“Best Service and food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ghetto
Description: Nonna Betta - kosher style cuisine is an authentic Roman Jewish restaurant. Traditional dishes handed down by grandmother Betta are prepared express, using only seasonal ingredients. Among these, our famous fried platters, well loved for their feather-light texture. Aside from the variety with which they rotate, the oil employed for frying is used exclusively for cooking fresh vegetables and cod fillets only, that is never crustaceans or mollusks (that are prohibited) nor frozen products, which are totally missing from our pantry. The restaurant is cozy and pleasant. On the walls are large reproductions of art depicting vignettes of daily life in the Rome Jewish Ghetto before the late 1800s demolitions. In this place, immersed in a relaxed and welcoming setting, you can relive the stories of the Ghetto, and perhaps find answers to questions you "never dared to ask" regarding the Jewish culture, religion or the 2000 year-old presence of Jews in Rome.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The service was as good as the food! We had a mix of everything and our wait staff was hilarious! Best way to end our trip!

Thanks to for a Bisho super memorable night! We are so so glad we came!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,007)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very disappointed. The bread was tasteless and I didn’t order it but was charged 4.50. We asked for tap water and was told they didn’t have tap water. Half the letters on the bottle were worn off and the bottle didn’t have a seal on it so we basically paid for tap water. The meals were subpar. My daughter’s gnocchi with lamb sauce actually tasted bad and my beef roast was fine but such a small portion I couldn’t believe it was 15.00. I would have complained but our waiter never even looked our way until I finally had to complain. I understand European wait staff doesn’t rush patrons out or bother them much but this was beyond that by about 20 minutes. When I finally got up to find someone I was so ready to pay my bill and leave but felt sequestered there by an absurd amount of apologies from our very sorry waiter who didn’t bring the bill like I asked but another bottle of tap water and deserts that I seriously didn’t want and didn’t eat. I just wanted to go. It was a disappointing last evening in Rome.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food at Nonna Betta is simple but very good, the artichokes are outstanding, not to be missed. It is a traditional Italian Jewish restaurant with a laid back but friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went here our first day in Rome, on the recommendation of various guide books. It was probably the most disappointing meal of our 2 week Europe trip. The food just wasn't special at all. The fried artichoke seemed overcooked to slightly burnt and dry, not very tasty, and certainly not amazing. The carbonara dish was OK but again not special, and I think it was around 12-13 Euro. We got a couple meat dishes that I can't remember, because they were also just OK. The prices were high, and we got charged 8 Euros for the measly bread basket that they plopped down onto the table. The service was functional but not attentive and certainly not personable. We left feeling tourist-trapped! You can do way better for much less money.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a great time at Nonna Betta. Excellent wine, proper artichoke but the tripe dish is to die for.
Service attentive and very friendly, but professional.
I can’t believe all the stupid reviews about the presentation and the simplicity of the dishes... That’s exactly what Roman Jewish cuisine is about! If you want edible flowers and creamy sauces on your plate go to Dubai.

Been to Nonna Betta? Share your experiences!