“Superb Italian Dining.”

Ristorante Da Giovanni
Ranked #1,227 of 12,268 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Auckland.
“Superb Italian Dining.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Hunted this restaurant out on the recommendation of Rick Steves Guide to Rome, and we were certainly glad we did. Dined there every night we were in Rome, and would recommend anyone staying near the Termini or Via Nationale to eat there. Reading some of the negative reviews, I can understand why certain visitors from the USA don't relate to the type of dining and service that is so unique and Italian, however I would put their dissatisfaction down to their unworldleyness rather than any fault of the establishment.

2 Thank Voshed

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
“Avoid this Restaurant”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This restaurant needs a good general manager, wait staff, and a new chef.
I made reservations for a large family party of all ages, bambinos included. I was assured they had adequate seating including high chairs. I confirmed our reservation. When our party arrived (on time) the tables were not set up. There seemed to be a total lack of comprehension as to how to handle a family meal.
The food was substandard. When I go to a "restaurant" I want a dining experience I cannot get at home. I ordered a veal dish. It sounded delicious...what was plopped in front of me should not happen to veal. It was a melange of canned peas, canned mushrooms, some kind of brown sauce and thankfully tender pieces of meat. Needless to say I did not stay for the dessert course.
The wait staff seemed to completely out of their element.
Save your Euros and go somewhere else

Visited May 2014
1 Thank beauchampagne
Seattle
“Worn out, uninspired”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Of the diners in this restaurant on a week night around 8, all were tourists. It must be hard to be fresh and original when you are not serving many return customers. Our whole meal, from antipasto and soup to the main course, was a bit tasteless and ordinary. Nothing was bad, but nothing knocked our socks off.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 4gardengirl
Bristol, RI
“Good meal!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was a place that was recommended to us, and in the end we enjoyed it. We went without reservations, and were seated - alone - in their basement dining room. I even asked (in Italian) why we were all alone and was told not to worry, people would be coming. Which they did, eventually....but we felt sort of out of sorts about the seating choice. That being said, we had an excellent meal. Tortellini in brodo was delicious and reminded me of my time living in Bologna. The whole family enjoyed the meal. We had a carafe of their house red wine, which was good, too. Once more tables were filled in this room, the atmosphere improved. Our waiter was an older man who was very accommodating. The decor hasn't changed in about 50 years, I am sure, but the food was wonderful. I would eat there again.

• Visited April 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good value”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Da Giovanni is your basic family owned restaurant.
The food is well prepared, the ambience warm.
It is a terrific value and the waitstaff is old fashioned courteous
And Fabrizio a delightful host. The cuisine is classic Roman.
I especially enjoyed the cannelloni and the saltimbocca alla romana.
The fresh fruit is a welcome dessert, especially when strawberries are in season.
A good value restaurant and a great place for families. The local wine is delicious
And is modest in cost. A real roman experience.

• Visited April 2014