“The Arches Rome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #309 of 3,736 Rome B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“The Arches Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Tour Rome and you will notice that the arch is a foundational tenant of the Roman architectural style. The Arches takes it name from the many hallway and window archways in this legal second floor B&B three flat apartment. The windows look out on a fantastic courtyard or a neighborhood gelato depending on your view. I had a chance to see every room as I was the first person to arrive that day, each room is very spacious, clean and comfortable. Each room has it's own bathroom with bath/ shower or both, my room the blue one even had a bidet! The green and blue rooms have private enclosed terraces that could be hangouts or room for extra guests in warmer times. Overall I had a pleasant stay at the Arches considering it home for three days .

The best aspects of the arches are:

1. The location is convenient, quite and has it's own local flavor. From Termini, Ottaviano is a 15 minute ride on the A metro line. It is an easy transfer from the FCO train with luggage as there are elevators and ramps. On arriving you will find within a four block radius, an organic grocery store, wine bar(wine + buffet for 8 EU!), bank, pharmacy, theater, restaurants, cafes and a few artisan clothing stores. There is also a 24 hour pastry shop Dolce Maniera that is out of this world I wound up stopping there every time I walked by (note the text book Italian dialogue for ordering pastry).

2. The flat felt like home with a kitchen ready for pasta , sofa and computer w/printer. There were 3 different locked entrances to get to my room so I always had a feeling of safety. In addition during the day there was a porter.

3. The proprietor Paolo was very accommodating. Without asking he showed me the two things I needed to know most, where to find more espresso pods and towels. He spoke perfect English and was extremely knowledgeable of the different areas of Rome. He was also available during the day via TXT message and phone. He got back to me when I had questions.

I have stayed in similar style B&Bs in Europe and in Asia and usually they are run down and smelly. This was surprisingly nice and cheery for my needs. Paolo also told me that sometimes he rents the rooms to families so this might be an option for future visits. A few things to keep in mind, there is no front desk, while they did provide juice, espresso, coffee, tea , yogurt and different packaged roles, I supplemented my breakfast everyday with fresh pastry on my way to the metro. Ciao and have fun in Rome!

Room Tip: The blue room is off the main street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sturgis, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I'd never stayed in a bed and breakfast, much less one in Europe. I didn't know what to expect: would the host talk my ear off, is it safe, could I get help?

I never should've worried. Paulo at Arches took care of everything. He had a car waiting for us at the airport, we had a swift but uneventful ride from the airport, our driver had our Vatican tickets in hand so we could jump out of the car and into the Papal audience with no delay. Paulo provided us with a map of how to get to Arches from St. Peter's Square (a real godsend, since we were completely turned around and didn't even know in what direction to go upon leaving the Square). When we got there, Paulo gave us a 15-minute overview of everything, his cell number, and said "Good luck. If you need me, call or text." We bumped into him a few times, but we didn't need anything further until we checked out . . . which was just as smooth as checking in.

The price was about half of what a hotel would've cost. The place was immaculately clean and our private bathroom huge. The bed was extremely comfortable. I honestly couldn't have expected more.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pontoon Beach, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a wonderful first 4 days in Rome, Paolo was terrific. He was very considerate to show us the best places to eat, food shop and sites to see. We were in the Yellow room and was spacious for 3. The ability to access the kitchen anytime made it convenient to our schedule. The location of the Arches on Bartolommeo was perfect for the mom and pop shops that sell cheeses, meats, bread, wines. Also for restaurants. We also stayed in their new location in the blue room. This is in a more upper end of town location. However within 1 block you are at the metro, grocery store and a few restaurants and shops. I think it is a bit pricier in the shops but still a great location.

Pricing is wonderful, we traveled the 2nd week of November during their low season. Highly recommend this company!

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

we were in Rome and we enjoyed Arches b&b; Paolo is very nice and he gave us all the tips we needed to have a great experience; All the staff, Chiara, Fabio and Massimo, is very helpful!!! they speak english and PORTUGUÊS, and it was very important for us because our english is not very good...
Location is GREAT!!!! close to metro and bus stop, and you can reach Vatican city, Vatican Museum and other monuments by walking.
The room, we got the blue one, was large and clean;
I definitly reccommend it and....thank you guys for all!!!
Edter

Room Tip: the blue room is very good!!!!
Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Yellow room is where my family of 4 stayed and we absolutely loved it. The room was very large. The pillows and bed were better then the places we stayed in across Italy, France, and Germany. The shower was very large. large enough for my wife and I to share with room to spare. The breakfast was perfect for the family and especially the kids who are 10 and 11 years old. The room had its own bathroom and shared a common room for dining and a kitchen with only 2 other rooms. It was located in a safe looking area and close to the Metro (2 minute walk) and the Vatican museum. The most impressive aspect was care that Fabio took to tending to our needs. We did not have to go to the counter to check out because he came to us and upon our asking immediately (we waited only 3 minutes in the garden area) a cab was there to take us to the airport and on to our next city.

Room Tip: If you have a family of 4 choose the yellow room. This was really the best place we slept in.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Very conveniently located near good non-touristy restaurants and the Vatican museum. Clean, except for the shower which didn't drain well. The hotel keeper insisted on being paid in cash--so keep that in mind. Otherwise very friendly and clean and affordable!! Nice place.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

liked it so much. The place is nice and strategically located just five minutes walking from the vatican, but in a quiet area. The metro was 100 meters away. The host was alwaus available and gave us a lots of useful tips...thank you Paolo! I would definetely recommend arches !

• Stayed October 2013