“Lovely place”
Review of La casa dell'arte

La casa dell'arte
Ranked #973 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely quiet place. Hard to find - look for the doorbell, do not expect a sign. Quiet and friendly, felt like our own private apartment! Breakfast is very Italian, a coffee and a pastry next door. I recommend for a short stay, couples or a quick trip.

Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This B&B is not a "regular" B&B experience. Here are my good points and bad points:

Good points:
-clean rooms
-close to the Termini station
-cheap room rates
-comfortable beds
-modern TVs
-free, fast wifi
-air conditioning
-safes for your valuables are provided in the rooms
-polite reception from the hotel owner

Bad points:
-the building and surrounding area is extremely noisy*
-the area does not feel safe at all**
-the reception is not 24/7***
-the (somewhat unfriendly, non-English speaking) cleaner does not provide fresh towels/bed sheets

*There is a LOT of noise in this building at all times, but especially during the night. My room was on the first floor and there was so much commotion inside and outside this building. This made it difficult to have a full, undisturbed night's sleep.

**Because of all of the noise, and being disturbed by people running around the interior of the building at night, I didn't feel safe in this B&B. Yes, there are double/sometimes triple locks on the main B&B door along with your own room door, but the area just doesn't feel right. However, I think the safety problems have not gone unnoticed by the residents of the building because during my stay there were men employed to install CCTV cameras, a security gate inside the main doors, and a new lock on the main door. So hopefully people staying here in the future would feel safer than I did.

***When you book your stay, you will receive an email shortly after your payment has been processed asking for your arrival time. This is not a 24/7 B&B, so you have to find a mutually agreeable time to check-in with the owners. If you arrive late at night, there are extra charges: between 19:00-22:00 it's €10 extra; between 22:00 and 24:00 it's €50 extra; after 24:00 it's not possible to check-in. However, this wouldn't be a problem if you organised your visit well and alerted the owners to any delays you might have. I had no problems with this (although it did make me a little uneasy about my arrival).

In general, it was OK. The price was right and it did me OK for 5 nights. You can't have high expectations for a place like this. But, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to see if you can have a room in the main apartment on the 5th floor - I was on the lower first...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Emma L
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

STAY AWAY!!
I don't know where to start. Probably at the rudeness of the staff. They do not speak much English so very hard to understand...told them I would arrive at approximately 2pm... I had an email at 2:01pm asking where we were because they had to go out. (Not 24 hour hotel)
Then...the most frightening night of my life...about 3am the buzzer to the hotel was going frantically... The door from the main road doesn't lock leaving anyone to come up to the main hotel door (which is on the 5th floor)... The area isn't very safe at all - scams everywhere. Anyway...they started banging the door and continuing to ring the buzzer...I was too scared to go out...another couple went out but didnt let them in. I was too scared to even put the light on. I rang the owners and said there was someone frantically banging (like they were after you, it was like a horror film) but they said YOU WOKE ME UP and said what were they suppose to do about it (there's no reception...no one is there 24 hours which is very unverving). I sent two messages to the owner telling them I was going to ring the police, luckily the banging stopped at about 4am. It's horrible because there is only one door out of there and someone was banging on it (apparently prostitutes and crazy people live in the flats too) so we felt TRAPPED. We were suppose to stay 3 nights but we LEFT after our first night because I was too petrified - I didn't sleep after that. We got up and went to another hotel. When I asked for a refund and some kind of explanation as to why they didn't do anything about my phone call or even care for the safety of their guests, the lady simply didnt care and refused to give any money back. She said if there was a crazy person what was she going to do... imagine how we felt trapped in our rooms!!! She then rudely started talking Italian to the cleaner so that I couldn't understand. I hope people read this review as I wouldn't suggest this hotel to my worst enemy. If you don't mind feeling unsafe and neglected then stay here!! Definitely below hotel/b&b standards of safety.

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank AmyAlice12
Reviewed 1 June 2014

WE stayed 4 nights here during our Italy vacation trip. It's not a hotel but a european-style B&B so set up your expectations accordingly. I chosen it because of proximity to Termini and all public transport. Price is quite affordable for this area. Rooms are clean, everything is relatively new but not the highest quality. Room size is OK (but not large) but bathroom is tiny. The area is quite busy (again due to proximity to Termini) and can be noisy even during the night. The do not serve breakfast on premises, instead you are given a voucher which you can use in a cafe downstairs, one voucher buys you a coffee and a pastry, not very much (but coffee is good as anywhere in Italy). You have to coordinate your arrival with staff (it's not staffed most of the time) and if you arrive late in the evening be prepared to pay extra.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My 3rd time staying at this property and my 2nd review. Clean, basic, comfortable, and quiet. It is a flat converted into 5 rooms, each having it's own bathroom. After you check in, the staff leaves. You are given the keys to get in and out of the building and the room. Breakfast is a pastry and coffee at the restaurant next door.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

For the price, I'm not sure you can do better than Casa Dell'Arte.
We were a little confused on arrival as it is not easy to find. You have to take the lift to the top floor & ring the bell with a tiny B&B label. The proprietor showed us our room & gave us tickets for breakfast. The room was a good size wih a colour Tv. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels, although the shower was really tiny. The room was very clean. Breakfast is in a cafe round the corner, your ticket entitles you to a coffee/tea & a pastry, basic but good enough.

Negative points;
It could do with tea & coffee making facilities in the room.
The proprietor chains smokes & there is a smoky smell throughout the B&B.

Positive points;
Location, location, location!! It is easy to get everywhere.
Price, you spend the money you saved on others things!

I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Located near Termini Station, it is easy to go everywhere. The room was clean, quiet and warm, heated by an air conditioner.(It was made everyday). What I liked most was that it was equipped with a kitchenette and a refrigerator so that I could prepare meals. And it takes only 3 minutes to a big supermarket. Surroundings are not that cool but I did not feel dangerous at all. The only minus was the breakfast, which consisted of a cup of coffee and a croissant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo