“Best meal of my life!!!”
Review of La Cisterna - CLOSED

La Cisterna
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
“Best meal of my life!!!”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews because this was the best meal that I've ever eaten. I've been here twice and both times got the roasted rosemary lamb with potatoes. I think its a specialty of the house. My husband has cousins in Rome and they wanted to take us here so that really speaks to the quality of the food. The atmosphere was great and the old cistern in the basement is really worth a look.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MartyGa

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“From Favorite Restaurant to Major Disappointment”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I first dined at La Cisterna in 1988. I remember a hopping restaurant with great food, strolling musicians, and good service. I went back when in Italy for my honeymoon in 2000, and it still was very good. In August 2011 however, I went there with my family of 4 and was very disappointed with the food portions and prices. We paid a fortune for 4 entrees and 4 soft drinks. We arrived at 7:00 and were the first ones there. The strolling musician was indifferent about performing and got frustrated and stopped when a loud motorcycle zipped by. Although the pasta dishes my sons had were tasty, the portions were incredibly small for the price we paid. We litterally stopped for a few slices of pizza on the way home to top off our appetites! WIth tip we spent about $130 which was outrageous. The great salad/antipasta bar was gone, as was the charming musicians, the plentiful food and top-notch service. Maybe we just caught them on an off-night, I hope so because I truly love Rome and heretofore have always considered this my favorite restaurant in Italy. My visit in 2011 was a bad memory, but I will likely give them one more chance next time I am in town if for no better reason than because I am so nostalgic. We did go down the cellar to see the cistern which was very interesting and probably the highlight of the expensive experience. Please get your act together La Cisterna, Rome might be eternal but your eatery is not.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Edward M
Dublin, Ireland
“breathtaking”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

busy with queues but well worth the wait. A once in a life time experience

Visited February 2012
Rosario
“Incredible evening!”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We were staying just in the same block where this restaurant is located. Everyday we passed by till one evening we decided to sit in a table outside in the street. A very fiendly young man Maximo invited us to visit the underground level where the Famous well is. This man told us losts of stories about the peolple that used to go there in other times. Very impressive and funny. The only thing I regret is that there was a table with several glasses of champagne but we were offered none! The rest of the dinner was great, with the company of another two men that played the guitar beautifully especially the older one and they sang typical roman songs! Absolutely charming!

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank silbeRosario
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“La Cisterna is one of the most interesting restaurants in Rome”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Visited the family-run La Cisterna in Trastevere, Rome in July 2011 to celebrate hubby's birthday with family. We had been a few times before and had always taken other people there for its typically Roman food and fantastic historical interest. After dinner one of the original family will take you downstairs to see the medieval underground Well (cisterna) and tell you the history of the building, which is fascinating. The Nazis took over the restaurant during the war and when it's lit you can see evidence of the swastika in the Well. Ava Gardner once danced there with Frank Sinatra. The underground cavern was once the main restaurant at street level but when the Tiber overflowed the building flooded and so the 'new' restaurant was built on top. In the summer you can dine outside and be serenaded by the house quartet (family members of course). Trastevere in itself is a lovely part of Rome to visit and having La Cisterna there is icing on the cake.

• Visited July 2011