“A fantastic experience!”

Ranked #78 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
tromsø
“A fantastic experience!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this beautiful hotel. It was a fantastic experience to find such a quiet oasis that close to the hectic senter og Rome. The rooms have caracter and the breakfast was really good. And the surroundings during the breakfast was even better if you choose to sit out in the courtyard. Not a Hotel to choose if you like to sit in the bar and listen to music, has this Hotel do not have a bar. But, i would still highly recommend it. Quiet, everything in walking distance, babyfriendly, historic and a luxury feel all over.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We loved this hotel. The rooms and facility were beautiful and truly unique. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly - there was a woman in the reception area whose smile made my day every time I interacted with her. The breakfast staff were lovely.

And they were very helpful. Our first room was a "nook and cranny" room - all triangles, that looked over an inner courtyard. We loved it, and had fun 'scattering breadcrumbs' behind us so that we could find it again! However, i cut my foot in the shower on our first night there. It was a bad cut, and my husband called the desk. They showed up with antiseptics, tape, bandages, cotton, a mop and extra towels. They moved us to an even nicer room the following morning - it overlooked the inner garden.

One caveat - if you catch a cab from the train station to here, make sure you get a 'real' cab, and tell them up-front that the fare will be about 15 euroes. We got a scam cab who charged us 50 euroes - his car looked official but it wasn't. If you feel like you're being fleeced, have the cabbie pull into the parking area and go get the receptionist to help sort things out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NROA
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I booked this hotel on friends suggestions and I was not disappointed. As previous reviewers have noted, it is a restored 16th century monastery. The chapel is more than worthy of a view as are some of the many common areas. The hotel sits in a great location in Trestevere, just a short walk to restaurants, shopping, the Tiber and the bridges over the Tiber. The staff is pleasant and accommodating. I stayed in room 123 which was large. It featured both a huge bathtub and separate shower (although I could not get hot water in the shower). There is individual hv/ac in each room which was preset for two of the three days at 23.5 the third day it was turned down to 21 and try as I might, I could never get it to change. These glitches in amenities were not enough for me to reach staff about, I just moved on. The breakfast, included in the cost of the room, was a great way to start the day. The hotel has free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while in Rome for business and thought it was a terrific hotel. The building is a beautiful converted convent and still has an ornate chapel that's part of the building. It's quite lovely and atmospheric, making you feel like you're in medieval Rome.

The room was comfortable enough (if a bit small), quiet and the breakfast was great. The hotel is located in the Trastevere neighborhood which is across the Tiber river. You can walk out of the hotel and down a street with tons of low key wine bars, restaurants and shops, but this isn't central Rome. This worked for me and I appreciated being a bit off the tourist beaten path but wouldn't be ideal if you expect to walk out of your room and see the Colosseum.

Overall a lovely and unique hotel that's well worth the price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank katgut
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Lovely old convent converted to a hotel with breakfast in a beautiful garden. Great location in Trestevere and gracious, friendly staff who had great restaurant and logistical advice. Our room overlooked the city which i thought was equally as good to overlooking the garden.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George R
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I spent a long weekend in this hotel with my husband. I found it very romantic. It is a special place in the center of Rome, where you can feel the old and true atmosphere of Rome. The romos are very spacious and ellegant designed. I fully recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Right. Let me start with the positives, and there are so many. The place is just gorgeous and atmospheric, indeed so much so that I proposed to my fiancee (now wife) on the rooftop terrace here last year and returned here to stay during my wedding celebrations a fortnight ago in Rome. The breakfasts are delicious and there is plenty of choice. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly and the rooms were impeccably clean and very well serviced. On staying here a fortnight ago for my wedding celebrations, all went excellently, that is, until the end - and bill-pay time.

To make a long story short, members of my family and my wife's family also stayed here for a number of nights for the wedding period. Two family members, who left the hotel a few days in advance of us, were undercharged by the hotel for one night each. So, what did this hotel do to remedy this? It lumped those room charges on our room without any basis for doing so whatsoever, merely because the guests who were undercharged were our relations! And declined to mention this when presenting our final bill.

The cherry on the cake was that this "mistake" (as they called it) only took an hour to ascertain with Reception on checkout, with A4 sheets of paper and biros being used, calculators, estimates and a lot of exchanges between staff in Italian. I ended up having to ring my family member who was undercharged by the hotel to ask for her credit card number to pay fully for the room for which she was undercharged as the hotel did not retain the credit card records.

Bottom line was that the hotel cocked up in undercharging other guests, and tried to make it our problem with a complete absence of transparency. In the end, and after my insistence that I was only paying that which I owed, and not anything else, did the hotel embark on a trawl through its records to see how our bill was so steep (in excess of €400 more than we had anticipated).

All of this left a sour taste in the mouth after a lovely stay. This place was originally getting five stars from me but owing to the attempted loading of our bill and (dare I say) outright dishonesty, they're getting one star. If I could give no stars, I would. I have no time for dishonesty in circumstances where we stayed here for nine nights, and our families for several nights each (i.e. a lot of money was spent in this hotel). So for the hotel to try and load our bill without a transparent explanation is just not on. Were it not for the fact that we were on the ball, they may very well have gotten away with it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family