“Loved it.”
Review of Palazzo Olivia

Palazzo Olivia
Ranked #63 of 1,150 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just home from 4 nights here with friends,even though we were 2 couples sharing we had complete privacy as the 2 bedrooms were at either end of the apartment. The living/ dining area was small,but all we needed as we only slept there. The bed was so comfortable ,we slept so well.The kitchen area was fully equipped.Free Wi-Fi available.The breakfast in the downstairs bar area was lovely. Very central location,would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the building,but our friends at the front & they said it was quite n...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sassisnipper

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Think most things have been said about this gem nestled away in the very heart of Rome.......the location made this the perfect place for seeing the splendours of the city....it really is two minutes from the Piazza Navona and everywhere was within easy walking distance. The initial approach was a little disconcerting...there was rubbish and broken glass in the street but once we'd got over that, were charmed by our accommodation. The building was traditional and quite rustic-our rooms were basic but very clean and we had lovely white crisp beds. wi fi worked which pleased the teenagers. Breakfast was good if you arrived early enough to catch the pastries and the fruit but arrive late (i.e. after 0930) at your peril! We only did this once and there was nothing left!
We think that our upstairs neighbours thought they were in Amsterdam as they wore clogs the whole time-they were very noisy and the wooden floors really echoed-once they moved out, the new occupants were quiet and considerate.
A real bonus was the fabulous restaurants at the end of the street.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bed apartment on the 2nd floor-lovely sized bedrooms but there is no room for a family to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Alliebee33
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My father and I toured Italy during October 2013 and after staying in a hotel in Rome for two nights to begin the trip, returned to Rome for a nine night stay. Because I was umming and arghing about the Palazzo Olivia, it sold out for the first two nights. However, I decided that I wanted to give this place a go so went ahead with booking it for the final seven nights of the trip.

Following completing my booking, I received an email from Jenifer, the lead correspondent of Palazzo Olivia, informing me that due to a computer glitch (on the hotel deal website, not Palazzo Olivia's) the first night I had booked was sold out. Signs were telling me not to book this hotel, however, I was sold on it, so I reduced the seven nights to six and added an extra night to the other accommodation.

This ended up being one of my best decisions on this trip.

After spending three nights in a relatively poor and run down accommodation, my father and I caught a cab and after a little bit of walking around in a circle not realising that we had walked past the front door, we found the place and entered.

Arriving at 11am, we knew we had to leave our bags in the office until check-in time and after going into the restaurant and finding no one there, one of the staff, Danni, assisted us. She was our first exposure to this accommodation and it was a nice polite and welcoming experience, with offers of maps, suggestions and guidance on what was around to assist us to kill the next few hours before we could formally check-in.

Returning to the accommodation, we were formally welcomed by none other than the Jenifer I had spoken with over email. Again, she was welcoming, friendly and willing to assist. Furthermore, she provided us with the couple of words you always want to hear as a guest, "you've been upgraded". We were upgraded from a Junior Apartment (for 3 people) to a Family Apartment.

After taking our bags up two floors in the lift, we opened our door to a small little lounge/sitting room that also doubled as a dining room. It had a TV with the expanded sky channels, which pleased my Dad (to get English on these channels, click on the info button and change the spoken language to Inglese). We then were met by a large corridor that connected two bedrooms and also contained a small kitchen area.

I took the furthest bedroom which contained a queen bed, a desk, bedside tables, an armoire, two sets of windows that opened to the street, and an ottoman that converted to a second bed if required. Next door was my bathroom that was large and contained a sink, a shower, toilet, bidet and a window that opened to the middle of the building.

Working my way back down the corridor, the kitchen contained a full fridge, sink, microwave, kettle and toaster.

Finally, the master bedroom was a duplicate in size of my bedroom. However, it also contained a walk in robe that would make any number of ladies jealous that they don't get that size at home. It also had an ensuite bathroom that had all the things the master bathroom had.

Also, in each room, there was an overhead fan just too top things off.

It was absolutely perfect for a father and son combination that had travelled together for about a month and needed some personal space. The rooms were large and clean, and were maintained every other day. There was also free Wi-Fi internet with a strong connection.

After having a good night's sleep, we were welcomed into the restaurant downstairs for breakfast. It was basic, but by no means not adequate. Freshly cut fruit, newly made pastries, toast and cereal were offered with a range of juices, coffees and teas to compliment. It wasn't the most expansive of breakfasts we were offered, but it was up there on being the tastiest and freshest.

From the building's location, there is no train station nearby. There, that is the one negative of this review. With no train station nearby, you will have to walk or catch a taxi. I see this as partly a positive as well because Rome should be walked. Regardless, you are two minutes walk from the Piazza Navona. You are four minutes walk from Campo di Fiori. You are six or seven minutes away from the Victor Emmanuel monument (passing the Largo di Torre Argentina on your way). Next door to this monument are the Forums and next door to that is the Collosseum. You are ten minutes walk from the Pantheon and fifteen from the Trevi Fountain. Finally, you are approximately fifteen minutes from Vatican City. Basically, what I am saying is that this place is well located.

Our final day in Rome and staying at the Palazzo Olivia came all too soon, and to get to the airport, we booked a town car organised by the hotel for 40 euro. It was a very competitive rate and after saying our good byes to Jenifer the night before, and then Danni on the day, we got into a comfortable car that whisked us away to the Fiumicino airport like we were celebrities.

Quite obviously, I cannot speak highly enough of our stay at the Palazzo Olivia. If you want to stay in a central location and in rooms that are clean, comfortable and large, with a solid breakfast and warm staff, choose this hotel. If you don't believe me, it's your loss.

Jenifer and Danni, thank you for making our final stay of our Italy trip a memorable one. Palazzo Olivia, I look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: I only got to view the Family Apartment, but I am guessing that the other apartments and rooms are s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank GT05
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The location was perfect, close to all main sightseeing in the historical centre of Rome. The Vatican, the Pantheon, the Trevi fountain, Piazza Navona, the Spanish steps...We managed to visit all these sites in 2 days!! Jenifer - the reception lady speaks fluent English and is very friendly and nice. I booked a 2 bedroom apartment which was brilliant - really well heated, very clean, comfortable beds...If I came to Rome would definitely stay there again. Such a gem.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MartichkaE
Reviewed 28 December 2013

An amazing location!! Just off Piazza Navona and within a block of great eateries like the Fridgerium gelato, Culdesac wine bar and Montecarlo's pizza. The campo is across the road and transport options are great.
The cleaning staff were lovely and so helpful. The washing machine in our apartment was broken for the 8 days were there and the cleaners washed our clothes in another machine for us a number of times.
The kids were given some toiletries (sponge, soap etc) when we arrived which they loved and a Santa figure on Christmas Eve which I thought was a nice touch.
The apartments are very small but I think this is common in Rome, especially in the city.
I would say that the bed was one of the least comfortable I've slept in- hard even compared to beds in Asia! Also, the apartment was sparse- there wasn't even anywhere to put soap, let alone shampoo / conditioner in the showers. Finally, communication was a little lacking eg we didn't get shown to the apartment or where anything was. We didn't find out the washing machine was broken until I asked where it was (on the balcony!) and then was told it was broken.
I would probably stay again because the location is hard to beat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank eachschoolholidays
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on a romantic break in the city.
Although not a hotel as such, you get all the comforts of a hotel (toiletries, towels, fresh sheets every other day, slippers, hairdryer, safe, SKY TV with full HD channels, breakfast in the adjoining restaurant).
The accommodation is situated just off the Piazzo Navona, approximately 25 minutes walk to the Vatican, 35 minutes walk to the Colloseum, 20 minutes walk to the Trevi Fountain and only 5 minutes walk to the Pantheon.
Needless to say there are thousands of restaurants nearby to choose from.
The bed was comfortable, outside noise was minimum, the shower large and powerful and the room very clean.
I will definitely book here next time I head to Rome !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darran C
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Where to start? Our apartment was well appointed, clean and quaint. The towels and linens were changed at several times during our trip which was a nice surprise, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We tend to be low maintenance travelers so we were perfectly happy with arranging our questions around posted office hours. The complimentary breakfast was plentiful and tasty. A major plus was the location. Palazzo Navone and Campo de Fiori are an easy 2 minute walk, the Vatican 15, Pantheon 10 and Trevi 20. There are many excellent restaurants (not completely Americanized tourist traps) within easy walking distance, and most importantly it is 2 minutes from The Fridgidarium which is one of the best Gelato shops in Rome. Would come back to Palazzo Olivia in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family