“Good ” 3 of 5 bubbles

Flann O'Brien Rooms
Ranked #680 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
“Good ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Was difficult to find out... however google maps saved the day. decent rooms... Elevator was antique. Friendly staff. Recommend any family for a budget stay. Complementary breakfast... Not so great. All together enjoyed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
thessaloniki
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice hotel,located in the center of the city!great value for money!i would definately go there again!! We had a great time!clean,simple rooms but very good location! It was just like we expected it to be

• Stayed June 2014
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked two twin rooms at Flann O'Briens as I was meeting my 3 sisters for a short break from March 19 to March 24, 2014. I travelled from Saudi Arabia and my sisters travelled from Ireland. I arrived alone to Flann O'Briens. There was no-one at reception when I arrived. Eventually, 20 minutes later Anna arrived. I found her to be rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. Eventually I got shown to my room by a lovely young hotel worker from Bangladesh. He was very friendly and very helpful. My room was small, basic but it seemed fine. I rested for a little while and then went out for a short walk. I returned to sleep for the night. I woke up and my entire neck, arms and body was completely flea and bug bitten. I was quite horrified. I complained to Anna, the Manager. She took no responsibility nor issued no apology. However, there was no way I was going to sleep in that room again so I got moved to another room in another building. Subsequently, my sisters arrived from Ireland and we enjoyed a wonderful 4 days in Rome, it’s a beautiful city. On our last evening, my sisters and I went to reception to check-out and finalize our bill. Again, there was no-one at reception! Eventually, one of the hotel staff dealt with us and he informed us that Anna had already debited my credit card for both rooms without my consent or authorization. I was very perturbed by this as I found it to be unprofessional and quite bold to say the least. I will return to beautiful Rome one day but I will not return to this hotel. Although it has an Irish name, unfortunately, it does not reflect the Irish hospitality and friendliness. The Hotel is Irish by name, only! I will never return to this Hotel nor will I recommend same to friends or family that visit in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bredabc
ManagementFlann, Front Office Manager at Flann O'Brien Rooms, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
First of all, Flann O' Brien rooms is not a Hotel, we are classified as "INN" wherein we don't have a 24 hour reception, (that's why guests' time of arrival is necessary for us to organize) so sorry for not being there exactly at the moment when you arrived....

Secondly, the room where you were assigned on the first night was occupied by other guests before and after your arrival, and didn't receive any kind of complaint about bugs nor fleas nor any other insects. First thing you were asked when you came the morning after was "how are you? what happened? are you allergic to something like the texture of our bedsheets (which is cotton) or to acarus/mites, or to some food?" we told you sorry for what happened (we don't know what kind of apology it was necessary to do at that moment-if you needed a written one you could have told us) and also you were directed to the nearest pharmacy since we didn't even know what was it and what specific cream or medicines you were supposed to take suggesting anyway to take an antihistamine.... The question remains anyway, how sure we are that what happened to you was caused by our room?

Thirdly, your 2 separate reservations for the 2 rooms guaranteed with only 1 and the same card, were both NON REFUNDABLE, and as policy, we were supposed to charge the 100 percent reservation amount at the moment you reserved (Last January 21, 2014), but we only check the card's validity since we Always prefer to do the payment directly infront of the guest, and on the second day, you were also adviced to do the payment of your bill on the day after since Saturday and Sunday (your check out monday very early in the morning) there would be nobody here who can issue you a receipt, and you agreed with this... You came here,twice after that, you talked to a colleague, you talked to Anna by phone who also gave you a discount or rather, Anna agreed not to let you pay for the first night... But you didn't come to pay the bill on the day arranged, even on the day after.... seemingly uninterested.... can you tell us what would you do if you were in our position? I would suggest you to please take a look and read the reservation policy.

We are really glad you have had a wonderful vacation anyway inspite of everything, contrary to what you have been implying to us vocally and continually as ruining your holidays.

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This was my first trip to Italy and I traveled alone. I am 100% sure I wouldn't have had such a fabulous and easy time if it wasn't for Anna at Flann O'Brien's. Firstly, she provides outstanding customer service. Before the trip, I sent numerous emails asking questions as this was my first trip to Italy & she answered every email completely. Then, once I arrived, she took the time to make sure I could get around the city easily to all of the attractions I wanted to. Finally, when I checked out on the last day, she stored my luggage for me safely so that I could see a few more attractions, and when I was ready to head to the airport hotel for my last night, she called the hotel personally and wrote down the directions for me. Now, on to the property itself: It is a short walk from the Republica stop on the metro...literally two blocks or so. The area itself is very safe and it is a 15 minute walk or so down to the area of ancient Rome. It literally could not be more central. There are lots of shops, cafes and restaurants too--all at your fingertips--and the area is very clean and well kept. My room was in a beautiful building around the corner from the Irish Pub. It is a short walk to the building, and there is a large grand entrance--you feel like royalty as the doors open. There is an elevator to take you to the second floor. My room was #105: it was very quiet and newly refurbished. The room itself was very clean and had a small refrigerator. Each night, I had a very peaceful and restful sleep--there was hardly any noise. The window of my room also looked down into a courtyard--it was beautiful. In the room, there is also a nice closet space for storing your luggage out of the way, and there is a safe for your valuables. In the mornings, you are provided with a simple breakfast of orange juice, a croissant (which by the way taste amazing) and some toast and jam. You also receive a discount on your purchases at the Irish pub! The only drawback is that there are no tea/hot beverage making facilities in the room. Coming from Ireland, I drink a lot of tea--and I even brought my own tea from home. At breakfast I was able to ask for hot water and milk, which was provided--but I like a lot of tea during my day & evenings, so having it there in the room would have been a better fit for me. Otherwise, I had a spectacular stay and wouldn't hesitate to come back. Flann O'Brien's...I hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank greyhoundymom
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was in room 104 in the building on Via Firenze. Quiet with a double bed just for me. Bathrooms are nice and modern. WiFi worked perfectly albeit with a hellaciously long password!! :)
Fair value, comfortable for my 5 nights and nicely located. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kosice, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I booked the hotel for my daugher and her friend (2 young ladies, 22 years old) for 2 nights. They arrived late in the evening. In the morning two policemen entered the room and they started to investigate them. In spite that they are both from Slovakia they asked them whether they are Ukrainan or Russian. The young ladies speak English, Spanish and French but policemen where not able to understand them.They were scared. After 20 minutes they left the room. It is obvious that hotel Staff informed police about their stay without any reason for doing this. I do not recomend to stay in the hotel where hotel Staff enable victimise and threaten their guests.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank Natasa U
St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

We had a room in separate building and our room was really small!! There were a wifi but I can't connect it during a week. The worse thing is that they turn off the heating during the night in January !!! I asked at reception not to do that as it was so cold every night but they said that its common in Italy turn off the heating!!! What a mess !! The breakfast was poor despite a food in Irish pub was really tasty !

• Stayed January 2013