“one of our first meals in rome, nice experience”
Review of Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
Ranked #100 of 12,362 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$56 - US$79
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Description: On the romantic corner of Via di Ripetta, at the heart of the Eternal City, Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome is the ideal place to enjoy pleasant moments of relaxation complemented by the traditional tastes and ancient aromas of Roman and Mediterranean cuisine. An intimate dining destination for all seasons, you can expect a warm greeting at Ad Hoc restaurant in Rome before taking your seat to enjoy high quality cuisine, skilfully prepared with the freshest fish, meat and seasonal game. Truffle all the year with a dedicated menu. Chef Marco Casentini insists on taking no shortcuts with the quality of his ingredients, and the chef's passion for the light cuisine he prepares makes him confident that each dish is worth the wait. Ad Hoc restaurant is also proud of its wine cellar. Compiled from continuous and careful research into the best labels, the wine list showcases 800 wines .
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“one of our first meals in rome, nice experience”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We had a very overall nice experience at Ad Hoc in one of our first meals in Rome. We had the Roman tasting menu with wine pairing at euro 89 per person. The pumpkin flower was quite good but the phylo wrap was a little dry. The 3 pastas tasted similar but decent. The main meat dish osso buco was tasty but the beef brisket was a bit dry and bland. The desserts were good but not memorable. The wines were nice; the wait staff was very pleasant to us. The Roman meal at every good restaurant takes about 3-4 hours everywhere, it is not US restaurant where you eat in 1/2 hours and leave in under 1 hours. It is not McDonald’s, we had a leisurely meal and a quintessential Roman experience which is what we were looking for and enjoyed. Although we enjoyed our meal we did not return during our 11 day stay in Rome. I would recommend it as a nice Roman experience.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
paris
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I reserved a table for 3 about a month before my trip to Rome because of the rave reviews on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to report back with an extremely negative review and I hope that I'm the only one who experienced this:

We arrived on time and was greeted by a lovely waitress and we told them who we were. It took them a rather long time to search for my reservation and seated us at the worst table possible in the entire restaurant - right beside a serving counter where all the dirty dishes were. We were looking at the back the entire night!! This became a major problem when we wanted to ask for the bill and in general got forgotten the whole night.

1) We were in clear view of all the dirty dishes, the chaos, the drama and the waitress talk - all of which should be kept behind the scenes and not shown to us.
2) The time difference between us finishing our course and the next course took more than 30 minutes. When we finished a course, the dishes were also cleared about 20-30 minutes later, so we spent most of the time looking at time, trying to get their attention, waiting for them to clear our dishes, while they zoomed in and out of their counter oblivious to our increasing impatience.
3) I honestly felt that they could have given us a better table since I reserved a month to 2 in advance??

The service and the waiting made the entire experience really miserable. It was such a nightmare trying to get their attention that we asked for the bill at the same time when we reminded them that we had a dessert that was not yet served. It is a pity that the lack of service has to ruin the chef's effort because the food there is pretty good but without the appropriate staff and amount of manpower, the restaurant just ruins the entire experience. I don't require the staff to smile and be exceptionally friendly, but the waiting and the inattentiveness really bothers me.

I hope that the management will solve this and perhaps try not to seat anyone near the counter.

5 Thank huhy
New York
“Shocked by the great reviews”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I made reservations at Ad Hoc based on the Trip Advisor reviews. I'm assuming we were there on an 'off' night, because it was an awful experience.

First, they could not find my reservation. I had to go through my emails for 20 minutes before they 'found' our table.

More importantly, though, the food was disgusting! We literally left most of it on the plates. Mu husband had the "Land and Sea" tasting menu and I had the "Roman Style" tasting menu, both with wine pairings. I had such high expectations, but the food looked and tasted like over-salted, previously frozen left overs. My meat course was supposed to be Ham Roulades, but all I remember to this day are dried out discs of mystery meat on my plate.

The best part of the meal was the wine, but the food certainly wasn't worth the effort.

• Visited December 2011
6 Thank Jamie P
Ajijic, Mexico
“A wonderful taste of Rome”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We were only in Rome for 5 nights and wanted to have a special dinner with wonderful wine. This was itl. We will do it again on our next trip. Fantastic.

I had the seafood sampler and my friend had the Rome cuisine sampler. We were not disappointed.

Book well in advance, which can be done online.

Ireland
“A real treat!!”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Really liked this restaurant, we chose the land and sea menu wine, food was excellent and the wine paired with each dish was perfect. The only niggle we had was we arrived 15 minutes before our booking, thinking we could have a glass of wine before dinner, to find that it was still closed and they would not let us in... a real shame, it was a very cold night in February and Rome still had snow on the ground.

I'm really looking forward to returning to Ad Hoc, but will stop on our way for our glass of wine :-)

• Visited February 2012