“Avoid avoid avoid”

Lowenhaus
Ranked #1,602 of 12,162 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, German, Bar, Pizza, European, Pub, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
London
“Avoid avoid avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Dreadful dreadful food. We ended up here by mistake (after too much wine and we were starving), and it really was a mistake. Please do not go here.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Apple75

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A German Beer Hall by a Piazza”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

My fiancé and I went here for lunch before heading back home. Greeted by a waiter promptly and we picked a table outside. It was a busy lunchtime and they were short staffed, as it was New Year's Day. Our waiter brought us our menus quickly. A mixture of German and Italian foods. We ordered antipasti to share, followed by spaghetti carbonara for me and pappardelle in tomato for my fiancé, and then we ordered sausages with potatoes and cabbage salad. We order two different beers to try. I ordered a large bottle of water but the waiter told me they only had small ones, so we went with that.
The beer came quickly and was good.
A waitress brought us a bread basket. The bread looked nice but inside the basket were open, empty sauce packets that were probably from the previous diners, which was quite off putting! Because it was so busy, we didn't get the opportunity to ask for another.
There seemed to be very few staff around.
Our antipasti came after about 30 minutes. It did take a long time (while we were waiting, the waiter told another table that food was taking a long time to cook, up to 40mins, which he hadn't told us). It came on a wooden board and looked lovely. A good selection of meats and some cheese. Very simple and tasty.
Our past came after another 20 mins. My spaghetti was really good. My fiancé's pappardelle was also very good. Generous portions. We were quite full after the pasta!
It took another 30 mins before our sausages arrived. They were nice and so were the accompaniments. It was a shame we were so full from the pasta!
Paid the bill by card. Had to go down into the main restaurant to go to the till. There was a whole restaurant down the stairs with two or three rooms full of tables! If we'd have known about this, we probably would have sat inside! It was quite atmospheric with a "German Beer Hall" feel. Wooden tables, boar's head on the wall, beer on tap.
While paying the bill, I noticed that there were plenty of large bottles of water around. Not sure why our waiter told us he only had small bottles?
The toilet is tiny. One door leading into a small room with one toilet for men and one toilet for women. Made making a line for the toilet quite difficult.
All in all, a pleasant meal. Probably let down by the fact that it was New Year's Day and they seemed to be very short staffed. I would come here again and see if it was better another day.

• Visited December 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Bad food, cold basement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

My boyfriend and I thought some German beer and pub food would be a good lunch during a day of sight seeing. We were wrong. I ordered a Caesar salad with chicken, he ordered schnitzel. To be fair, the waitress asked if he wanted to order a side. We assumed she meant an extra side. The schnitzel arrived as the only thing on the plate and was tasteless. My Ceasar salad tasted all right at first, but after I had eaten a bit, I realized that the dressing was only on the top and I was left with plain lettuce. On top of that, the lettuce hadn't been dried, and there was a pool of water in the bottom of the bowl. The chicken in the salad was not seasoned and was tough. The restaurant is in the basement and was really cold. They did bring complimentary cookies at the end of the meal which were nice.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Robin E
Rome, Italy
“Lowenhaus in November 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We found Lowenhaus by chance ,as it was near our hotel ,& we had a number of meals there. It was very close to Piazza del Popolo in a not very attractive side street but we felt comfortable there & were looked after very well by all staff(especially the manager). Surprisingly for November we sat outside but with heaters nearby just in case.The menu suited us & we particularly enjoyed chicken with vegetables/ vegetarian pizza./tiramisu. Complimentary home made biscuits & liqueurs were served at the end of every meal & we admit to looking forward to them! We recommend Lowenhaus & certainly ,if we return to Rome,we would definitely eat there.

• Visited November 2013
Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
“Not good, price / quality bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

The quality of the meal was not high:
- dry bread, also according to my wife
- the unionsoup was not warm
- the quality of the porkmeat and baked patatoes was poor. Lots of olive-oil floating on the food and plate: nothing to do with a german restaurant.
The price of the food was relatively high.
My wife was more positive. She ordered some ham, buffalo mozaralla with tomatoes and after that raviolli.