“Great value for money!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dama Hotel

Dama Hotel
Dama Hotel
Ranked #969 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Turku, Finland
“Great value for money!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

Excellent room, nice staff, nice to get breakfast in a nearby cafe, recently renowated rooms, free internet( problems thought, but a computer to use in the"lobby") Spacious, kids loved the nice guys in reception!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Business
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

My main issue with this hotel was the service. We planned to stay here at the beginning and end of our trip in Italy. It took about 5 emails to get a response confirming our reservation. I tried calling 3 times also, but the person couldn't speak English and I was told to call back. They honored our reservation for the first part of the trip, but emailed us a few days before we were to return to stay that the hotel was full. I suspect they bumped us because they found someone else that wanted to stay longer and use the room we reserved for one night, for our last night in Italy.

As far as the room -- it was tiny. My feet hung off the bed and almost touched the opposite wall. (I'm 5'10'', see photo). The room was clean, but smelled of a strong odor. I wasn't sure if it was bug powder or a strong cleaning agent, but I think they were covering up a septic tank problem or other stench, because you could occasionally smell something bad underneath the strong cleaning solution that got on your clothes after waking up.

As for the good: The room included a private bathroom and shower. (We thought we'd have a shared bath). The shower was tiny, so If you're overweight you probably can't use it. The hotel has a computer you can use, if no one else is using it. The included breakfast across the street is very good. You can order whatever pastries and as much coffee as you want. The guy at the reception was nice enough to take us over there and show us around.

Like the other reviewer warns, we thought we were booking Hotel Domus Praetoria when we booked through Lonely Planet's website, only to be switched to Hotel Dama when getting the confirmation/receipt. We decided to stay since it's the same address and it looked good on the website.

I would have given this place 3 stars if they hadn't bumped us and ignored our reservation.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jingleballs

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

The owner of the Hotel Dama was very friendly and very helpful. He held our bags and in the morning he walked with us to the bar to help us with breakfast...pastry and coffee. BUT...he did not give us a room at the Hotel Dama. He walked us to the Penelope, and that is where our room was. The room there was very bare...cement floors and beds on wheels...it was not what we expected. And the reception was directly outside and was loud...you could hear the conversations. We were only there one night, so it worked out ok. And the location was great for us as we needed to take the bus to the airport the next day.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

When you reserve online through lonelyplanet/hostelworld webpage to stay on Hotel Domus Preatoria, you only discover you have booked on Hotel Dama when you print your receipt. We assumed both hotels to be the same because they have the same address, they omit their floors- one is in the ground floor and the other in the 1st floor (or second floor, I can´t recall).
Dama Hotel doesn`t even have a proper reception place.
We refused to stay in the place we did not book and we were charged the same way, for we did not give the 24 hours advance cancelling - how could we?! We only discovered the mistake when arriving there.
Online customers need to be better protected!
They cannot mislead from one hotel to the other. Both Hotels don`t seem to take any action to stop this confusion, for they are profitting with it.
CAUTION, be sure of your booking, be sure the HOTELS appear with the same name when printing your reservation!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank customerdefensor
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

When booking through lonelyplanet / Hotelworld webpage, you book on Hotel Domus Preatoria and when you print your booking it appears Hotel Dama (on the same address)! One is on the ground floor and the other is in the 5th floor. (but you only discover this when you arrive!) Both Hotels say they have nothing to do with this confusion, but they don`t do a thing to solve it. We refused to stay at Hotel Dama, which doesn't even have a proper reception place, and we were charged the night in our credit card, for not advising with 24 hours in advance. They mislead you, they book you where you didn't choose and they still charge you! Eyes open: I would definetly not stay in both hotels! If we do not denounce this attitudes, there is no way of stopping them, online customers need to be better protected!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank customerdefensor
DomusPraetoria, Manager at Dama Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
Dear Sir,

I am sorry You had this inconvenience while making a booking. Hotel Dama is contacting Lonely Planet (we do not work with L.Planet) to solve the problem.
You had a reservation at Hotel Dama, You wrote You refused to stay there and they did charge because they did have a booking for You.

I believe You should not write a review about our hotel as You never experienced Domus Praetoria.

We hope to welcome You in the future and hopefully Tripadvisor will not consider this review as it is not concerning Hotel Domus Praetoria.

cordiali saluti,

Massimo Menichelli
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

I was looking for a place to stay for one night after a long cruise and before we had a flight the next day. The location is awesome, just a few blocks from the Termini Station. There is no "reception" and we almost walked past the hotel, keep an eye on the numbers! Once you ring the bell the booking manager comes to you and takes to you to your room. He was very kind and helpful and arranged for our taxi the next AM to the airport. We than had to walk around the block to our rooms. We had help from Damus, another employee. Especially since we were on the 3 floor and no lift. He also left us his cell phone number and told us to call if we needed anything. We got a coupon to get breakfast the next AM and off we went.
The triple room was tight but clean! The bathroom is clean and new as well. For one night it was just perfect. Small and clean and basic. There was a small TV in the room, no phone but we had a nice size window and an air ventilator. I wanted a place that was clean and safe for one night at a good price and that is what we got. Breakfast was a pastry and cappie at the local shop.

• Liked — The location and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — No lift and no internet access.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

Hotel Dama is very small, they don't have proper reception room, lift does not work, and they are on 2nd floor - lots of stairs !!!!
Only 5-6 rooms. About 5 min walk from Termini
station. A bit dirty area.
I stayed in single room. Room was clean, not too much noise.
The owner came across very nice at the beginning, but he did not realize that I speak Italian and said something very , very rude, thinking that I don't understand !!!!!!
When time came to check out, I went to reception and was about to pay, but the guy at reception did not know how to take a payment, so he had to call the owner of the hotel.... I ve waited for about 20 minutes, therefore missed my breakfast. When the owner arrived he could not take a payment of me too, due to PDQ machine was not working, so I could not pay with my card. I had to go and find cash machine, but cash machines were not working too!!!! In about 30 min I found one, that was working!!!! I missed my bus, missed my breakfast and its all due to incompetence of the hotel owner!!!!! Do not book!!!!

• Liked — Internet, quite, comfortable
  • Disliked — Reception, stuff very rude, Make sure you have cash with you...
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Kath81London