“Great heart of Rome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Emily House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2,403 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
“Great heart of Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We have just finished our time in Rome, this hotel os a great homy feeling of real life in Italy, Emily is a nice sweet italian lady, very helpful and Kind, location is great with lots of food shops and all what you need, 2 min from the bus and tram station, breakfast was OK for what you pay and it is a self service, overall would go back there.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Hungarian first
Molln, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We went to Italy last week and I booked the hotel by e-mail a few days before. The Lady told me that we should mail her one hour before arrival. There were so many traffic jams on the way to Rome, that we were really late but Signora Emily was waiting for us for almost one hour.
Since we arrived at about 09:30pm all the parking spots were gone.
I just grabbed our bags and brought them up to our room and Mrs. Emily told me where to find the closest parking deck.
The communication was okay since my Italian is really poor but Mrs. Emily was speaking understandable english.
During I parked the car 5 minutes from the Rooms, she gave a map to my girlfriend and explained which places are worth visiting and how to get there.
She told her to take the 810 Bus which is stopping at Prenestina- Gattamelata just 3 Minutes walk from the rooms to get to the Collosseum and the city center and the 5/14 Tram to get to the main Trainstation where we find the two roman subway lines to get anywhere in Rome.
The Room was very nice with a comfortable double bed and a Bathroom with a Shower, Washbasin, included toilet and bidet. Everything was really clean and nice and we immediatly felt very homely.
The next day we had our breakfast in the room and even all the rooms where occupied, we did not recognize any of the other guests.
I picked up my car at the parking deck and had lots of free parking sites around the House. I took the closest and we went for our sightseeing tour.
The Tour was great and when we came back in the evening we found a nice pizzaria around the corner (called Pizzavolante in Via Filippo Scolari) which offer takeaway pizza for -20% because they normally deliever.
We had two delicious pizzas and two tiramisu for €14,40-(!!!). A really great price for a real italian pizza! The guys from the pizzaria and all people we met around the hotel where really nice. We found out thet there were many people from Bhangladesh living in this Block and we had some nice chats with some of them.
We don´t plan o come back to Rome in the next time, but if we do someday we will shure stay at Signora Emily´s Bed and Breakfast again :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilFest222
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Thumbs down for this so called hotel for sure. This really isn't a hotel, it's more of a house where they rent out their home to tourist. The detail that was put on Hotel.com was completely off. They said it was close to the terminal, but they didn't mean the hotel. What they meant to say was the tram is close to the terminal to take you to emily house. I was completely lost and no one seem to know what we were looking for when I wrote down all details. Location was not close to the tourist spots at all. When I finally arrive to at emily house, no one was there. I had email them my flight information and they were well aware of it. I was lucky enough to get a nice lady to call for me, but no one answered. When I actually got access to the front door I went to knock on the door and still no one was there. I end up going back to the terminal and found a hotel there. What got me more upset was the lack of honesty from emily house. They actually emailed me and told me they were there waiting for me and no refund will be provide since we didn't show. SERIOUSLY? I lost almost my entire day and they had the nerve to tell me they were waiting for me the whole day. LIES!!!!

Room Tip: Actual Travel date was November 2011.
Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Porta Maggiore is a fairly good hotel not so far from the center of Rome. Our group on a guided tour of Italy spent two nights there. We were all satisfied with friendly service, spacious rooms and bathrooms, and with good breakfasts. The level of noise coming from the street was the greatest drawback.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marjal38
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

First of all, the room conditions were very good for the general standards of Rome. Clean sheets, clean bathrooms, changed towels, daily cleaning, for not too much money, not very cheap though, but for Rome prices ... We had a problem with warm water and it was fixed the same day, after we announced. The owners were very nice and friendly, gave us very good directions for getting around.
You need to use public transportation to get to and from main tourist area, because you are not within walking distance. Pay attention that public transport in Rome stops after midnight (last bus starts the route at midnight) so after that you need to take a cab. The area may be a bit problematic at night if you walk around, as there are quite a few groups of individuals of different ethnics and colors which may appear a bit scary as they scan you head to toe when you walk by after midnight :) no incidents for us though, and we never arrived before midnight.
The breakfast consists of bread, butter, jam, milk, cereals, orange juice, and lavazza cappucino which was delicious!. If you expect english breakfast you will be very dissapointed, especially in regards to quantity and consistency. For us it was enough though!
I also must mention the quality of the bed which for us was a major advantage afte walking around Rome all day. And again, about the bathroom, it was very, very clean, the main reason i add one more point to my rating, as it is very hard to find a nice toiled in Rome, even at the nice restaurants.
Please keep in mind that my review is for a budget B&B hotel, do not expect fancy hotels standards.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Damian N
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

Great place for a budget trip to Rome. Clean rooms, friendly reception, and the daughter speaks English. 2 minutes away from a supermarket and 2 very good local restaurants, without inflated tourist prices. Yes you have to get a tram into the centre of Rome, but, when in Rome do what the Romans do.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Adam C
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Porta Maggiore has a nice breakfast spread, and the room was clean, but if you are in Rome to visit the Colosseum, Vatican City, etc., I would recommend getting a hotel closer to these sites because hopping buses all day long to get to these sites.....gets old....really quick. You are NOT in walking distance of the Vatican, we were on the bus 20-30 minutes to get there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family