“Terrible Service for Average Place”
Review of Cherry Hostel

Cherry Hostel
Ranked #794 of 1,099 Speciality Lodging in Rome
“Terrible Service for Average Place”
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Booked this hostel because it was close to main station. Arrived in the morning and had to store our bags in an unlocked public area and was told that we could only check in at around 6pm at a different location (luckily for us, closer to station). Upon arrival back at 6, had to wait, and was taken to a different location, 10 minute walk at least in the opposite direction with no explanation. Room was average and a little dirty, double bed was two poor singles pushed together at different heights. Bathrooms didn't flush, and doors were hard to unlock. The only positive we're decent kitchen facilities, although breakfast was not served on time meaning we missed it. Would not stay again

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Jblezreviewer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
West Midlands
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We reserved two double rooms at cherry hostel. When we arrived, the place looks very messy and old, and we were told to pay full 3 nights in cash in advance, that immediately triggered my alarm and we refused to pay by cash in advance. The lady who seems to be one of the owners then said it was okay, so we agreed to pay night by night by cash. Then we were taken to another guest house 'sunny guest house' about 4/5 blocks away, and given a ancient room with a double bed and a bunk bed with no ladder going to the upper bed. The duvets had feather sticking out and looks older than my age, the furniture looks very old and dirty. There were another group sharing the flat, and there are two bathrooms and a kitchen in the flat. One of the bathroom doors wouldn't shut and left a pretty visible gap, the other one stinks with pee and the floor was so wet in the evening after people having showers. The kettle was full of lime scale, so thick that even after boiling the water you can see little white piece of lime scale in your cup. The breakfast was okay - basically they'll leave some milk, bread and cheese on the table then you just help yourself. Wifi internet is free.
We researched a bit more at night and we found out that many people found bed bugs, although it seems that they were mainly found in the rooms at the main office, but the bed sheets didn't look very clean, so we decided to check out after the first night.
People were walking in and out of our room in the morning without knocking, and there were different people coming in and out of the flat that we don't really know who they are.
One of the owners saw us leaving and he went furious on us, we explained to him that we didn't book the sunny guest house, nor we booked one room for four people (we booked two doubles). He claimed that we requested it because we wanted to stay together but we didn't ask for that at all. I also told him that the place is dirty and he said that's nothing, then I told him that people had been complaining about the bed bugs and the he said it was 3 years ago. When we arrived the reception to check out, and we explained the situation to the lady there, she was more understanding and we agreed to pay the first night of stay. But that man was threatening us to charge us for 3 nights on our credit cards and he tried to stop the receptionist to give us a receipt for the cash payment of the first night of stay. Luckily we did manage to checkout and had a receipt of what we paid. We also spoke to hotels.com where we booked this hostel, they told us the cancellation policy is to pay the first night of stay which we were anywhere, and they offered to help if we couldn't agree with the hostel with the early checkout due to the the quality of the service they provide.
We managed to book another place nearer to the station with around 3 euros more but with hotel standard facilities. If you travel in a group it's not that expensive to stay in the central if you're willing to stay in the same room, if you're a solo traveller just stay away from the central, you can travel by metro anyway. Just stay out of this place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CY392YF

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

We reserved a double room at cherry hostel but when we arrived they said it was fully booked and we had to go 2 blocks to their other hostel "guest room whatever" and we can go back the next morning. When we went to the other hostel the wifi was not working, the floor was so high, the elevator was so ancient and unsafe and the room smelled so bad. We decided to look and trasfer to another place and when we wanted to check out that night the owner Arnel insisted we had to pay 72€ for cancellation. 1st of all we never got the room that was agreed upon and they don't accept credit cards despite the fact that we booked it over the internet.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Jan Mike L
Lupeni, Hunedoara, Romania
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The below posts that say this place is contaminated with bed bugs are RIGHT ON! I do not know about the place across the street but the Cherry Hostel itself is CONTAMINATED! I woke up and found bed bugs under my pillow and in the fold of my sheets. Bed bugs are a serious issue and can travel with you so easily. I killed 5 large, adult, bed bugs within 5 minutes of being awake. Upon looking closer I found baby ones as well. Worst part?? When I killed them they were full of blood...my blood most likely.
I was in a group of 9 all traveling together and we booked it out of that infested place as fast as we could. There were 5 of us staying in one room and of those beds 3 found live bedbugs crawling around in the morning and the other found signs of them in the mattresses.

The bedbug issue at this hostel is NOT in the past. It is most definitely an on going issue that they have not dealt with properly thereby putting everybody who does stay there at risk of picking them up and passing them along.

The one good thing was that when we wanted to leave that morning (instead of staying another 2 nights like we were planning) they willingly gave us our money back with no questions asked after we mentioned bedbugs.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Dana F
Palermo, Italy
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Although small, this hostel is perfect for me, as it would be for any lone traveler who wants to have all the comforts of a hotel while still experiencing the warmth of a family.

Room Tip: Don't worry about sharing a room with other people, it is a great chance to make friends from al...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Zoro_Gallade
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I would definetly stay in Cherry Hostel again if I ever come back to Rome! The place is very clean...the thing about the bed bugs you´ll read below is definetly from the past. The lady spends all day long cleaning bathrooms, and vacumming the bedrooms. The breackfast is great! The location couldn´t be better! About the staff, I can only say that if you are friendly, people will be friendly. I myself got really attached to the Bulgarian couple that takes care of things there! We shared meals and beers! My stay was perfect, and I can´t complain about nothing!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Luciana8503
Paris
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Do NOT stay here!!!! They try to charge you a hostel tax fee, which does NOT exist in Rome for HOSTELS! It exists for Bed and Breakfasts, campsites, nicer hotels, but NOT for hostels! They will charge you 2 more euros every night for every person who stays there. Which is clearly a scam! There are three hostels like this and they are all run by the same people, and chances are you could be relocated to them since they often overbook! Astro Hostel/ Sunny Guest House/ Cherry Hostel. Don't go!!!!

They WILL overbook, and if that is the case you will be sent to their other hostels Sunny Guest House (where I ended up staying because they overbooked) and Cherry Hostel. One night they even overbooked so much, a poor American guy had to sleep on the dirty couch in the common room, and they still wanted him to pay!

It was incredibly dirty, I came back to visit after I had checked out, and when they were checking in new people, and they still had not changed the sheets from when I stayed there. Makes you wonder if they have ever cleaned or changed the sheets!

Absolutely no hot or even warm water for your shower!

Horrible experience, worst hostel I have ever been to, even for the price (I have seen better hostels for cheaper in Rome).

Room Tip: Stay outside of Rome for better options.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo