“Rome is great, but Calisto 6 didn't deliver as advertised”

Calisto 6 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1,869 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Brooklyn,
“Rome is great, but Calisto 6 didn't deliver as advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently spent 5 nights at Calisto 6. When looking for a hotel, I knew that I wanted to stay in Trastevere. I was attracted to this "B&B" because of the charmingly decorated, airy rooms pictured on the website. As a woman traveling alone, I also liked that it was located on a central square, where I would feel comfortable coming and going, even after dark. I had read other people's issues about the noise from the bar, but was not worried about that - I live in NYC so am used to noise, and was looking forward to getting to be a 'regular' while on vacation.
However, when I arrived in Rome I was placed in a separate apartment location that is on a small (dark at night) street off a different piazza than the main location. I was told that this was because it would be quieter.
It is possible that I would have been annoyed by the noise of the bar under Calisto 6, but I'll never know. I know that I was annoyed by being placed in a different - and less charming - location under the presumption that I would be happier. The room that I had was smaller, darker (with one small, viewless window), and appointed with much less style than those pictured on the website. Also, instead of being able to walk across a hallway to my private bathroom, I had to walk up/down a narrow flight of stairs. Plus, I learned that the only other person staying in the apartment was a man - something that made me nervous about safety considering that the building was unstaffed. When I expressed my unease at not having a bathrobe to use to get back to my room post-shower (as promised in the online description at TripAdvisor), the manager told me just to use a towel.
I was also told that breakfast in this location was a self-service meal, where one can make toast (from sliced white bread) and coffee, along with yogurt. I told the manager that I had been looking forward to having my breakfast at the bar as described on the website, so she provided me with the vouchers to do so. However, since the bar is closed on Sundays breakfast is not provided on that day.
Overall my stay in Rome was fine, but I found it extremely disingenuous that the managers find it acceptable to place guests in rooms that are not pictured on the website. When one arrives in a foreign city - having already given their credit card information when making the reservation - they are totally at the mercy of the the hotel managers to make good on what they promised in the reservation agreement. In this situation I felt that the room and experience that I received was disappointingly less than what was promised - yet I still had to pay the same price.......

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Brooklyn_Beaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

From reading other reviews we got lucky as we stayed in the other apartment building around the corner and not near the bar beneath so we had no trouble with noise. On arrival my boyfriend and I were slightly concerned our booking was messed up - we had a whole apartment to ourselves instead of a room! We couldn't believe our luck when we realised that was part of what was included! The second building is basically like a two bed house, and two girls filled the second bedroom on our second and third nights. Space was great, with a whole living room between 4 and breakfast provided in the morning which included tea, coffee, bread, yogurt and cereal. A great location too near all the bars and restaurants and as we were in the 2nd apartment - not even noisy! I would recommend families particularly book this one as opposed to the apartment near the bar.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vclareb
Giv'atayim, Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

the location ia grate the owner nice and polite but basicly if you book a spot as described in the site and than when arriving at late evening beeing taken to another place cozy but unfit for an elderly couple that have to manage steep and winding wooden stairs in and out with no alternative at this time is beeing unfair to say the least other advantages or disadvantages of the place become irrelevant

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Even the host Andrea is friendly, i don't recommand you at all this BNB because it's impossible to have a quiet night and sleep well. there is the "piazza san calisto "just downstairs with a bar with many people drinking outside,just downstairs the BNB,talking loudly.
I 'll never go back to this BNB.

Room Tip: Don't go to this BNB. too much noisy during the night .
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zorro D
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Calisto's location is excellent, nonetheless the place is very noisy until 3am on the weekends as the bar under the BB is a favourite local venue. We were furthermore disappointed by the approach of Andrea, the Calisto's manager, who initially wanted to charge us additional20EUR fee for coming 20min after 10pm from the airport (Calisto does not have a reception), even though she stayed in the hotel the whole night. She agreed in the end to cancel the fee, which we did not notice in advance, as it was written in small font at the bottom of our reservation, nonetheless our impression was that Andrea was a sort of offended (we hope we were wrong in this respect). Shared bathrooms also proved to be a problem - ours was blocked in the morning and since we did not want to waste time in the hotel instead of sight seeing, my wife used the neighboring bathroom just to wash her teeth - which meant in the end that Andrea almost dragged her out of the bathroom (needless to say, the bathroom was empty the whole time)...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Alesund, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 5 nights here in the heart of trastevere. The b&b has two locations and I had a room in a very quiet and nice little street, vicolo de piede. Private, adjoined bathroom was very nice and cleaned every day. There's a kitchen you can use, which is good if you don't want to spend to much time looking for breakfast. But stay away from the dishwasher, hasn't been cleaned since the roman empire. The staff wad really nice and I booked a pickup service from the airport, which was really convenient. I would definitely go back.

1 Thank Stinajen
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

The B+B and rooms themselves were exactly as shown on the website, tastefully decorated and very clean. We shared a bathroom which was small but completely functional and very clean, we only saw the other person using it once so no sharing problems. The location of the B+B is excellent, Trastavere is a beautiful district with loads of great bars and restaurants.

Although this B+B doesn't have a person at an on site reception the owner was constantly available by phone and email. The only downside to this lovely place is the bar below which is noisy as there are tables outside. We were there in March and did not need to have the windows open which blocks 95% of the noise. We did hear people coming in and out of the front door as our room was opposite it, but this was a lovely place to stay and great value for money if these things are not so important to you, they didn't bother us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple