“Lovely find” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Lovely hotel, great location just steps from the Spanish steps, and a fraction of the price compared to hotels in this area. Friendly staff too and nice clean rooms. Sister hotel has a rooftop bar with a complimentary drink available.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here, staff is friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful and comfortable and clean except that the floor and carpet in our room was grimy and actually needed a very good clean. But for everything else I thought it was perfect, all you need after having spent a day in the hustle and bustle of Rome. Loved the Nespresso machine. Very nice touch. I slept really well and our mattress was really comfortable. We had a late flight and a tour and the concierge was nice enough to hold our luggage and on our return we were really sweaty of all the walking and they had a room available where we could have a shower and put on some fresh clothing before getting a taxi to go to the airport. I really appreciated this and we will never forget how they went out of their way to accommodate us. Really love this hotel and staff and will book with them again when in Rome.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sonja N
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We enjoyed staying at this hotel while in Rome. The room was excellent. Nice shower and comfortable bed. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Close to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. If you stay here you MUST eat at Babbette's Caffe - Ristorante. Family run and the best food in Rome! Would definitely return to this hotel if in Rome again.

Room Tip: We had a Suite and it was wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very cosy small hotel in the very center of Rome. I liked all: service, friendly and responsive staff, room design, location. We stayed in Suite room which was quite spacious (about 30 m) with nice decoration. Definetely come back this place my next visit to Rome.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel is part of the Rome Luxury Suites chain which currently has two other properties in Rome. There is nothing luxurious about this place and neither of the two rooms we booked were suites. They were simply rooms with two (stained) chairs. The property is very run-down - holes in the sheets, mold in the bath/shower, chipped soap dish, a mini bar refrigerator that buzzed rather loudly, stained furniture, rusty screws. All of those things might slide if I'd thought I was going to a three star hotel. But Mario De' Fiori 37 advertises itself as a 5 star and it is far from that. One of our rooms had a bath/shower combo that was impossible to use without flooding the bathroom. The other room had a standing shower which also leaked water into the rest of the (large) bathroom which did have two nice sinks. Additionally, the drain cover in the shower did not stay in place and slid around. I don't know that it was dangerous, but it wasn't comforting. The very worst thing about this hotel is that the mattresses are terrible. I could feel the springs on my body and was totally uncomfortable. My husband's back hurt after one night in the bed.

I was so unhappy with the hotel that I asked to leave after the first night. Unfortunately, the manager did not let us out of our three night contract. To the hotel's credit, the staff was extremely nice in every way. They were receptive to my complaints and offered us apologies, and amenities in exchange for the problems. I appreciated their kindness, but I really just wanted to leave that place.

The location of Mario de' Fiori 37 is excellent, and it was one of the main reasons I booked there. That, and I thought it would be a really nice place. It wasn't only that the hotel was run down, but everything felt cheap. The bathroom amenities were all made in China, not nice Italian products. Again, this would be okay if I were paying 100 euro per night and staying in a three star hotel. I did have a lovely breakfast at the sister hotel, Baubino 181, which looks significantly nicer, but the location is not as good. And given the cheap amenities that the chain provides and what I experienced at Mario de' Fiori, I wouldn't stay there if you're looking for luxury.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jevenpaz
RomeLuxurySuites, Direttore generale at Mario de' Fiori 37, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I was glad to hear that you spent such nice words on our staff - thank you.

I am sorry to hear about all your complaints.

None of our clients ever had such heated issues and this is why our hotel has such high rankings on Trip Advisor.

As I informed you we decided to adhere to our cancellation policy and that we would not to give you a refund as you had pointedly asked.

I am sorry to see you went ahead with your promise of a bad review after your requests were not met.

No hard feelings - If you decide to come back to Rome and try one of our other structures please let me know and I will personally see that your stay will be a successful one.

Alberto Moncada
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This small hotel, tugged away near the Piazza di Spagna, at Mario de Fiori is a gem. Superb, quiet location, well appointed, spotlessly clean rooms and generous size bathrooms, friendly and helpful personnel, knowledgeable and discerning concierge service. Wifi. Every room with a Nespresso machine and a large selection of pods. Breakfast at the nearby sister hotel Babuino, about 10 min walk. For the discriminating traveller who prefers small hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Loved my recent stay at Mario de Fiori 37. This little boutique hotel has it all - great location, great rooms and great friendly & helpful service.
The location - close to the Spanish Steps and just moments away from great shopping, all the major sites within walking distance and some great restaurants nearby (take one of the hotel's many recommendations).
The rooms - we stayed in a junior suite - are lovely. They are well appointed, have a great shower & separate bath, lovely bathroom supplies (the nicest ones of the trip) and the bathrobes and nespresso machine are a nice touch. My only complaint is the king size bed is actually two beds stuck together - seems to be a common issue in Italy..
Service was very helpful - organising taxis, tours and getting recommendations was done in a friendly and helpful way.
And.. The local booklet provided by the hotel owner is a little gem!
Highly recommended boutique hotel

Room Tip: The junior suites are great!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple