“Friendly and Local Restaurant”

Grotte del Teatro di Pompeo
Ranked #1,053 of 12,864 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed in Trastevere area for 15 days. Easy walk to reach. We ate here about 10 times for lunch. I am sorry that I don't recall the owners name but he was so friendly and made you feel very welcome to his restaurant. The food was great. It didn't feel like tourist trap instead there were many local families and business folks during lunch. I would for sure come back to this restaurant when I am back in Rome.

1  Thank Trvller4Biz

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My family and I went to this restaurant our second night in Rome and were so impressed we had to save it and go back our last night. The location is ideal and authentic, the food is phenomenal - best I had my entire two weeks in Italy - and the service was out of this world! The owner is a woman who many times told us "I think for you" when we had trouble deciding and always brought back unique and mouth watering dishes! She truly wanted you to have the best, Italian experience you could and because of this mothering instinct we developed the nickname Mama for her because Mama knows best. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the area and I hope one day I have the opportunity to go back!

3  Thank Alexa_Metcalf
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We too had an unfortunate experience with what we assume is the female owner. Our hotel next door recommended them and we settled in outside hoping for a nice last meal in Rome (the front desk clerk told us to tell them we were from the hotel and we did...he seemed to think this was important... ). There were four of us (including an 11 year old). We ate outside because it was a mild night. Note that there really isn't a view. We were looking at a restaurant across the alley and a souvenir stand.

Our waiter was hapless but sweet. He took our order which included appetizers to share, pasta for 3 of us and fish for me as well as desserts which we ordered at the end. While waiting on our appetizer, we heard the owner chew him out quite loudly (no idea why since it was in rapid Italian). Through the course of our meal our waiter was pleasant, if not particularly speedy.

After our appetizer but before the pasta, the owner pulled my husband aside to tell him I couldn't have the sea bass because it was too large and they wanted him to pick something else for me. He wanted to ask me and this seemed to annoy her (eyes rolling, heavy sigh...) but to be fair to him, I'd debated between the sea bass and another dish and to just switch to a different fish without consulting me (especially after a long day of touring) would not have been wise! The appetizers, pasta and fish were all fine... I can see why people would like the place if they did not encounter the owner. I'd even say the fish was above average. And again, our waiter was pleasant...

The owner again yelled at our waiter -- seemingly in reference to another table. We attributed it to Italian temperaments and let it pass (had the owner chewed out a waiter back home we'd have made it a point to avoid the place).

After dessert and coffee we asked for the check. The owner came over and gave us a number -- no bill. We asked for it to be written down. That got us a dirty look but it did get us a bill (not sure if it was correct because it was a string of numbers without referencing any items.... and the amount was different from what she told us initially). The written bill was for 146 euros -- $199.30 US at time (kids and husband had pasta only, I had fish, we split 2 appetizers and 2 desserts -- no wine, 1 cup of coffee). For what we had it seemed a bit pricey but we are generally ok with paying more for a meal provided it is good.

My husband took out a visa card and the owner then said -- "No... only cash." This despite signs posted that they take visa. My husband pointed out the signs (which we had looked for before ordering because we had limited cash which we needed for our taxi to the train in the morning). She flung his card on the table and walked away. Roughly 10 minutes later she came back and asked us again for the cash. I literally had to show her that I only had 75 euros in my wallet (not kidding -- she didn't believe me until I pulled the money out and showed her the empty wallet and the 50, 20 and 5 euro notes!). She wanted to know where my husband's cash was and he replied, "Spent!" She again walked away without taking the card. A few minutes later, the clearly embarrassed waiter came and got our card. After all that she actually asked, "And what is for me?"

We might have given our waiter a tip but to have the owner demand one left a bad taste. This was not just indifferent service, it was rude. (She didn't wait on us other than to tell us we couldn't have the sea bass and to total our check.) I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend this place. I'd be afraid anyone I sent here would be cheated.

(BTW, read my other reviews... I think you will see I try to be fair -- neither overly critical nor overly generous with my praise... in general my reviews are positive because we use trip advisor to screen out the bad. Our first 3 choices for the evening were booked and my phone had died so I couldn't check trip advisor before going.)

2  Thank MomfromMaryville
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our hotel in Rome was right next to this restaurant. After an exhausting day of walking around the city, we decided to stay close to "home" and try Teatro for dinner -- wow were we surprised! Not only was it extremely reasonably priced (especially compared to other restaurants near tourist areas), but the food was incredible, and the house wine was fantastic! We ended up eating here two more times before we left Rome. If you are in the area, don't miss this restaurant! We will be back on our next visit to Rome!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I discovered this wonderful restaurant on our last visit to Rome in 2012 and headed back on our visit this year. We had our fingers crossed that it had not changed - and we were not disappointed. We have eaten there twice this time and plan to return for another two lunches before we leave Rome. The food is delicious and extremely well priced - and their bottles of very good house wine are a steal at 7 eur. We strongly recommend - and would return at any opportunity.