“Apathetic staff-cockroach in bottom of papadam basket :(”
Review of Rajdhani Ristorante Indiano - CLOSED

Rajdhani Ristorante Indiano
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were shocked to find a live cockroach at the bottom of our papadam basket at Rajdhani restaurant. We were even more surprised by the lack of concern or even simple apology by the completely apathetic staff. This was our 2nd time eating there and we decided to try it again since we the indian food decent for being in italy. Regardless of the food quality though, clearly there is hygiene issue in the back. We will definitely not return.

3  Thank romeTNS
There are newer reviews for Rajdhani Ristorante Indiano

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I visit this restaurant whenever I visit Rome (apart from this August when it was closed for holidays). I have always been there at lunchtime and sometimes have the 'set' lunch (it's called the 'tourist menu' - something which I usually avoid - but I'm glad I made an exception here). It is delicious, although I struggle to eat it all - there is so much! They have vegetarian and non-vegetarian options (see their website for the full menu - the link is at the top of this TA page). I find the meals are less spicy-hot than the equivalent ones in England, so I just ask for it to be spiced-up/chillies to be added.

The restaurant staff are friendly and you can make your visit as formal or informal as you want - when I go, there is normally a mix of businessmen and families. Lunchtime tends to be quiet. I can't comment about evenings, having not been there then. I have been advised bookings are advisable for weekends. They also do takeaway, so it is a very good choice if you are self-catering.

Looking forward to my next visit in December!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was looking forward to my first taste of Indian food in Rome, and the web site and reviews looked promising. We were however thoroughly disappointed.
The decor is cutely ecumenical with its eclectic display of Buddha, Ghanesh, Kali and Jesus Christ, and the menu front is lavishly illustrated in gold patterns.
We chose à la carte vindaloo mutton (and asked for extra spicy), prawn biryani, daal, aloo, raita and garlic naan. I had a salt lassi that was too thick and overly salty, which led me to drink half my companion's beer. A request for a second beer was ignored as the manageress strolled from table to table chatting and the waiter just sat on a chair.
The service was consistently slow and indifferent and the food underwhelming. The mutton dish contained more potatoes than meat and the sauce lacked both bite and flavour. The biryani was served with entire prawns in it, shells, heads and all. It was the best dish however, tasty and aromatic. The daal was bland, the aloo served in a cloyingly sweetish sauce. The raita was good and so was the naan.
When I went to pay the manageress remembered about the second beer and apologized, but it was too late. It took several tries to pay by credit card as her machine wouldn't connect - not her fault but it did add to my general insatisfaction and irritation.
It's not particularly expensive, but I wouldn't have minded paying more for a better experience.

1  Thank brancusirocks
Reviewed 19 May 2013

After reading about this restaurant on trip advisor we decided to give it a try as we were after a break from constant Italian food and we were not disappointed! Great food, good portion sizes, friendly helpful staff and a very authentic setting. The prices were also extremely reasonable, we would not hesitate going back here in the future!

1  Thank siobhanstewart
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I found this restaurant last year, by chance, as I was walking along a side-road in Trastevere. When I returned this April, I found it to be as excellent as last year and would recommend it to everyone. The manageress remembered me from last year - so even enquired whether I wanted my meal 'spiced up' (as generally the spicing is mild in Italian-indian restaurants). The atmosphere of the restaurant is very family-friendy, welcoming and a cross between formal and informal - an excellent place for all, whether it be business lunches or family gatherings. I look forward to returning when I next visit Rome.

I would have visited again this holiday, but ran out of time.