“A Roman tradition!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Reviewed 7 April 2014

There is nothing about Da Giovanni that is not good. I have dined there 4 times in three trips over 3 years and will go back when any opportunity presents itself. The food is traditional cooking and always good. I cannot understand even the few criticisms on Tripadvisor. I think some persons can't really remember where they dined! The same two seasoned waiters have been there for years and you get the sense of a true professionalism. The prices are reasonable. To me this means that I can have a feast without usual tariff! Try the whole artichoke including the stem as a starter, but don't expect there to be any left if you get there late. Our delicious meal for two without the drinks was 55 euros. Reservations are probably not necessary out of season but go early if you want one of those artichokes!

2  Thank William H

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I chose this restaurant as I walked by it one afternoon and was intrigued by the interior, the fact that you had to go down a flight of stairs to get inside and the fact that everyone leaving it was speaking Italian. I returned later that night and came too early but met the owner and his mother at the door, who told me they would open early for me. I gave them another 20 minutes and was the first customer. Professional, older waiters. very attentive. The wine the waiter chose for me was good and I enjoyed the meal. Everything was clean and the food was hot, hearty, satisfying.

The people working here were very nice people. Professional and accommodating.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Woe, wish we had found Giovanni's earlier. Great traditional family recipes. Mamma in the kitchen and always smiling. Waiter very helpful and attentive. Do NOT leave without having a piece of Mont Blanc for dessert. The best!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We ate at this restaurant on two consecutive evenings. The food was simple italian cuisine which was provided in generous portions. It was very tasty and was reasonably priced ... we had 2 1/2 courses (1/2 because we shared a dessert) including soft drinks for 48 euro for the two of us .... this seems good value for Rome.
Although the waiters didn't speak any English, they were very welcoming and seemed to have a very dry sense of humour.
It is true the décor is quite dated, and some of it probably dates back to when it was founded in 1948, but it was clean and brightly lit ... I suppose being situated in a cellar, good lighting is essential. It seems to be frequented by locals, which is always a good sign.

1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went here on our first night in Rome and it was a total disappointment.. The food was bland. I had fettuccine bolognese and it was all pasta with a few small pieces of meat. My friend had fettuccine with a tomato based sauce, peas and mushrooms - however once again it was all pasta, with four slices of mushroom and a couple of peas. This meal was definitely not how we imagined our first dinner in Rome to be like. Even though it is quite cheap, I would highly recommend spending a few more euros and getting a much tastier meal.