“noisy and strange treatment of guests”

Calisto 6 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1,424 of 3,692 Rome B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“noisy and strange treatment of guests”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Calisto's location is excellent, nonetheless the place is very noisy until 3am on the weekends as the bar under the BB is a favourite local venue. We were furthermore disappointed by the approach of Andrea, the Calisto's manager, who initially wanted to charge us additional20EUR fee for coming 20min after 10pm from the airport (Calisto does not have a reception), even though she stayed in the hotel the whole night. She agreed in the end to cancel the fee, which we did not notice in advance, as it was written in small font at the bottom of our reservation, nonetheless our impression was that Andrea was a sort of offended (we hope we were wrong in this respect). Shared bathrooms also proved to be a problem - ours was blocked in the morning and since we did not want to waste time in the hotel instead of sight seeing, my wife used the neighboring bathroom just to wash her teeth - which meant in the end that Andrea almost dragged her out of the bathroom (needless to say, the bathroom was empty the whole time)...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alesund, Norway
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 5 nights here in the heart of trastevere. The b&b has two locations and I had a room in a very quiet and nice little street, vicolo de piede. Private, adjoined bathroom was very nice and cleaned every day. There's a kitchen you can use, which is good if you don't want to spend to much time looking for breakfast. But stay away from the dishwasher, hasn't been cleaned since the roman empire. The staff wad really nice and I booked a pickup service from the airport, which was really convenient. I would definitely go back.

1 Thank Stinajen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The B+B and rooms themselves were exactly as shown on the website, tastefully decorated and very clean. We shared a bathroom which was small but completely functional and very clean, we only saw the other person using it once so no sharing problems. The location of the B+B is excellent, Trastavere is a beautiful district with loads of great bars and restaurants.

Although this B+B doesn't have a person at an on site reception the owner was constantly available by phone and email. The only downside to this lovely place is the bar below which is noisy as there are tables outside. We were there in March and did not need to have the windows open which blocks 95% of the noise. We did hear people coming in and out of the front door as our room was opposite it, but this was a lovely place to stay and great value for money if these things are not so important to you, they didn't bother us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Florence P
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The location is perfect if you 're not in your 50s and looking for rest, since the GREAT cafe-bar downstairs (REALLY GREAT) stays open late ;) The girl who welcomed us was very nice, even though she kept us waiting a bit and the communication wasn't so easy. The accomodation was cute, yet the private bathroom is not in the room, so pack something like a robe- it can be useful :)
A bit overpriced, but Rome compensates on that!
Like any central location, Trastevere can be a little crowded but to me, it's the place to be in Rome :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicolinAir
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 4 August 2012

It's true that I needed a last minute solution and that I really would do anything to be in Trastevere during my last stay in Rome nevertheless, I was disappointed. I've checked many reviews their majority was completely positive. I would say, though, this kind of hotel cannot be left without someone to manage problems that often arise in an old apartment as it is, namely when most of the rooms share bathrooms. In my first night the bathroom that I should use (I had no key for it, the staff just told me that I should use that one) was ok, during the day next I cannot say the same: it was stinky and I had no one to ask to have it cleaned. The worst was about to come though: the bathroom had a leak during the night and the corridor was full of water when I woke up really early in the morning! Terrible situation to face without any staff there. The hotel is, on the other hand, very well located for those who want to hang out in Trastevere but really not for ones that plan to sleep before 2 am (I was there from Monday to Wednesday). The only person from the staff I've met personally was really kind and the BB owner was also really helpful (by mail, of course). For a similar price I had a double room with real breakfast (in this case here we are only allowed to grab capucino + corneto in the bar downstairs) close to via Nazionale. So, if you don't mind not staying in Trastevere...

Room Tip: I had the room in front of the square and it was not quiet at all. Besides, the bathroom was really...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 22 July 2012

... just upstairs from one of the best bars I've ever been in. Also, it's in my favourite part of Rome, Trastevere, with loads of great restaurants. You get your breakfast in the aforementioned bar as well (a traditional café and cornetto) alongside the the loquacious locals. Fortunately the thick windows stop any noise from the bar drifting upstairs. Nice large bedrooms. Pretty building as well. Only minus was the small toilet with a ceiling in the shower that was little over 1 metre 85 cms high (6 feet for those in the English speaking world). Overall, well recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Like others have mentioned we booked Calisto 6 but on arrival we were met and taken across the square down a cobbled street to our own little house! Our room was beautiful with exposed beams and a wooden floor but very modern decor. The bathroom was dated but spotlessly clean. Couldn't have been happier with the location plenty of bars and restaurants for nightime but still walking distance to all the major sights. Had a great time in rome and will definately be recommending they book this apartment from the owners of Calisto 6.

Room Tip: Ask to be put in the apartment instead of the main B&B
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple