“Everything about the restaurant was very good”
Review of Zhong Yi

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trevi
Reviewed 27 July 2013

2 of us, whilst on holiday in Rome went here.
All the food was really tasty and of a high quality.
The service was good and friendly - Chinese staff speaking English in Italy exceeded my expectations! Dishes were served quick too. I can't compliment this place enough. I also noticed that other Chinese people ate there - in Newcastle's Chinatown that is a sign that the food is of a good quality. I'll definitely go back should I be in Rome again.

Only slight negative was the tables were a bit wobbly because of the cobbled road outside.

We paid...
8.50 each for set meals
soup & spring rolls were our starters (seperate dishes)
Lemon chicken & Beef with bamboo and mushrooms & 2 different fried rice dishes too.
we paid extra for chips.
Bottle of prosecco was £10.50, a 66cl bottle of Chinese lager & a 1.5L of coke.
all food and drinks came to app.40 Euros. considering back home you'd pay £30 for a bottle of Prosecco alone!

1  Thank lee s

Reviewed 17 June 2013

After many Italian meals for a few days in Italy, we went to Trevi Fountain at Rome and decided to check out some Chinese food nearby and boy it was a mistake going to this restaurant. We saw a big sign by the fountain about this place for just making a right turn and only 30 meter walk. The restaurant looked ok from the outside and we walked in there found no customers inside and we should have known better. My wife was tired from all day sightseeing and walking so we wanted to sit down and give this restaurant a try. We ordered 3 dinner dishes (Mou Pou Tofu, Clay pot eggplant and Stir fried bean sprout with beef) and an order of steam rice for two of us. We also specifically told the waitress that we cannot eat spicy food and made sure the waitress understood that no spicy sauce nor ingredients on our order. When another waitress served our first dish which was the Mou Pou Tofu we saw the red pepper sauce was there in our Tofu dish. We told her we cannot take that spicy dish and she insisted that was just a little spicy as we ordered and didn't want to change it. So we called up the original waitress who took our order, then she brought it back to the kitchen to get it fixed with a new dish. The next dish came with the clay pot eggplant and again it was very spicy after we took a bite. We asked the waitress to bring it back to the kitchen again, and instead of making a new dish like what they did on the Tofu dish, they re-worked on the same eggplant dish and brought to serve us again. It was less spicy but it looked no longer a freshly cooked and it tasted lousy. See picture. Then it came with our steam rice that looked like left over from night before and it was not cold but not warm. Again see picture. They charged 3 Euro on that steam rice with no steam at all, and of course they charged sit down fee too.

This restaurant is the worst Chinese food we had in Italy in terms of quality of service and food they offered with bad attitude on attending to customer order. Don't go there.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Restaurant location is good. The service wasn't friendly. Food in good portion,cheap and not too oily. Just asked them to reduce the oil when order the menus. I like their fried banana dessert. Not the best Chinese restaurant I ever tried.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

My wife and I found this restaurant purely by chance on our last day of a recent trip to Rome. A pity really, as our experience was very good. Chinese restaurants in the centre of Rome are few and far between, so we were lucky to come across this one. The address is Piazza dell' Oratorio 50-50a.
I love Chinese food, and my wife being a Malaysian Chinese from Penang is a good judge of what is good Chinese food and what is not.
We had four dishes for lunch, three of which were good - spicy pork, aubergine in a clay pot and teppan noodles with seafood (on a hot plate). The fourth dish, lemon chicken, was okay without being good. Portions were medium-sized which allows us to have variety. Extensive menu and very reasonably priced for central Rome.
The inside of the restaurant was clean and the service friendly and prompt.
Would we go back there again? Yes, is the definite answer.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Piazza dell'Oratorio, near the Trevi fountain, has two restaurant: one is a large pizzeria with wood-burning oven that boasts a "we speak Russian" sign, the other is a modest looking Chinese establishment.
I decided against the Italian tourist trap and thought I'd have an exotic Chinese lunch for a change. The staff looked Chinese and so did two tables of customers, and the menu was in Chinese, Italian and English.
I sat at one of the rickety tables outside to make the most of the late October sun, and ordered.
My first course took a while to arrive and, I noticed, so did everyone else's: good, a sign that the food is prepared on order.
The huge bowl of Thai soup was perfect: fresh and tangy, with the right amount of spiciness, and it had two big sweet prawns in it. A bargain at EUR5.
I'd only started eating it when the crispy duck was put on my table; a few minutes later, the spicy prawns arrived. Never mind, I finished my wonderful soup, savouring every spoonful. By the time I got to the duck it was less than hot, but not cold either, so I decided to tuck in.
What a disappointment: it wasn't crispy at all - only some burnt bits of skin - and the fat was gooey.
Similarly, the spicy prawns weren't spicy, although there were some interesting flavours in the sauce. They were served whole, which made eating them with a fork and knife a bit of a challenge (no fingerbowls provided so I clearly wasn't expected to peel them with my fingers, although in China I wouldn't have hesitated!) On the plus side, like the ones in the soup they were big and succulent.
The overall bill came to EUR20 - including a large Tsing Tao beer, that's not bad for the area. The service was friendly. I'm just used to Chinese food of a much higher quality, even in Rome.
I might go back and just have the Thai soup...