“Great Hotel, One of the Staff Could Use Some Work”

Hotel Moses Fountain
Ranked #596 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Peoria, Illinois
“Great Hotel, One of the Staff Could Use Some Work”
Reviewed 23 November 2010

This hotel is great; cleaner, nicer, more modern, and unique than any other I have stayed at in Europe for the money. Although it's not cheap, but nothing good in Rome is. We did have some minor complaints about one of the staff, I will get to that in a bit, and I don't think we were the only ones.
We stayed for 5 nights total. One at the beginning of our trip and 4 at the end before coming home. We stayed in the mid-grade rooms both times, the blue room (Indigo, I think it's called) and the brown room (Turtle Dove, maybe).
As many have already written you enter through a door around the corner from the fountain itself and climb many stairs to get to the 6 rooms. We were prepared for these details thanks to the reviews on TripAdvisor.
The location is minutes away from a metro stop and its not much further to Termini train station. The minibar is complimentary and they even provide complimentary wine and cheese on the terrace in the evening if the weather is nice. We even had some complimentary wine and cheese offered in our room one evening because it was raining.
The owners were very helpful, gave a good dinner recommendation, and arranged for transportation to the airport the day we left.
Breakfast is included and served either on the terrace or in the room. It includes bread, croissants, cheese, fruit, coffee, etc.
The first morning we were there we were served breakfast in our room by a very nice staff member (Laura I think) who didn't speak much English but it didn't really matter. She was very nice and helpful despite not speaking much English.
During the second stay there was a different staff member working the mornings and that's where we ran into some minor problems... I don't think we ever got her name but she spoke pretty good English. The first morning with her we requested breakfast in our room and she obliged but made a rude comment about it supposed to be served on the terrace that day. I understood that but we were told during check in the first day that breakfast was usually served on the terrace during nice weather but it would not be a big deal if we wanted it in our room instead. As it was October and the mornings can be a little cool my wife preferred to have breakfast in our room.
The next day day I ordered breakfast in our room again from the same staff member and ordered cappuccinos thinking she would need to know the type of coffee we wanted. This somehow upset her and she snapped at me: "The menu is the same as yesterday!"
The next two mornings we just asked her if it was alright to have breakfast in the room trying not to upset her. She obliged each day but it was clear she was not too happy about it.
I know all this isn't a big deal but she could definitely use some instruction on offering better service. We pretty much laughed it off and made a joke over which one of us would have to order from her. But someone else might not take it so well and let it sour their experience at this wonderful hotel.
On the morning of our last day, on our way out with our bags, my wife heard this same staff member arguing/scolding another couple of guests. Not sure what was going on there but maybe we weren't the only ones who had issues with her.
We would stay again! Hopefully a certain staff member would have some better manners or not be working during our next stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed at Moses Fountain Hotel the first few days of our recent trip to Italy. This was our first trip to Italy so I was a bit concerned about booking a room via email at a small, unknown hotel. However, the staff provided excellent communication from the time I made the reservation until the time we arrived. They are fantastic! They arranged a private driver to pick us up at the airport and it was not much more expensive than taking a cab. I highly recommend this option. The driver was waiting for us inside the airport and helped us with our luggage. It made our arrival so easy and smooth.

We arrived at the hotel early Sat morning (10am) and were extremely tired. We were so pleased that they already had our room ready and waiting for us. They even brought us each a wonderful cappuccino and croissant. It was the perfect greeting to Rome.

We loved the bathroom amenities. The shampoo, etc. smelled great and were a nice change from what you usually get at a hotel. The room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable.

The location is great. It is within walking distance of many activities and restaurants. If you are looking for a nightcap there is a small bar across from the fountain. Avoid St. Regis which is next door. The worst and most expensive meal we had in Italy was at St. Regis.

The mini-bar is free and contains diet coke, fresca, water, snacks, etc. They bring your breakfast to your room when you are ready for it. The breakfast is typical italian fare. It was nice to have it brought to the room so we could eat as we were getting ready for the day.

We were extremely pleased with our stay at Moses Fountain Hotel and will definitely return on our next visit to Rome.

2 Thank Rhonda C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed at the Moses Fountain during the last part of our honeymoon, and it couldn't have been more perfect. The room was luxurious and completely original. The view out our balcony was beautiful, and I think I have convinced my new husband that we need a sunken bathtub in our house! What really made this place magical was the staff. Emanuela was very welcoming and incredibly knowledgeable. She told us the best way to see her city in the short amount of time we were there, and she was full of great recommendations. She took care of us when we needed to book reservations and print our Vatican tickets. The Moses Fountain was a great location (close to the train station) with a beautiful room and fantastic staff. I hope we can visit again in the future!

1 Thank Jill T
Perth
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Having discovered this gem (you enter through a door in a blank wall) after several trips to Rome, I would stay nowhere else. It's actually a B&B, which suits us perfectly. The friendly, informative, personalised welcome by the lovely owner Manuela is almost overwhelming. She even gave us her own PC to use for the Internet. The rooms and breakfast (you order it up when you are ready) are first class. The mini-bar is free. It was 72 steps up to our room, so don't turn up with a 30kg bag. The risk they take by not having a reception desk is being rectified as I write. The location is fine - a few minutes walk to the Metro and you're away. Street noise is cut out by double glazing. And I'd say priced spot on.

3 Thank Dean41
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Moses Fountain Hotel has all the makings to be first rate. We loved the stye, our room, decor, location, linens, toiletries, terrace, plantings. This should and could have been the perfect hotel for us. However, there were problems which soured our experience. We arrived after a long train trip having to quickly drop off our belongings, freshen up and leave to make a reserved Vatican City time slot. So we missed out on a full meet and greet, staff was not present when we returned in the evening and despite a 4 day stay we never got an orientation. There were no written greetings in the room so we were on our own to figure out air conditioning, we weren't informed that the minibar was gratis until we inquired about fee schedule a few days later, for the entire length of our stay we had no orientation to the neighborhood and until we happened to returned our last evening to freshen up before dinner happened upon a delightful evening wine and cheese on the terrace we did not know it existed. When I informed staff that we hadn't known about the wine and cheese instead of an apology I was told that it was not obligatory. The first night unbeknowst to us the shower door leaked and I used all our towels to mop a very wet floor. The next day when I informed staff, I was told that I was using the shower incorrectly. When I asked that I please be shown the correct way to secure the glass shield I was told it was broken, the owner had been previously informed but hadn't fixed it and I would be given an extra towel to wipe up leaky water. I said I didn't want there to be problems with water damage and was then told I would be given 2 extra towels. Not what I expexcted with the room rate we paid. A key swipe was used for most of the entry, at one we were unable to open the door to the outside which used a push button; when we asked staff how to operate the door we got an annoyed response. Maybe we hit an unusual weekend. With an attitude adjustment this would have been 5*s and an easy recommendation.

1 Thank Constance5
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for three nights at the beginning of our honeymoon. It's in a great spot in Rome, but isn't too noisy at night and is quite secluded for a hotel in the heart of the city! We stayed in the 'Swanky Cardinal' room, which was comfortable, stylish and very clean. The free minibar was very useful, as was the free wi-fi. The staff and the owners were very helpful, friendly and warm, and we picked up lots of tips on where to go in the city.
In the evening, we were served complimentary wine, mozzarella and tomatoes on the balcony; with citronella candles and a warm night, it was a lovely experience. We really enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank annagrace84
houston
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This hotel is so unique! Six individually decorated rooms that are embedded in the back of a beautiful fountain make for a romantic, slightly exotic, almost mysterious setting. Our room was complete with a balcony over the street and a sunken shower (yes, shower) in a tower. The bed was comfortable and the room immaculate. The owners were very sweet and helpful, and the rate included an adequate continental breakfast served on a private terrace. Not a great place for kids or the elderly as there are quite a few old stone stairs with few landings, but for us, on our 25th anniversary trip, it could not have been more perfect!

1 Thank hoegy