It was perfectly situated. Its about a 20 minute walk to the spanish steps, trevi fountain and collseum...but if you don't want to walk, then DON'T. The metro is only like a 2minute walk away, and for 4 euro a day, you can ride all day to where ever you need to go, Vatican, Colleseum, Spanish steps, trevi fountain, Termini Station...it will take you there in minutes. Its so easy to use! We never used a taxi not once our entire stay there. There was absolutely no need. The only time we walked was when we were out after 1am (metro stops running), even then, we didn't find the walk that bad, especially because we the hotel provides a map, which honestly is the best map ever. We never got LOST because of that map. Our first time finding our way around was a little difficult because there are no street signs in Rome! The street names are on the side of buildings which can be hard to make out, but after figuring our way around the first time, you just start to remember the routes, so the next time you walk back, its easy.

I liked that our hotel was central enough to be close to the major sites, but its nesteled on a tiny side street so that you're away from the hustle and bustle of the crazy Roman traffic. Me and my best friend are both female and we would be out walking about until 1-2am in the morning, and never felt unsafe. The neighborhood is not shady. That is why i think that is perfectly situated. I've seen hotels by the spanish steps and trevi fountain, and I'm glad that we did not decide to stay there because its way dirtier, shady and full of traffic and people, and the hotels look run down and old. I am very happy with where our hotel was situated.

There are restuarants and pubs around the hotel if you want something to eat nearby, but I can't really recommend any of them because I didn't really like the food nor the service at any of the places we tried, so go around and experience yourself, you may have a better experience than me. If you want AMAZING italian food for great prices and friendly service, I highly reccomend taking a day trip into Florence, you won't be sorry. The best italian food of our whole Italy trip!

So to sum up....STAY AT HOTEL OPERA! Even if it costs a little more, its worth it for the service and location!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank j_ho_holla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maryland
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Hotel Opera is located within a short walk to Termini Station, making it a very convienent location.
Yet the hotel room we had was very quiet and comfortable. The staff is very, very helpful and go out of their way to help you. We strongly recommend this hotel as an affortable, convienent and pleasurable location while staying in Rome.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Middle East
Reviewed 3 October 2009

stayed at Hotel Opera Roma for 3 nights and realy love it ,within 10-13 minutes from termini station and subway stops ,if you walk from termini station to the hotel the easiest way is to walk to Piazza Repubblica & walk down on Via Nazionale than make left on via Firenze (follow the Hotel Centro sign the building is next to the hotel) .
on my arrivel I was given a room on the 5th floor which had a strong cigarette odor after complainnig that I can't stay there I switched to a room on the 1st floor (No 102) which had a bigger bathroom and save me useing the realy small and nerrow elevetor.
the rooms are not that big but very clean and have all modern facilities from flat screen tv ,safe ,air condition unit ,mini bar ,hair dryer (with 120v-220v outlet) Free WIFI I even got a complementary asus eee laptop for my entire stay which was a big plus for me .
the breakfast is very basic but good to start the mornning.
the street of the hotel is very quiet and felt safe all the time however in some rooms you can hear any noise, the stuff is very freindly & speak english and given me a city map and marks all main attractions for me.
this is not the chipest hotel if you are on a budget but it's worth every cent ,I will definitely see myself staying there again .

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Very enjoyable 3 night stay; staff very helpful in accomodating us. Close to most
sights in Rome; easily accessible by walking. Train & subway stations very near
also. Breakfast included in rate was very satisfactory. Bathrooms very nice(big clean shower area). Lots to like!!

Branson, MO
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We like everything about this accomodation and the service was excellent. Just remember when traveling in most European countries - there are no washcloths or bar soap. The rooms in the new part where we stayed were modern and very clean. They also provided a computer with internet service to use in the room at no additional cost. We were within easy walking distance to all the major sites in Rome. We would stay there again.

County Durham, England
Reviewed 27 September 2009

The hotel is situated approximately 10 minutes walk from Stazione Termini (where the bus from the airport terminates). This was my first visit to Rome and I found the hotel difficult to find from the directions given - the hotel is not 'exactly in front of the famous Opera House of Rome' as stated in the hotel literature. It is more like if you are standing looking at the entrance to the Opera House the hotel is located in th street running down the left hand side of the Opera House (look for Hotel Centro sign). However the hotel was in a good location with a selection of restaurants within walking distance and one of the many hop on hop off buses 'bus stop' is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel - it took us approximately 25 minutes to walk to the Colloseum. The hotel staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. The hotel room was very clean with good facilities - (whirlpool) bath/shower, TV, tea/coffee facilities, mini bar and small safe. Breakfast was a selection of cereal, bread, meat, egg, tea/coffee/juice and pastries. I threw my coin in the Trevi Fountain so will hopefully return to Rome one day and I would be more than happy to stay at the Hotel Opera Roma again.

• Stayed September 2009
Kiama Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Our stay in Rome was very pleasurable. At first we found it difficult to find the hotel as it was not the type of enterance we were used to but not unlike othe rhotels in the area. Once we found the hotel we were treated extremely well and the gentleman in reception couldnt do enough for us. The room was clean neat and tidy and breakfast in the morning was very nice.
I have no complaintss about this hotel and would recommend it .