“Quaint family Italian restaurant”
Review of Osteria da Mario

Osteria da Mario
Ranked #1,337 of 12,585 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We did not eat in the outside portion of the restaurant so I cannot attest to anything there.

We had great service. The chef came out to greet us and answer questions about the menu. Their family even came in to dine at the same time. (Which is always a good sign)

We had the house wine which was nice. We also started with the bruschetta. It was very tasty. I had the fettuccine with the zucchini flower sauce. Oh my, I could have had several dishes of that. I cannot answer for how much you can eat, but I actually split that dish with someone. Between the appetizer and that - I was satisfied. Friends also had the Griccia and it was tasty.

We truly had a great experience and I would recommend this off the main piazza restaurant. It is quieter than the craziness by the Pantheon. Make sure you map it off so you can find it.

2  Thank Bolingers
There are newer reviews for Osteria da Mario

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is one of the better restaurants I have had the pleasure to enjoy in Rome. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

After my first visit 3 years ago, I questioned my memory after reading several not so good reviews. Our recent visit was again excellent! My amatriciana was my best pasta during a week in Rome and coniglio was tender and long simmered. My partner had a really delicious arrabiata and a starter of fritto misto was also well done and not greasy. Service is friendly but perfunctory and you may have to be a little assertive. House wine cheap but a bit like retsina! I like to eat inside, the Italians seem to gather there rather than the patio (unlike everywhere else where they insist on dining al fresco!)

1  Thank 32655George
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We chose this place based on a Rick Steves recommendation. It took some searching and asking around to find it (this was our very first time in Rome, after all). We started with their bruschetta which made all the searching worthwhile in and of itself. We both had pasta dishes -- my wife had a spaghetti and I had a seafood pasta. The pasta was absolutely perfectly prepared and the seafood was great. The service was very good and the prices were quite reasonable.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

If you want something tucked back in a piazza near the Pantheon this is your place. You can't go wrong here...although the peddlers selling chinese junk are around and you have to tell them to go away. You get the feeling that you are eating home-style italian food here.

Been to Osteria da Mario? Share your experiences!