“A wonderful place but no view at all if you choose a classic room”

VOI Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel
Ranked #83 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We chose this hotel due to the area it is placed in, in Rome and due to the comments in here.
The breakfast is overwhelmingly good. The rooms are not as big as they look on the professionel pictures and not as clean. Bathrooms are very wonderful and clean, but we didnt get new shampoos and shower baths every morning. Please notice that we were told that none of their "classic rooms" have views... which is kind of dissapointing. The staff were very nice and very helpful. The garden in which we had our breakfast every morning was very beautiful and the beds were very comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want a view do not order the classic rooms, they told us that none of their classic rooms has...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria_CPH_35

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I loved this place for several reasons: the location, the room, the breakfast, and the bar. Of course the history didn't hurt: it was a convent centuries ago and has a chapel where mass is said daily. Now, the mass did not interest me, but the chapel is austere and appealingly quiet. The breakfast features that incredible single-layer cake found all over Italy, but these! These were absolutely divine every morning! Great variety, too, not just the usual. We walked down the streets each day and night to museums, churches, restaurants, bars, shops--- and the night was quiet for sleep. I also enjoyed the silent bats in the courtyard at dusk. I would go back in a flash, but I would not take small children. The vibe is too adult.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TennisAnya
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Beautiful hotel. Loved the courtyard for breakfast and relaxing after a day of touring. Very peaceful and tranquil yet close to everything. Staff was amazing and our room was perfect with a balcony overlooking courtyard. I highly recommend this hotel and will return again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Wow... I LOVED this hotel. And will definately stay here again! This sure is a beautiful boutique hotel and its in the most beautiful location / part of rome. Everything was walking distance and the restaurants surrounding are just devine. The employees were so lovely. Breakfast was delicious, coffee was just perfect, the grounds were kept imaculate... I would highly recommend anyone to stay here. My husband I will DEFINATELY be back some day. What amazing memories we have at this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura Q
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My teenage daughter and I spend five nights at this hotel in April. It is a lovely oasis away from the hustle and bustle of Rome, off-the-beaten-path in Trastevere. The building is beautiful with a peaceful, tranquil feel (undoubtedly that is why it made a good convent!). Staff is friendly and very helpful. Breakfast is excellent and my daughter still longs for their hot chocolate. Our room was fine - not particularly terrific which is why I didn't give the hotel 5 stars. It was actually a bit noisy at night - our window opened onto street that seemed to get a lot of traffic. Follow others' advice and ask for a room on the central courtyard. Trastevere is a wonderful place to stay - lots of small restaurants, shops, etc. Much more intimate than across the river however it does not have great access to public transportation. We didn't really mind as we enjoyed walking but by the end of the trip, we were hopping in taxis.

Room Tip: Request a room on the central courtyard to avoid street noise at night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynda S
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My stay here was simply the worst I've ever had in a hotel, be it 4 or 3-star.

First of all, while some people like the fact that it spreads out over a wide area rather than vertically, for me it meant that the place was a maze, and aside from the porter showing me to my room the first time I had no idea of how to get around. The place seemed labyrinthine, and I found myself retracing my footsteps across wet courtyards in the rain with my suitcase to then see that other people had taken other dry routes which absolutely had not been shown to me and which weren't indicated anywhere. The only basic directions anywhere were that 0 on the lift actually meant first floor, 1 meant second and so on, which was great.

Then, the night there: the room itself was decent enough in that it was nice and had everything you'd need, but I was woken up in the early hours by some drunk people on the nearby street who went on shouting for ages. Once I had fashioned makeshift earplugs I still couldn't get back to sleep, because there was a flash of light every few seconds. I thought I was just going mad until I realised that it was the light on the smoke detector on the ceiling which was clearly far too bright and actually gave enough light for me to see everything in the room despite the darkness. I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. I didn't sleep at all and then felt terrible all day the next day.

Then, the breakfast was a bit all over the place since nothing had a sign on it to specify what it was (juices and water etc.) which seems a bit miserable for €140 a night. Then, when I was checking out they didn't actually ask how my stay was which is the standard in any decent hotel anywhere on the planet.

All in all it was just terrible.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Colin M
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Donna Camilla Savelli is a treasure. I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else in Rome. IT's out of the busy streets around Trastevere, but just a ten minute walk or ride to be back to that zone. The staff and the architecture and the decor take you back to an earlier time in Rome's history, a combination of luxury and ascetics. The building is beautiful - if you have a choice, choose the second floor room with a balcony overlooking Rome below and the central courtyard garden. There is a fantastic restaurant a few doors down that the staff recommended - not to be missed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com