“Live like a local on your holiday in Rome”

Calisto 6 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1,317 of 3,741 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I hadn't read these reviews before our visit (we booked through laterooms.com) and I have to admit some people have valid concerns (safety if by themselves with only one other guest, noise at night, shared bathrooms, narrow stairs). BUT we LOVED our stay. We were in the guest house around the corner off the square, and I felt like I'd just stepped into being a local with my own apartment...a very comfortable guest house!

Our host met us at the square with no troubles and showed us in, even taking the time to give us a map, draw some directions (including best route to the airport and how much time it should take on public transport), show us around the kitchen, etc. We didn't have any trouble with noise or the bathrooms and barely saw the other couple also staying in the house with us.

It was my first visit to Rome and I didn't know that some streets are walking-only, and we felt so lucky to be in Trastevere, able to just walk around to all the shops and restaurants and street vendors. (Although we did avoid the truly 'local' restaurants our host recommended...apparently local fare involves eating animal organs?!) I personally liked being able to make my own breakfast and choose with toast and yogurt and such. We kept some groceries in the fridge as well, which definitely helped out our food budget.

On an unrelated note, stay away from eating pine nuts at the al fresco restaurants. I ate some and apparently they were a species from China that gave me a horrible reaction a couple days later - my mouth tasted very bitter and metallic and I could barely keep food down for a week! I didn't know it was even a thing, but if you google "pine nut bitter mouth taste" you can learn way too much about it. :-x :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Callie B

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently spent 5 nights at Calisto 6. When looking for a hotel, I knew that I wanted to stay in Trastevere. I was attracted to this "B&B" because of the charmingly decorated, airy rooms pictured on the website. As a woman traveling alone, I also liked that it was located on a central square, where I would feel comfortable coming and going, even after dark. I had read other people's issues about the noise from the bar, but was not worried about that - I live in NYC so am used to noise, and was looking forward to getting to be a 'regular' while on vacation.
However, when I arrived in Rome I was placed in a separate apartment location that is on a small (dark at night) street off a different piazza than the main location. I was told that this was because it would be quieter.
It is possible that I would have been annoyed by the noise of the bar under Calisto 6, but I'll never know. I know that I was annoyed by being placed in a different - and less charming - location under the presumption that I would be happier. The room that I had was smaller, darker (with one small, viewless window), and appointed with much less style than those pictured on the website. Also, instead of being able to walk across a hallway to my private bathroom, I had to walk up/down a narrow flight of stairs. Plus, I learned that the only other person staying in the apartment was a man - something that made me nervous about safety considering that the building was unstaffed. When I expressed my unease at not having a bathrobe to use to get back to my room post-shower (as promised in the online description at TripAdvisor), the manager told me just to use a towel.
I was also told that breakfast in this location was a self-service meal, where one can make toast (from sliced white bread) and coffee, along with yogurt. I told the manager that I had been looking forward to having my breakfast at the bar as described on the website, so she provided me with the vouchers to do so. However, since the bar is closed on Sundays breakfast is not provided on that day.
Overall my stay in Rome was fine, but I found it extremely disingenuous that the managers find it acceptable to place guests in rooms that are not pictured on the website. When one arrives in a foreign city - having already given their credit card information when making the reservation - they are totally at the mercy of the the hotel managers to make good on what they promised in the reservation agreement. In this situation I felt that the room and experience that I received was disappointingly less than what was promised - yet I still had to pay the same price.......

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Brooklyn_Beaster
Reviewed 8 October 2013

From reading other reviews we got lucky as we stayed in the other apartment building around the corner and not near the bar beneath so we had no trouble with noise. On arrival my boyfriend and I were slightly concerned our booking was messed up - we had a whole apartment to ourselves instead of a room! We couldn't believe our luck when we realised that was part of what was included! The second building is basically like a two bed house, and two girls filled the second bedroom on our second and third nights. Space was great, with a whole living room between 4 and breakfast provided in the morning which included tea, coffee, bread, yogurt and cereal. A great location too near all the bars and restaurants and as we were in the 2nd apartment - not even noisy! I would recommend families particularly book this one as opposed to the apartment near the bar.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vclareb
Reviewed 29 September 2013

the location ia grate the owner nice and polite but basicly if you book a spot as described in the site and than when arriving at late evening beeing taken to another place cozy but unfit for an elderly couple that have to manage steep and winding wooden stairs in and out with no alternative at this time is beeing unfair to say the least other advantages or disadvantages of the place become irrelevant

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Even the host Andrea is friendly, i don't recommand you at all this BNB because it's impossible to have a quiet night and sleep well. there is the "piazza san calisto "just downstairs with a bar with many people drinking outside,just downstairs the BNB,talking loudly.
I 'll never go back to this BNB.

Room Tip: Don't go to this BNB. too much noisy during the night .