“Perfect location, value for money.”
Review of City's House B&B

City's House B&B
Ranked #982 of 3,692 Rome B&B and Inns
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Perfect location, value for money.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at city house for 4 nights and found it to be in a perfect location to explore the city. We walked everywhere, only using the bus to get there and back to the termini station (bus no 70 got us the closest on the way there for €3, a taxi would have cost €35-38).

It was easy enough to find, although is just a door with a small sign, but having read previous reviews we knew what to look for. Danielle was there to meet us, was very friendly and helpful.

The room was clean and tidy, we had the en suite room and were advised not to flush rubbish down the toilet as there had been problems in the past but we did not have any problem with this. We arranged for breakfast at 9am and received pastries, yoghurt, juice and coffee which was delivered to our room.

City house is located in a pedestrian street and there are restaurants in the street below which start to set up fairly early and finish around 11pm, we used earplugs and never heard a thing.

I would definitely stay here again in the future, the location is great, there would be no way of getting a hotel so central for this price and danielle was really lovely.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

On arrival we were informed that there had been a problem with one of the toilets in the City House, and that we would have to share our en suite bathroom with the people in the next room. The bathroom wasn't en suite it was in fact next door to our room, so were missold the room in the first instance, the proprietors need to understand what en suite means! Being a good natured and easy going couple we agreed (not that we really had an option). We were assured that 'the sharing' of the bathroom would only be for the first night of stay. I didn't meet the guys we shared the facilities with but be assured they were very hairy! On the second night of our stay we were assured that the bathroom was now solely for our use, on returning to the room that evening I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and found a young lady taking a pee! Seems 3 girls had arrived and were staying in the double room next door. We were subjected to four lectures in total regarding closing doors quietly - we actually crept around the place like mice for the duration of our stay for fear of waking the owners - and seemed to get the blame every time any of the other guests had the audacity to use a door! All very bizarre. Service was pretty diabolical, the water in the bathroom/shower was cold all weekend and the attitude of the owners was very strange! The paranoia of the owner ref the door opening and closing is beyond belief - signs everywhere - how are guests supposed to get in and out of their rooms without using the doors? On the morning of our departure the owner came to our room and was pretty obnoxious - I would assume someone had dared to close a door during the night and we were subjected to another telling off. We expected basic accomodation in a great location - not cold showers, a hairy bathroom and four tellings off!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lisa s
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I read the review of Heidi (her review is the one before mine and I dont know her... :-)) and I agree with all she wrote and how she ranked…therefore, I ‘ll be short:
1. Daniella was a great person to meet. She is a warm hostess and we liked it.
2. This place is all about its location. Nothing else. I think it’s the best location in Rome (we used the Metro once: for the Vatican). I can’t describe the feeling of waking up early, and go down the narrow street to take a pick at the Pantheon and piazza della rotonda before the great crowd starts to arrive...
There were other places in the same neighborhood, but you pay double and more. We looked on the price of a 3 starts hotel around the corner, and they charged 3 times the price we paid. If you can afford it – go ahead.
Comment: If you plan to go to bed at 9 pm then you will probably have noise from the restaurants and people walking down the street, but we usually arrived to the room around 11 pm and by that time, the street was getting calm and quite.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yftah M
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Again I see Americans complain about low standard, and "not what you would get in the US". Well, here's some news from you, you're not in the US!
Also, it says very clear that this is a B&B and NOT a hotel. You get what you choose to pay for, and I also dare to say you are welcomed as you meet people.
Daniella is a hard working young woman running this place. I felt like I was staying at a friend's house. When I checked in I was asked what time I would like breakfast, and what kind of coffe I would like.. I chose 10 a.m., and at 10 a.m. She knocked on my door and gave me breakfast served to my room. Coffe, juice, yoghurt, croissant, butter, jam and a cake.
Room was clean. My room was very small, but for 2 days this was no problem. Free aircondition and free wifi.
Rooms are in a very old building in ancient Rome, so I completely understand "no slamming of doors" and that the plumming made some noise. Nothing that bothered me though.

Thank you Daniella, and good luck with "you know what" :-)

Heidi

Room Tip: Ask not to get the smallest room :-)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Heidi69_Oslo
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The most amazing location in Rome. Right next to Pantheon and in walking distance to the Vatikan. At this location you get to hear Rome and its beautiful language. You get to smell Rome from the amazing restaurants in the streets. And you get to feel Rome and its atmosphere. The rooms here are clean and in a romantic decor with dark wooden furniture and red chiffon drapes. And the hostess Daniela and her husband Mario are just darlings. They picked us up at the airport and worked hard to keep the place nice and inviting. My mother and I have only good things to say about this place - if ever in Rome again...this is where we will stay :-)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Debbiedegn
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This small bed and breakfast was perfect for our needs. The value couldn't be beat. We were just around the corner from the Pantheon and a short walk to Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain. Everything else is a short 15 minute walk away. The place is a little difficult to find and we recommend opting for the airport pick up - the price is the same as any taxi from the airport (48 euros) but the driver knows exactly where to take you.

We stayed in a small private room with a private bathroom and it was tiny but comfortable and clean. The breakfast was simple, with pastries, juice and cappuccino but it was a great start to the day not having to worry about finding food right off the bat. We had to pay cash to stay there, which is normal for most small, privately run places.

If you want luxury, this is not your place, but if you're looking to be in the centre of historic Rome without paying the prices of the fancy hotels ($300 euros and up), this is your place!

Room Tip: Private room is small but has all the privacy and own bathroom that you need.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed 25 June 2013

For US this place at best will translate to single star. I stayed there for 2 days and have several challenges.
1. Bathroom was very small. You can not avoid hitting both sides walls while taking shower. It was clean but not up to the mark.
2. Room was bit noisy and small. Although to its credit once you lock the windows, noice drawed down.
3. It was family owned house so do not confuse it with a hotel. Picture is drawn to confuse folks.
4. It was near Pantheon but Pantheon itself is remotly located. Might have been better to get a place near central station.
5. I asked for shower gel/ soap and lady said to use the same as one provided for hand cleaning. Services were bad, not welcoming at all.
6. Rates while right, designed to confuse. They are in Euros and compared side by side with dollars. 70 Euros look lower than $100 which it is not. So choose carefully.
7. To their credit breakfast was served but nothing close to what we might expect in US. It was merely designed to fullfill requirements than to provide a real breakfast.
Would not recommend at all.

Room Tip: Avoid at best and choose Other locations instead
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo