“Good budget rooms and location”
Review of Hotel Meraviglia

Hotel Meraviglia
Ranked #828 of 3,692 Rome B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Good budget rooms and location”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is in a very handy location, right near Termini station and less than 15mins to the Colosseum. But it was a little surprising to see that it was in a terrace house above a row of shops- the neighbourhood isn't the nicest, but not unsafe. The reception isn't staffed all the time, so we had to wait about half and hour before we could get let in the building. A part from that, the rooms are actually very nice, really clean and modern and quiet. The staff were helpful enough when we needed them and the location was brilliant, we were able to walk to all the of major attractions or jump on the tube - there is a tube stop on the same street too.

Overall we felt that this was a good place to stay, really accessible, good price and clean comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure they know what time you're coming and planning on leaving, so that there will be someo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had 2 nights here in June.
The hotel is about a 10/15 minute walk from the Termini station, now I'm a well travelled person and used to staying in all sorts of places, but even I had to admit that I didn't like the area that the hotel was in, and if I was travelling alone or with only women I would feel quite uncomfortable walking around the area. Which was a shame as the Hotel is very sweet.
It is on the 1st floor but there is a lift provided. We couldn't get into the main building when we arrived and we buzzed and buzzed but no one answered so I called the hotel and the lady said someone would be there in 15 minutes. True to their word a lovely chap called Domenico came and let us in, he showed us our little room and we settled the bill before our stay, as the hotel is usually unmanned. He was so friendly and helpful, gave us a great map and marked where we should go, he even sang us a song!
The room was very small but clean, the bathroom again was compact but had everything we needed, and I couldn't say anything was dirty! A little dated perhaps but the cleanliness was great. Our bed was a little creaky but surprisingly comfortable.
We didn't use the maid service, they knocked and offered but we didn't feel we needed it as we only stayed 2 nights, they did change the towels for us though.
The metro station is only 2 minutes up the road which is great, although we usually walked everywhere we needed to be.
It's a shame about the area as this is a great little hotel, when I next come to Rome I will probably stay in a different area, but I would reccommend this place on the whole!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here during our visit to Rome. I had stayed here once previously and thought it is the best you can get for that price. I still stand by that.
The area is not great. It's quite dirty and shabby. There were times I didn't quite feel safe, but I knew that it would be ok.
The metro is really close, less than a 2 minute walk. Termini is close too. That's why there are so many vagrants.
There is a good little cafe down the block in front of the steps down to the metro and the make some good pastries.
The hotel itself is only 6 rooms. When we arrived we were in room 3 which is huge and faces the street. The bed was very comfy.
We were moved into room 6 which is across the hall and faces the courtyard and it quiet but the bed sucked! It was very loud and uncomfortable.
I never had any issues with other guests making noise, even though I presume the walls are thin because you can hear people come into the hallway.
The front desk is usually not manned, which isn't really an issue for me.
The beds and towels are cleaned and made each day and the showers and bathrooms work great.
There is no safe, which is a bummer but there are good locks on all the doors.

The original gelato place is about 200m away and there is a supermarket maybe 400m away.
Walks to the colosseum are easy and to get anywhere else the metro works well.

If you are looking for luxury and something really nice, this isn't it. If you are just looking for a place to sleep, this is a good bet for the price.
I wouldn't suggest single women visiting or even pairs only because of the neighbourhood but I think that it would be safe for most people.
Enjoy!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

we stayed for three nights and it was like our home... it was very comfortable, the room was big and very clean. the staff was really friendly, they asked us everyday if there is anything they can do or we need anything. it's very close to the metro station (linea A-P.zza Vittorio Emanule). and you can walk to the colosseo in 15 min. only problem might be the neighbourhood... it's not the best. we didn't feel that safe when we're turning back in the night. but its so close to the metro so we didn't care that much.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Greystones, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2013

To start, I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights with more 3 people (mom, dad and brother).
The hotel is located about 15 minutes walking to the Colesseo, what is great! Is also 15 minutes walking from the main train station Rome Termini.
About the building... it doesn't have the best look from outside. Is an old building with a small elevator (but is in the first floor, so is ok to take the stairs).
I think the reception works from 9am to 5pm, Veronica is a very lovely woman. She gave us a very useful map and showed how to reach all the touristic points and indicated a very good restaurant near the hotel. She doesn't have a fluent english but I had no problem with that.
I read in other reviews that there was some ''strange people'' in he area, but I actually in the 3 days I stayed there i just saw one homeless woman but she wasn't even asking for money. There is in fact lots of shops around and lots of street sellers.
The rooms are of a good size for 4. The bed are ok, but nothing very comfy, just ok. The sheets and towels are clean, the shower is very good as well. There is a tv with lots of channels and a hairdryer in the room.
The internet signal is really good, no bother with that.

Finally, the place is good. No luxury at all, so you pay what you get you know?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria_Barb0sa
Kavála, Kavala, Greece
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed there for 5 nights with my mother!!
The only difference with a hotel is that it doesn't have a 24h reception but every morning Veronica was there to clean up the rooms, change towels and give information about everything we needed...
It is very close to the Metro station and in front of a very beautiful park in which you see the everyday life of Italians.
The location is as any other area around a train station in the world, friendly immigrants, 3-4 homeless guys, nothing to be afraid of at all. By the park (piazza Vittorio) is a pavilion-cafe which serves amazing cappuccino at just 1.30euro and brioche at 1.00euro (the cheapest found in Rome)
I expected it worse when i made the booking and i was happily surprised. (whoever wants the "Plaza", pays for the "Plaza")
I would totally stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Saint Louis
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This is NOT a hotel! This is an office building that they converted some office space on the 1st floor into rooms. There is no concierge, and I had to call the number for someone to come over and open the door of the building for me to enter. The homeless guy who sleeps in front of the door kept me company for the 10 minutes I waited. She checked me in and left for her other job. Gave me the key of the building, the key to the "office space"/hotel and the key to the room and promised someone would come clean it the next morning.

Room Tip: There is a homeless man that calls the Meraviglia door as home. Doesn't look safe at night at al...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family