““Small but clean””

When In Rome Accommodation
Ranked #2,863 of 3,779 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2012

It is a very small single floor 3-4 rooms hotel?. plus point - it is VERY clean. Make sure to come with location map. All buildings are looking same and no body in the area knows the hotel. There are no signboards even. Only a small sign-card along with calling bell. As the staff is not always at hotel, inform early when u r arriving. Be prepared to lock and unlock many doors! Locality is safe but there are some strange people on roads as it is very near Termini. But again Safe enough.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RAJKalyani7

Reviewed 27 July 2011

As others have reviewed, this is a small establishment in a building and not very well marked. It's advisable to print some directions (we had a Google map) and look for When in Rome on the buzzer by the door as its in a building that is also residential so doesn't readily stand out as a hotel. I should note that as a female traveller, on both stays I never felt unsafe walking at night to and from the hotel.

I had stayed at When in Rome with a friend at the end of April 2010, and when returning to Rome this May with my mother booked at this hotel again. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Termini station which contains the Metro, and really couldn't be more convenient for visiting Rome. On my first stay, we buzzed up and someone met us downstairs and escorted us up. On the second visit, nobody was at reception when we arrived. Just arriving off a flight from Canada which was delayed by a few hours, and having no phone, we were a bit upset. We were not told that there would be no one there, and although on the previous visit I had noticed that reception is not staffed 24/7, I thought they only left after all guests arrived that day. We lugged our suitcases down the street and found an internet cafe with phones, and managed to call the number listed by the buzzer for When in Rome. By the time we walked the half block back to the building, someone was there to greet us and let us in, asking why we arrived at that time (only around 4 pm.) to which we expained the late flight arrival. I think our exhausted expressions explained it all.

The elevator is extremely small, and it was a struggle to fit two of us and our suitcases (although small and carry on size) plus backpacks, but it was operational. We were given keys to come and go as we pleased, but note that you will have a key for the building, another gadget to call the elevator, a key to open the door to the floor, then another for your room. The key to the floor is large and bulky and you will have to keep these on you. At reception we were given a map, breakfast vouchers to use at a cafe around the corner (cappuccino and pastry - they did substitute juice for the cappuccino.) The cafe was always busy and breakfast was adequate. Reception was friendly and on both visits pointed out all the main attractions on the map for us. The credit card machine was not working on arrival, so we paid in cash. We were given the option to pay the next day though if we needed to visit a bank machine.

On both visits I found the hotel to be kept acceptably clean. On a few occasions the shared bathrooms were a bit wet after others had showers, but we brought shower sandals to avoid this in anticipation of having a shared bathroom. There is free wi-fi and logging on was never a problem. I never had a problem getting to sleep, but i'm a pretty sound sleeper. The walls are pretty thin, however, and if you have problems sleeping this may not be the place for you. It all depends on who you have for fellow guests. During the day reception can be loud, talking and playing music. We weren't around often during the day though, so only noticed this on the morning that we were packing to leave and it didn't bother us at all.

What I really liked about this hotel was that as we were preparing to leave and just reached the entryway to drop off our keys to reception the person at the desk asked where we were headed to next. We told him we had a train booked to the Cinque Terre, but it wasn't for several hours. Without us asking, he offered us to leave our bags in the hall, since someone would be there to watch them, and we could enjoy our last few hours in Rome. We felt that this was a nice offer, and let us see a few last things we wanted to check out that we didn't have time for during our stay.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. It was kept clean, reception is friendly. Would I stay here again? Most likely, although the price increased significantly (about 15 euros a night I believe) from my first to second stay. Since I was running out of time to book a hotel, liked the convenience to Termini, and knew what to expect I booked my second visit at this hotel without too much research into other places. If I were to return, I would do more research into similar hotels to find out if the value is comparable. If so, I wouldn't hesitate to book here again. For a simple, clean room with free wi-fi and breakfast, close to the trains and metro, I felt this was a good deal. I gave it three stars because it was a clean, safe, no frills place to rest your head at night.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Europe_Bound_2010
Reviewed 13 June 2011

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RAJKalyani
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We had booked this accomadation 8 months earlier and prepaid.Upon arrival we were taken to another room a few streets away, so I cannot give any reviews ,didnt even get in the door.I had read about this happening, but I thought that staying there for 5days we would be ok.I was very dissapointed, I asked why and was told it was newer??
In saying that the new roomFriendship Palace was very clean and newely repubished and the landlady was very sweet and cleaned our rooms eveyday,but a very basic room
with no tv, but did have free internet.I think the price was to high for this particular room ,but would recommend if you want a basic clean room. as far as When in Rome , cant trust them

Room Tip: listen to reviews
Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2011

1: if u want to stay in this hotel. make sure you have a cellphone. i came on april 5th but my cellphone doesnt work in italy. there is noone answer the door. i keep press the door ring amd knock the door for 10 mins. but no one came down.its 10pm that day , we are all very tired.so we have to stay in the hotel next but still has to be charged for that night.
we called the hotel after. they told me there is no way to get reservation back. he came out that night for a dinner.
2: the price is not cheap. the 3star hotel next to it cost us 100euro but way better service. (at least 24hour guy at the front desk)

Room Tip: no no no. not that one
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zhangy
Reviewed 28 March 2011

This was an amazing place for the price we paid! 2 minutes walk from Termini station made it very easy for us to move around Rome via public transportation. The room itself was pretty roomy. Nice, friendly reception staff. Simple, free breakfast from a cafe around the corner (Croissant and coffee). Room and bathrooms were clean. I was a little worried about the shared bathroom before getting there, but had no issues. The elevator is really tiny, but didn't have trouble activating it. They helped us arrange for a taxi to the airport when we were leaving. I'd definitely recommend it

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2011

For the price we paid, it was absolutely a good place to stay. It ´s near to the Termini main Station (also the Metro Station with connection to many lines in Rome), so it is really convenient to travel around.

Collosseo and other spots are about 15 Min on foot. Around the area there are also some nice coffee. The only minus point is about the old lift (but what can u expect more in the old rome) and u need quite many different keys to get into the room.

But for that price and location I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple