“Terrible, but staff is nice”
Review of Mario de' Fiori 37

Mario de' Fiori 37
Ranked #23 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel is part of the Rome Luxury Suites chain which currently has two other properties in Rome. There is nothing luxurious about this place and neither of the two rooms we booked were suites. They were simply rooms with two (stained) chairs. The property is very run-down - holes in the sheets, mold in the bath/shower, chipped soap dish, a mini bar refrigerator that buzzed rather loudly, stained furniture, rusty screws. All of those things might slide if I'd thought I was going to a three star hotel. But Mario De' Fiori 37 advertises itself as a 5 star and it is far from that. One of our rooms had a bath/shower combo that was impossible to use without flooding the bathroom. The other room had a standing shower which also leaked water into the rest of the (large) bathroom which did have two nice sinks. Additionally, the drain cover in the shower did not stay in place and slid around. I don't know that it was dangerous, but it wasn't comforting. The very worst thing about this hotel is that the mattresses are terrible. I could feel the springs on my body and was totally uncomfortable. My husband's back hurt after one night in the bed.

I was so unhappy with the hotel that I asked to leave after the first night. Unfortunately, the manager did not let us out of our three night contract. To the hotel's credit, the staff was extremely nice in every way. They were receptive to my complaints and offered us apologies, and amenities in exchange for the problems. I appreciated their kindness, but I really just wanted to leave that place.

The location of Mario de' Fiori 37 is excellent, and it was one of the main reasons I booked there. That, and I thought it would be a really nice place. It wasn't only that the hotel was run down, but everything felt cheap. The bathroom amenities were all made in China, not nice Italian products. Again, this would be okay if I were paying 100 euro per night and staying in a three star hotel. I did have a lovely breakfast at the sister hotel, Baubino 181, which looks significantly nicer, but the location is not as good. And given the cheap amenities that the chain provides and what I experienced at Mario de' Fiori, I wouldn't stay there if you're looking for luxury.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Jevenpaz
RomeLuxurySuites, Direttore generale at Mario de' Fiori 37, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I was glad to hear that you spent such nice words on our staff - thank you.

I am sorry to hear about all your complaints.

None of our clients ever had such heated issues and this is why our hotel has such high rankings on Trip Advisor.

As I informed you we decided to adhere to our cancellation policy and that we would not to give you a refund as you had pointedly asked.

I am sorry to see you went ahead with your promise of a bad review after your requests were not met.

No hard feelings - If you decide to come back to Rome and try one of our other structures please let me know and I will personally see that your stay will be a successful one.

Alberto Moncada

There are newer reviews for Mario de' Fiori 37

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This small hotel, tugged away near the Piazza di Spagna, at Mario de Fiori is a gem. Superb, quiet location, well appointed, spotlessly clean rooms and generous size bathrooms, friendly and helpful personnel, knowledgeable and discerning concierge service. Wifi. Every room with a Nespresso machine and a large selection of pods. Breakfast at the nearby sister hotel Babuino, about 10 min walk. For the discriminating traveller who prefers small hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Loved my recent stay at Mario de Fiori 37. This little boutique hotel has it all - great location, great rooms and great friendly & helpful service.
The location - close to the Spanish Steps and just moments away from great shopping, all the major sites within walking distance and some great restaurants nearby (take one of the hotel's many recommendations).
The rooms - we stayed in a junior suite - are lovely. They are well appointed, have a great shower & separate bath, lovely bathroom supplies (the nicest ones of the trip) and the bathrobes and nespresso machine are a nice touch. My only complaint is the king size bed is actually two beds stuck together - seems to be a common issue in Italy..
Service was very helpful - organising taxis, tours and getting recommendations was done in a friendly and helpful way.
And.. The local booklet provided by the hotel owner is a little gem!
Highly recommended boutique hotel

Room Tip: The junior suites are great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelbyRosie
Reviewed 18 September 2013

A hidden secret. Perfect room and location. Good service with excellent english. The shower is fantastic and the bed is outstanding. Nothing bad to comment. The reception is closed in certain periods but it did not bother us at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PedroHallal
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed in this lovely apartment hotel for four nights. Location was perfect, one block from Spanish Steps, just 5 to 20 minutes walk from almost any sight. It felt like home as from the street you wouldn't notice it as a hotel, no signs - just a delicate glass door to a very small reception area. So felt a bit like local Roman just sneaking into a house. No other services in this hotel.
A sister hotel 5 minutes walk from here served a wonderful breakfast. Actually loved the short walk in the morning drowsy and awakening streets. Breakfast's variety was good for us. The quality of all ingredients was top class. Service perfect at the breakfast room - lovely and always so friendly and smiling lady kept everything tidy and took away all the little morning stress you might have sometimes with her loveliness.
Actually the bed in the room gave a bit of that morning stress as it was not as comfortable as it should have been. You felt the springs. Could have slept better. Another small gripe was the wifi which was not fast and also many times connection was weak to the wifi router.
The room was otherwise very nice though. Very comfy and classy decoration. Even the picture on the wall was charismatic. Aircon worked all right. The noise from the street was well isolated, though you can always hear something in Rome. Nespresso machine was complimentary and we used it on daily basis. Clean room. A lot of restaurants just on the nearby streets, and actually everywhere in this area.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

As everyone else has already said this hotel is in a great location and allows you to walk to all the main tourist sites. There's also lots of nice restaurants nearby. As for the hotel, the room was simple but very pleasant, the shower was amazing (especially after pounding the pavements for the day!) and overall we enjoyed our stay. Every member of staff we met was very friendly and check in and out took just a few minutes.

The only down side was that the walls are obviously really thin, we could hear the people in the next room and it sounded like a herd of elephants were staying in the room above us. Whilst we're not the type to lay in too late, we also weren't planning on waking at the crack of dawn as our fellow guests were, so we were awoken earlier than planned every morning. Not the end of the world but somewhat annoying.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I gotta to say this that I've been to many countries. And I would like to compliment that this is one of the best or should I say the best boutique hotel in the entire Europe.

Here comes the illustration: when I first landed in Roma from Barcelona, the airline lost my luggage. I was devastated. Really. Big time. I've no mood to shop, to do anything.

All this tearing pieces come to an end when I arrived at the hotel. I was greeted by the amiable, pretty and service oriented lady, named Miki. She shows us the room ard individually, with personal touch explaining to us the various features of the room.

Immediately, I told her that I lost my luggage. Without hesitation, she asked me for all the details for the missing luggage so she can follow up for me. And indeed she contacted umpteen times to the airport just to let me have a peace of mind for a couple of day till I leave.

Next, we asked for dinner recommendation. She's very specific, asking us what type of food do we prefer. For instance, if you want just fish or just meat, she will recommend different restaurant to us. Next she will call the restaurant and make reservation for us. It's the same when we want to visit the colosseum as well. She booked for us and passed the letter of confirmation to our room directly after we had our dinner.
Her service is simply superb.

Anyway, I would like to say that she's the reason why I felt better even though I've lost my luggage. In the end, she managed to locate my luggage. Next if you need any taxi services, she walked the extra mile just to get the taxi for us. One word for her, brilliant.

Just want to say that if you want to have a taste of the best service in Europe, you gotta book this hotel now. You will not regret at all.

For that, thank you MIKI from the bottom of my heart :)

• Stayed: August 2013