“We came back for seconds!”

When In Rome Accommodation
Ranked #2,909 of 3,721 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We started our trip with this lovely hostel and came back again at the end!
Everything about this place was great! Located a few streets away from termini station- convenient for day trips, metro, buses or even if you're keen to walk- which we did!
Breakfast is served from a lovely Italian cafe- best coffee on the trip!
Rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels and air conditioning was an amazing comfort for the heat of summer! The rooms are themed which makes everything funner! Opt for Australia- if you can... Not just because we are Australian but because of the beautiful balcony!
It is located on the fifth floor but there is a nice tempermental elevator that will get you there!
AND finally, Emy the guy on the desk, is a whole lot of fun, super friendly and helpful with suggestions regarding sighta to see, food to eat and experiences to have in Rome!
So when in Rome, stay in When in Rome!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Carmelsimpson

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I visited Rome for the third time, first time i booked somewhere else and for the second and third time here. This B&B is located very central, close to Termini, it is a clean location, comfortable bed, you have all you need for your stay. It is optimal for visiting Rome,staff very friendly and helpfull with infos you need, breakfast tipic italian with great coffee /cappucino:) and croisant
I recomand this B&B

Room Tip: I stayed in Africa and Oceania-this have a terase too:)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shokata
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Great location for all of the sights. Walking distance to everything with nothing more than a pleasant 20 minute walk away. Very close to Piazza navona (in my opinion the best piazza). The room was absolutely fine. Hairdryer was ok, not the most powerful but did the job and they let you borrow and iron if needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was VERY basic but there are so many amazing delis nearby that even just a coffee delivered to the room in the morning was nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed a couple of nights at this hotel on the 5th floor. Found it difficult to find so get a printout from Google maps as it is in a side street in a residential area. Very close and handy for Termini though, about 2-3 mins walk from the side exit. When i arrived I buzzed up a few times and no one replied. Thought no one was going to appear but after a few mins they did.
I stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom both of which were clean. The room itself was very small, about 8 feet by 6 feet, just enough to get yourself and a bed in the room and a small plasma tv. The bed was not very comfortable. The rooms are wafer thin and you can hear any small noise. You can also hear everytime someone tries to check in and no one is at reception when they buzz for someone to appear, which is a frequent occurance as no one ever seems to be on reception. The wi-fi was good with no issues.
On arrival you are given a remote control to call the small lift along with 2 keys for the building door and hotel front door so you are free to come and go as you wish. You are also given breakfast vouchers for a local restuarant round the corner, a few hundred yards away which gets you a cappucino or fruit juice plus croissant, this was good. You are also given a map of Rome with all the tourist points marked out.
All in all a good location and ideal if you are on a tight budget and get a good rate for the room. Otherwise I would look for something a bit more comfortable and quieter.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank derek w
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed here a while back and have allowed time to temper my review of this hostel. This was my first trip to Rome and if I can give any first time Roman visitors a tip its not to get too paranoid about pickpockets and navigating your way around. Pay a sensible amount of attention to your belongings and get a map and you'll be fine.
Now back to the hostel, I arrived late at night, I booked a room on my own a few months before and confirmed my arrival. It was late at night and quite warm and the hostel had no sign posting so I had to search around for it for a while before ringing the buzzer. The man on the other end buzzed me in but told me that the elevator didnt work so I would have to come up the stairs. So that was 4 flights of stairs on my own with a heavy suitcase and no help. The rooms themselves were very basic, the internet never worked while I was there though, nor did the elevator again. I was not told that they could not accept cards at the hostel so spent a good few hours walking around trying to find an atm to take my english bank cards. I also had some of my toiletries go missing while I was there so overall I was not left with a great impression of this hostel. And I was in a room on my own with my own bathroom so they couldnt have been picked up by mistake. I went to venice after staying here for a few days and though its supposed to be one of the most expensive places, I found the accomodation I stayed in there to be of higher standard and less than what When in Rome cost me.

Tips for Rome: Get yourself a hop on hop off bus pass if you're only here a few days. Its a great way to familiarise yourself with where things are and they go most everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RussandJane
Reviewed 6 January 2012

It is a very small single floor 3-4 rooms hotel?. plus point - it is VERY clean. Make sure to come with location map. All buildings are looking same and no body in the area knows the hotel. There are no signboards even. Only a small sign-card along with calling bell. As the staff is not always at hotel, inform early when u r arriving. Be prepared to lock and unlock many doors! Locality is safe but there are some strange people on roads as it is very near Termini. But again Safe enough.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RAJKalyani7
Reviewed 27 July 2011

As others have reviewed, this is a small establishment in a building and not very well marked. It's advisable to print some directions (we had a Google map) and look for When in Rome on the buzzer by the door as its in a building that is also residential so doesn't readily stand out as a hotel. I should note that as a female traveller, on both stays I never felt unsafe walking at night to and from the hotel.

I had stayed at When in Rome with a friend at the end of April 2010, and when returning to Rome this May with my mother booked at this hotel again. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Termini station which contains the Metro, and really couldn't be more convenient for visiting Rome. On my first stay, we buzzed up and someone met us downstairs and escorted us up. On the second visit, nobody was at reception when we arrived. Just arriving off a flight from Canada which was delayed by a few hours, and having no phone, we were a bit upset. We were not told that there would be no one there, and although on the previous visit I had noticed that reception is not staffed 24/7, I thought they only left after all guests arrived that day. We lugged our suitcases down the street and found an internet cafe with phones, and managed to call the number listed by the buzzer for When in Rome. By the time we walked the half block back to the building, someone was there to greet us and let us in, asking why we arrived at that time (only around 4 pm.) to which we expained the late flight arrival. I think our exhausted expressions explained it all.

The elevator is extremely small, and it was a struggle to fit two of us and our suitcases (although small and carry on size) plus backpacks, but it was operational. We were given keys to come and go as we pleased, but note that you will have a key for the building, another gadget to call the elevator, a key to open the door to the floor, then another for your room. The key to the floor is large and bulky and you will have to keep these on you. At reception we were given a map, breakfast vouchers to use at a cafe around the corner (cappuccino and pastry - they did substitute juice for the cappuccino.) The cafe was always busy and breakfast was adequate. Reception was friendly and on both visits pointed out all the main attractions on the map for us. The credit card machine was not working on arrival, so we paid in cash. We were given the option to pay the next day though if we needed to visit a bank machine.

On both visits I found the hotel to be kept acceptably clean. On a few occasions the shared bathrooms were a bit wet after others had showers, but we brought shower sandals to avoid this in anticipation of having a shared bathroom. There is free wi-fi and logging on was never a problem. I never had a problem getting to sleep, but i'm a pretty sound sleeper. The walls are pretty thin, however, and if you have problems sleeping this may not be the place for you. It all depends on who you have for fellow guests. During the day reception can be loud, talking and playing music. We weren't around often during the day though, so only noticed this on the morning that we were packing to leave and it didn't bother us at all.

What I really liked about this hotel was that as we were preparing to leave and just reached the entryway to drop off our keys to reception the person at the desk asked where we were headed to next. We told him we had a train booked to the Cinque Terre, but it wasn't for several hours. Without us asking, he offered us to leave our bags in the hall, since someone would be there to watch them, and we could enjoy our last few hours in Rome. We felt that this was a nice offer, and let us see a few last things we wanted to check out that we didn't have time for during our stay.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. It was kept clean, reception is friendly. Would I stay here again? Most likely, although the price increased significantly (about 15 euros a night I believe) from my first to second stay. Since I was running out of time to book a hotel, liked the convenience to Termini, and knew what to expect I booked my second visit at this hotel without too much research into other places. If I were to return, I would do more research into similar hotels to find out if the value is comparable. If so, I wouldn't hesitate to book here again. For a simple, clean room with free wi-fi and breakfast, close to the trains and metro, I felt this was a good deal. I gave it three stars because it was a clean, safe, no frills place to rest your head at night.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family