“Nice family restaurant tucked away in Prenestina”

Il Gabbiano Al Pigneto
Ranked #3,152 of 12,784 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My mom and I went here for dinner on a Saturday night right after I moved to the area. We were the only English speakers in the entire place, it was jam packed with loud Italian families. The service was prompt and friendly and the food was fantastic. I got the white fish baked in thinly sliced potatoes (DIVINE!) and my mom got the seafood soup, which ended up being a mix of seafood cooked in a thin tomato soup. We also got bruschetta pomodoro and a glass of the house red. Really great meal for around 50 euro for the two of us. Fresh and delicious seafood done right!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Want to try a really valuable gastronomic experience? Il Gabbiano is the place you are looking for. Unlike the tourists restaurants in the city centre, you'll find there excellent seafood and a great variety of Italian wines. I discovered this place searching in tripadvisor and my friends and I were finally fully satisfied with the overall quality: exquisite food, good wine, kind service and fair price.
Please note the restaurant is at a walking distance from Pigneto (a fashionable area, not far from Termini station).

1  Thank Rome_ItalyFrancesca
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

My mom and I went here for dinner on a Saturday night. I'd just moved to Rome and after a bout of stomach flu and bad food we were looking for something good. This place really delivered! We got a glass of wine, bruschetta pomodoro, and two big seafood dishes for under 40Euro. My mom got the seafood stew, which ended up being a platter of shrimp, crab, clams, oysters, and fish in a red sauce. I asked for whatever the waitress recommended and got an amazing dish of white fish baked in thinly sliced potato, a traditional Roman dish done to perfection. The service was friendly, the place was packed with big groups of Italian families, really great place!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Food is excellent. I did not give an overall excellent rating only because I sometimes found some inconsistency in the quality across days. Also, service can be slow, sometimes (it depends on how much crowded it is).
Seafood is defensively the major strength of this restaurant. You can find seafood based meals that are unique.
I would suggest Lucania meals such as polpette di baccala" (codfish balls) and baccala ai peperonui cruschi (codfish served with crusty red peppers) or meat with walnuts, honey and Aglianico red wine.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Prices are quite affordable for the quality of food and service offered. Seafood recommended