“This hotel blackmail us for money”

Bed Breakfast and Cappuccino - Kosher B&B Roma
Ranked #824 of 3,721 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Hi,
I would like to write in details what had happen during our stay in Rome with my wife.
We have booked this 'hotel', its only plus is that the location is good - near to metrostop, and here our problems have started, even in European Union, even in 21st century.
On leaving we are paying for our stay and we have asked they to print for us our tickets, For some reason they have asked both of our ID documents, but in the bustle during that moment Yardenia return to us everything, but except my ID document (our embassy in Rome was so kind to explain to us that in such situation the person of the hotel is responsible for returning our documents, because according to the law it is her obligation). Me and my wife went back to Milano where we had realized that out ID Document is still there and we have been living on the next day lunch time.
She had called the manager Vikas and he told her the following: Oh that's too bad but I have one solution for you I will send you person to bring your documents and you will give him 200 E?!? There hasn't been 23 calls and searching for a person. After couple of calls to our embassy we had been without choice and we have accepted.
On the next day we are going to Milano Centrale to search for this person Enrico. The person who came was not able to tell you even 1 sentence in English, but he new perfectly to pronounce the words: five hundred (500), 200, 300, more money, no document, no home. He said: 200 train, 300 for servizo. In us we had only round 300. He refused to give us our documents and he told many times no home. He was even telling more money more money. He called Vikas and Vikas told to my wife the following: 'Give him all the money that he wants of you will not get your documents'. I have asked him for the train tickets but he refused to show them to us.
We had only 300, my wife was crying Vikas took our wallets, check them, took all the money directly from the wallets and in the end give us our ID card for 300 E and several coins (we almost missed our flight because we hadn't had money left for the toll taxes 4 euro).
Once he gave our documents we told him we are calling the police, he started to run as fast as never. His problem was that during the whole time he was next to security camera. We have went to the police office on the Milano centrale, there they have started to search for him, and they have told us what has happen is illegal. The regular legal practice in that situation is the following: The person from Rome bring the documents to the train station to the police there, the police is sending them with the first train, and then the person is receiving them on the other train station and this is absolutely free action and it is done only by policeman, no person is coming and asking for money this is illegal blackmail.
There are two questions here: how is is happen that they accidentally forgot to return our document, they had offered us someone to bring our documents for money immediately, and that person was not speaking English at all but he knew perfectly 500, 400, 300, more money, no home. And also since they have been aware about the ordinary practice how to bring our documents why they haven't just sent to us our documents. Also 200 E for train, isnt that 1st class in the most expensive train in the world where this person was drinking champagne?
So our advice is go to this hotel on your own risk, probably you will manage better when they took your documents and you are not able to go home.

10  Thank Lian S

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed for 3 nights here. The location is great, 30 second walk from the metro. Yardena was there to greet us and very helpful. She speaks Italian and Hebrew, and she can understand written english. Speaking english is not the best but I was able to communicate fine. We enjoyed the stay and room was nice. Yardena even went and bought us whole wheat bread for the morning as my husband cannot have dairy. Great apricot juice and nice espresso or cappuccino. She helped us with transportation, grocery store, and the sights. She let us know about the 3 day, 11 euro transport ticket good for all buses and metro. We took the train to the cruiseport and it was not too complicated. Yardena also told us to go to a local place to get the tickets ahead of time and it was very reasonable price. Thank you Yardena for helping us in Rome and making our stay very enjoyable. This is a good location as the metro takes you close to all the sights. If you want a 5 star hotel, then stay at a 5 star hotel, if you want a good price and comfortable stay, then stay here.

1  Thank Musicfan61
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I was looking for reasonably priced accommodations in Rome and came across this B&B. It seemed a bit out of the way of all the major attractions, but the price was right and they were very responsive and friendly.

The B&B is only steps away from the Bologna metro stop. It was very easy to get to. We stayed there for 4 nights and found it convenient enough to get where ever we wanted to go. We were met by Yardena who helped us with our suitcases. She is a very friendly lady. She provided a map of Rome and directions to local restaurants, grocery stores, as well as to all Rome attractions. She definitely knows her way around the city. There is a grocery store right next to the B&B. There is a kosher restaurant directly across the street. Bus 62 end of the line is at Piazza Bologna and between this bus and the metro we were able to get everywhere. The beds were comfortable enough, the room has A/C and even though it seems like it's on a relatively busy street, we weren't bothered by any noise.

We were very happy with B&B Cappuccino. If there is any negative aspect, it's the breakfast part. The breakfast consists of coffee (or cappuccino) or tea, juice and 3 individually wrapped pieces of store bought pastry. However, it was enough to get us started and we were OK with that. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared bath. Ours had a private one.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This B&B is great! It's cute, clean, affordable, and in a good neighborhood. It's a little far from the big sites, but it's right around the corner from a subway stop so you can get to everything in minutes! We stayed in a more centrally-located hotel during our second trip to Rome, but we found it more convenient to get around from B&B cappuccino because of the proximity to the metro.

Our host, Yardena, was amazing! She gave us advice on where to go, what to eat, and how to get around. And get this- the adapter for my curling iron broke and she offered to pick one up for me at the store near her house that would work with the italian plug outlets- Wow! That exceeded my expectations.

We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

To begin with, I had high expectations of this place based on earlier reviews. They didn't let me down. A week before my departure, I contacted them about limo service from FCO to the B&B. It was set up easily and quickly...and the price was reasonable. They told me that I would be met by Enrico and gave a detailed description of him, as well as a phone number in case. He met us and the trip began. He was extremely courteous and very helpful. At the hotel we were met by Yardena...she is more than helpful.
The room was large, especially by Italian standards. It was clean and had a decent size bathroom. The bed...? Well, I'd say one of the best I ever slept on. It was very comfortable.
The room itself is somewhat austere...but, who cares? I'm not living there. There were over 200 channels to choose from on the TV...fortunately, I speak Italian so no difficulty here.
For an urban area (not only Rome, but near the University) I was pleasantly surprised at how serene the night was. No noise.
I would definitely recommend this place. It's location is great. All you need to do is take the metro (the B train, switch in Termini to the A) and you're in the center of it all.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We have went in this B&B for our honeymoon 2 weeks ago, and we are more than shocked.
They took our ID documents, didn't return one of them to us and then blackmail us for 500 E if we want it back.
That happen on our last weekend in Italy, we were not able to go home without our documents and from the hotel they have send person to give them back to us and to get 500 E from us for them.
Because we didn't had that money, we called the manager of the hotel and the manager of the hotel has confirmed that if we do not give him all the money they will not return to us the documents.
The police in Italy is informed about the case. We are now informing the police in our country also.
This is probably regular practice of this B&B! Don't go there, in the end the price for you will be more than to pay for 5* hotel in Rome!

2  Thank Diana_travel_allover
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

With the present statement I deny all what it has been written about us. Instead of thanking us they have written a sort of lies against us that I may prove with sincere honesty.

I explain what has happened in the short terms:

They have lelt the hotel and forgot to collect their documents. They have called us on Saturday night at 10 p.m. begging us to send them the documents from Rome to Milan (500 km) urgently and no later than 11 a.m of Sunday, as they had to leave Italy at 1 p.m. by air.

I have understood the problem and I have make 23 calls praying someone willing to take a train at 6 a.m. (of Sunday) to travel from Rome to Milan.

Considering that was late night of Saturday we have agreed with the client that they would have paid the train ticket return to the man at € 180,00 plus his day work at € 120,00. Total € 300,00.
We didn't take any money for us! We have made only a pleasure to the client and this is their answer...

I may say that what it has been said written on our Hotel is only a shame and lies. Our Hotel is well known as being the best hotel in quality and courtesy. I am sure that no other Hotel would have run for such an adventure for no profit.
It is true that it is better not to make favors...

I am willing to clarify our position in any place and demonstrate that what we are saying is true.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

At B&B Cappuccino we had the best stay during our Italy trip. Yardena was such a great host - she accommodated our early check in request. She gave us helpful maps, answered all our questions, and was always available. Breakfast was huge and yummy, and the cappuccino was delicious. Our room - spacious, airy and bright. Perfect for our two night stay in Roma. There was an all day metro strike on the day we were leaving, but since we were steps away from Tiburtina, we found a trenitalia express train straight to the airport from Tiburtina. Also, the location was right next to the Bologna bus stop from where there is a frequent bus that stops at Colosseo and at Vatican. We just bought a metro day pass and rode the bus (and sometimes the train) to all the must-see spots.We paid 80 euros for our double room and we had such a wonderful stay with great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple