“Dream come true to come here but prepare for crowds”
Review of Vatican

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Vatican
Ranked #345 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The volume of people especially in the Sistine Chapel actually ruins the experience of such a holy and prestigious place. It is way too touristy. I'm sure this will never change. It is worth the trip to at least cross off your bucket list. Whatever you do buy tickets in advance. I went with a private tour guide hired through RomeinLimo she was the best and there is no way I could have made it through such an enormous place without her.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'm not a very religious person but still went to check it out. The lines were incredible--never made it inside, some people waited 6-7 hrs. I didn't want to waste a day waiting in line but even if u don't make it inside, u can get great photos from outside and appreciate the grandeur of it all.
Still worth the visit to me!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Skip the lines, it is worth it otherwise be in lines for hours. Really enjoyed the tour guide and all the info provided. So much to see and the beauty of the various sections is really over whelming. A must see for a Rome visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Seeing all the people queueing made me wonder if there is a better way to visit Vatican city and to my "surprise" there is. Simply book your tickets online. The only problem we had, was to find the right entrance. For visiting the Vatican museum and Sistine chapel the entrance is on the "right" side of the Vatican city. Reserve enough time to get there and to wait for a bit (15 minutes). The museum is filled to the top with all different pieces of art, but after a short time (2 hours) you will be so overwhelmed that you could be easily dissapointed with the Sistine chapel. Be prepared for huge crowds. When leaving the Sistine chapel don't forget you can visit the St. Peter's and jumping the crowds once more.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jiri B
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Visited in the days after the Cannnonisations and was a lovely experience. There are so many museums and things to see that it cant all be done in one day. We opted for the tours which included The Sistine Chapel, St. Peters Basillica, Raphaels Rooms, gallery of the geographical maps, Raphaels rooms and more. It was great to be guided through these galleries but DO make sure you get a properly working headset or it does spoil the tour. It gets VERY crowded and with visitors from all over the world (including several countries where aparently good manners are punnishable by death lol!) It can be quite frustrating so bring water to drink in hot weather and stay patient. DRESS CODE can also ruin the trip for some people so do make sure you have your knees and shoulders covered. Hair can be ledt uncovered though. BEING PREPARED is a huge help and I would recommend pre-booking your entrance ticket (including queue jump) as there are thousands of people queueing for upto 4/5 hours on a daily basis.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

What an amazing site. The views are awesome. The history that surrounds this place is amazing. You will not be disappointed. We had a guide and were able to walk by a 2 block line and go right in. I recommend you buy tickets in advance and use a guild . Well worth it. Dress code no shorts and ladies need to cover shoulders.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank primmer777
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Along with my family, I was very excited to witnessed the magnificent architectural structure of the Vatican. The St. Peters Square area was extremely crowded that day as it was a beautiful day and for some people, a vacationing time. Because of this, we waited in the large line up to enter the St. Peter's Basilica for hours until we finally reached the beginning of the line by the gates to have your bagged checked, enter the building, etc. It wasn't until we got the front of the line did we see a sign warning visitors of the PROPER dress code that must be followed before entering the building. The dress code stated that pants and skirts MUST cover past your knees, and shoulders also must be covered. On this hot day, I was wearing shorts that did not pass my knees, and for that reason, they stopped me from moving any further and threw me out of the line, allowing my family to go on without me.

This really ruined my day and I missed out on an amazing rare opportunity, all because I didn't think that there would be a strict dress code at this historical building. The warning of a dress code at the very beginning of the line seems to be a problem for quite a few, on the same day there was a little girl maybe 7 or 8 after us who was turned around with a skirt on.

Nonetheless, as astounding as the architect and design was, the heavy crowds and restricting dress code that as tourists, we were simple unaware of, really ruined the overall experience.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family