“Absolutely Terrible”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Colonna
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I wish someone put a sign in front of the restaurant to say it is terrible. The owner is just a complete load of lies "family run""homemade pasta"etc. Its a shame he has the gift of the gab and sucks people into the restaurant. He seemed proud to be Italian and of the restaurant but I don't know how you could be when you are ripping people off and serving terrible food. The table next to us complained their chicken was cold, the waiter snapped the plate away walked 5m and then put it in the microwave for everyone to hear. Glad we didn't get as ripped off as other people as we read the menu before entering. Ruined our first impressions of Rome, cant imagine what other restaurants rated worse than this would be like.. The restaurant should be ashamed of itself.

3  Thank Declan B

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Terrible place! The only thing I didn't like about our trip to Rome was this restaurant. The food was ok as was the atmosphere. However, it was easily twice as much to eat here than anywhere else. A small bottle of wine was 20 euro which is outrageous compared to EVERY other restaurant. They even know it's a rip off because the manager himself gives you the bill so you can't yell at the staff. Somehow our combined appetizer became two appetizers fro twice the price. If you can either eat somewhere else or starve.

1  Thank Joseph M
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Luring us in with his 'this is not a tourist place' line, my girlfriend and I went in for lunch. The mafioso type looking waiter/owner didn't bring us any menu's but just proposed 2 small dishes, after which he shouted them to his cook. We had 2 glasses of wine, which were half water half wine, a starter (some mozzarella and bruschetta), and a prima (simple pasta). I was already expecting a bit of a ripoff at around €60 or so. But once asking for the bill, we were presented with a sheet of paper with €86 written on it.. No specific items listed, just the price...for 2 people. I was shocked and asked for the individual items on the menu, but the guy refused. I paid, after which the guy wanted to shake our hand. I refused. There are many roads that lead to Rome, but stay away from this restaurant when in Rome!! Horrible tourist ripoff!!

3  Thank N8Kolenberg
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I will never go this restaurant, again! The owner didn't take an order because we ordered the famous and cheap Italian Pizza. He demanded to pay 2 EURO for the terrible toilet. He was very proud of his nationality, Italian, but he never realized to beneath his country's dignity by himself.

3  Thank frishim
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My experience was just what every other patron seems to have been treated to. I actually saw the restaurant from across the street and decided to have lunch there on my own. As I was about to walk in I saw the owner(?) who was outside, trying to hustle people in. Once I was seated, they dropped off 2 slices of somewhat stale bread without asking if I wanted it (it's included the 'cover charge'). I ordered a soup (4 E), which turned out to be just a big bowl of broth. I also ordered water and a glass of wine. The water was in a very large bottle, and the wine was at least double what I've been served at other restaurants in Rome. It crossed my mind they are trying to pad the bill.

I ordered a 12 Euro liver dish and the owner who's apparently also the waiter asked if I'd like some potatoes or mushrooms with it. I ordered the mushrooms. The liver and the mushrooms were okay - not great, not bad. As I found at the end, the mushrooms are a 17 Euro plate. I refused desert and coffee and just got the tab. It still surprised me it was 50 Euro. The owner presented me with a bill without the items listed, only the costs scribbled. I had to work it out on my own. Yes, they include service charges and even round up to whole numbers.

It's very difficult not to find a better lunch in Rome for about half the price. Avoid this racket at all costs!

2  Thank nickFL

Been to La Tavernetta? Share your experiences!