“Nice hostel but too expensive”

Galilei Guest House
Galilei Guest House
Ranked #2,346 of 3,643 Rome B&B and Inns
Malmo, Sweden
“Nice hostel but too expensive”
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

For 80 euros a night I expect a bit more .. It was shared toilet and bathroom, the kitchen was only room for 3-4 people at time which must be troublesome if the 3 rooms in the hostel wants to eat at the same time . The breakfast was ok, just toast, cake and jam, but ok. I missed having staff at the place to ask and when we met the woman who owned it, she was not very chatty or polite . If it would be a cheap hostel it would be great but not for the price. You expect some more . The location is great !!

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Small unmanned hostel with a well-stocked kitchen and good internet connection, though we had a bit of hassle before we got the WiFi working (tip: use WPS).

Good location - easy to walk from the central station, and within walking distance of the Colosseum and the Vatican amongst others.

The owner sent us an email on the same day, wanting us to announce our arrival time. We saw it by pure luck as we were travelling at the time and for the most part had no internet connection. This and some other communications difficulties lowered our Service grade a bit, but overall it was a nice place to visit.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came over from South Africa not knowing what to expect from Italy.

If you're looking for 5 star, you won't find it here. But for a place as comfortable, cost effective and perfectly located - look no further. Owners were helpful and weren't at all in your face. We basically had the entire apartment to ourselves.
We absolutely loved our stay, had EVERYTHING we needed and wouldn't hesitate to come back.

-Wifi
-Hot showers
-Comfortable bed and pillows
-Continental breakfast
-Quiet
-Ideal location...

What more does one need ??

• Stayed March 2013
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday in December 2011 and January 2012. we were unable to take a honeymoon after we were married in Sept. 2011 as I had to head back to school in the UK. After she joined me there a few months later I surprised her with a trip to Rome. After looking for a place to stay that would fit within our budget, I found Galilei. We were pleasantly surprised as David was an incredible host, taking the time to welcome us and give us the 'ins and outs' of the city.

The place was clean and neat every day, and David supplied a small breakfast, milk and juice, as well as coffee and bread. Although it was not much, it was pleasant a great thing to have when in a rush. The coffee was not great, but there is a place downstairs that makes some pretty good coffee...so go there. Nevertheless, all the services were low key but extremely helpful. There is a reviewer below from Budapest, who I believe was the family who stayed there while we were there. In addition, a younger guy (a DJ named Will) was interesting; he an I shared some fun conversations while my wife was asleep. It was a great experience.

During Christmas day, when my wife and I were just relaxing and having a sleep in, David and his twin brother (whose name I cannot remember) brought us candy and Panatone. He told us that it is what his family was having for the holiday and that we needed to partake in a true Italian treat. It was an unexpected surprise that we were grateful to receive.

This place is really close to the Metro and easily within distance to any place in the city. I love this place and hope to make it back there in a year or so.

I would return to Galilei any time I return to Rome.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We wanted a cheap, nice, clean, friendly place, for a family of 4 (kids aged 8 and 9), centrally located in Rome. Not often does it happen that you get exactly what you wanted! It was a wonderful stay for the price we paid. David and his mother were very helpful upon arrival. Later we learned that David worked for tourist information in Rome anything we wanted to know he had the answers. Places to take the kids, he told us where to go. CD store he showed us where it was. It was a great stay for 6 days. Negatives: Coffee machine produces luke warm coffee (downstairs is a great little coffee shop. All coffees, 1 Euro - opens at 7.30am).Also the toilet in the room has an electric motor attached which makes a bit of noise everytime you flush or use water. Positives: Metro around the corner and most of the time we ended up walking back after our daily tours. Highy recommended for an affordable and pleasant stay in Rome.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank 101Tourism
Steinbach, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2011

When traveling I don't often have a chance to check my email, which would have informed me that I needed to contact the owner with arrival details. Anyway, the 15 minute wait in front of the guest house on arrival was the only annoyance with this place. The owner was friendly and helpful. Overall it was comfortable, affordable, with decent access to the metro. The rooms could have used air conditioning, but fans were provided.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends