“A nice an quiet place well connected by public transport”

Residence Lodi Rome
Ranked #706 of 1,133 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We visited Rome over a weekend in November as a large group of friends(10+).

The lady at the desk was quite helpful and a small tip ensured that the hotel manager was available well past midnight to help us with the check-in. The rooms were big and had all the basic necessities. The rooms were neat and tidy but the last renovations must have been quite a while ago. The "hotel" is basically four separate buildings at a stone's throw from each other.

There was no intercom to talk to our friends in other rooms. Internet(WiFi) was charged at 1.5 Euros an hour. The tram/bus stop was a two minute walk and the nearest ATM was 10 minutes away. Parking could be a problem if you arrive with your own car.

Room Tip: Some rooms had a couch but most didn't
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dhruv T
There are newer reviews for Residence Lodi Rome

Reviewed 9 June 2011

We, like another reviewer here, booked this and researched thinking it was the 'Hotel Lodi'. We didn't realize our mistake until being dropped off from the airport, but it was the most fortunate mistake. The room we had was pretty spacious with the kitchette, bedroom and bath, and very comfortable, if plain. The local market was a short walk and we stocked the fridge, bought wine, ate at a really good, and cheap, restaurant/bistro kitty-corner from the residence. It was like actually living there for a week. It's a short walk to the trolleys that take you to the termini, which goes everywhere you want to go, and the neighbourhood, while looking rough by western standards, is a delight, and if you go to the aformentioned bistro in the evening, it is packed with the locals - mostly couples out for an evening meal. Linda was wonderful, and helpful, and the map she gave us, along with instructions of which trolley to take, was more than enough to get us around. This may be more of an adventure than some people want, but we had a fabulous time, and part of that was the experience of being a real neighbouhood with the people and flavour that is really Rome. We rate this as our best travel experience so far. By the way, the Roman people are lovely and were really helpful and friendly - the market was a prime example. If you like to really feel a place, this is it. And there was nothing like making your own coffee in the morning, or coming home from a long day out and making a sandwich in your own kitchen. We loved it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank janett1957
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Our room was on ground floor at back and had 3 single beds, plus small kitchen (sparcely equipped but who wants to cook in Rome?) and bathroom. All spotlessly clean with good air-conditioning, but we did get wakened in morning with neighbours leaving and slamming door. Linda was very helpful and friendly. Although hotel is a bit far out from city centre, we used the tram every day, which stopped at the end of the street every few minutes and reached the Termini in about 10 minutes for 1 euro. Only downside was when we first arrived at 11pm, reception was closed. We had sent an e mail to say we would be arriving late. We spoke on the intercom and said we had a reservation and were told we should go to register at the Hotel Centre. We were 2 women on our own and had no idea where the Via Giolitti was or how to get there. Linda eventually came down and let us into our room. This is not a satisfactory situation, so beware if you are travelling by Ryanair and arriving after 8pm. Otherwise we were happy with the accommodation and would return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travelaholic64
Reviewed 20 August 2010

The prior postings were very helpful, although some unduly harsh in expecting to get more than what you pay for. Cleanliness was accurately depicted by all and influenced our decision. The room was basic and the kitchen supplies sparse. The twin beds were more like cots. Pushing them together gave you a better sense of security from falling out.

To the extent possible the staff were friendly and helpful. Linda was leaving for vacation the day after our arrival so we had limited interaction with staff.

From a location standpoint, it is conveniently located close to Prenestina (a 5 minute walk to regular tram/bus service) which takes you to Termini in about 10-15 minutes and from there you can go anywhere in Italy fairly easily. In the opposite dfirection across the street and very closeby (1 Min) is a wonderful local cafe Necci which served great snacks with each drink between 7 and 9 pm. They also opened around 8 in the morning and espresso/capuccion was under $2. Between 7 & 9 for 20 E dollars you could drink and eat enough for the night even with large appetites for both.

The site will become even more convenient in the future when the addition of a new metro line (subway) will be 5 minutes away is built.

We like to walk and on our first night we walked to St. Johns of Latreno (one of the 4 big RC churches) and another 10-15 mins we could have walked to the Coliseum.

The price is indicative of it not being luxury accomodations and if you insist upon a comfy bed this is not the place for you. If you embrace your stay with a sense of adventure, accept a little inconvenience or are smallish singles It is a wonderful facility.

As a location for a first visit, it very much suited our needs and I would have no problem returning, but having had an extended stay in Rome and a few days in the Tuscany area would be more inclined to short stays in numerous locations.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We booked a really cheap trip through Air Canada the week of 15 Sept 2009. We had checked the hotel before booking, as we always do. Unfortunately I had checked the "Lodi Hotel" instead of the "Residence Lodi" First one had great reviews so we booked. We realized the error in name after booking and when we read the reviews we were not very impressed. Having returned last week, I will tell you for the price we paid, we were quite comfortable with the place. It was very clean and comfortable, if somewhat basic.

We took a cab from Termini to the hotel. It is a bit out of the way but not as far as the other reviews made it sound as it is located near Porta Maggiore just ouside the Aurelain Walls. The lady who runs the place, Linda, greeted us upon arrival. We did not really see her the rest of the visit so this is not a pace to stay if you want the concierge for information, etc. She did give us a map to the city and tram information to get around. The room was absolutely immaculate and I have had rooms not as well cleaned at major hotel chains like the Ramada. The towels were thin but how much do you need to dry off after a shower? We had one housekeeping visit where we got clean towels and the garbage was emptied. It was a bit loud at times but we kept the windows closed and used the AC so it way not a major problem. We only had to walk to the end of the street and take Tram 5 or 14 and we were at Termini in about 10 minutes.

We noticed some comments about the street and a rough neighbourhood. If it is your first time to Rome, you may find it looks really bad. However, I lived in Rome for a year in my youth and this is a typical street for the area. Residence are taxed on how the outside of their homes look so yes, you do get the stucco structures in need of paint. Yes there was garbage in the street but there is all over Rome. Some of the structures actually appear to be former minor palaces that have been turned into apartments. There is a horrible building with a tin roof, appears to be some sort of garage, which is right across from the hotel which certainly does not lend to the ambiance of the street. IF it is your first visit to Rome and you need assistance from such services as a concierge, this is NOT the hotel for you. If you have the romantic notion of wandering around Rome and seeing all the sites, well this is another site - the reality of Rome when you go off the beaten path. If you buy the guide books and are willing to be a bit adventurous, this is one heck of a deal - our trip was CDN$700 each before taxes, for flight and hotel.

My basic advise is based on being familiar with Rome and not being afraid to stay off the beaten path. All the people we saw on the street were residence and at no point did we feel unsafe. Welcome to the real Rome, beyond all the usual tourist areas. If you do your homework you can really save money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BepLep
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I booked my stay at Residence Lodi about a week before any other reviews had been posted. After reading the reviews that were posted between booking and my actual travel dates I was a bit more than worried about what I was going to find.

I was pleasantly surprised when I actually arrived at the Residence. Contrary to what other reviewers experienced the business office at 45 Lodi was open and staff were present when I arrived. From what I was able to discern there are two ladies who deal with everything from front desk duties to changing sheets, Linda speaks quite a bit of english and the other (whose name I never did get) doesn't. I found Linda to be incredible helpful, not only at check-in but throughout my stay and at check-out. She provided me with a tourist map of Rome, a small card that had her cell phone number, the residence address and a smaller map of how to get to the residence and showed me how to get a hold of her through the residence intercom system. She also explained where the closest supermarket, fruit stand, pay phone were and what buses came into the area. Service way beyond what I had expected from the previous reviews.

Residence Lodi has rooms in 3 different buildings 35, 47 and 62. The picture that is in most of the advertising is of 62, the other two look to be a bit older and in a bit rougher shape. My room (946 in Lodi 47) was small, very clean and comfortable. Even though it was at the back of the courtyard it was very possible to hear the street noise when the windows were open - but very quiet with the windows closed. Of greater concern was the noise from the other residents coming from the courtyard. It took me a couple of days but I realized that if I closed the curtains and the bedroom door it reduced the noise from the building quite a bit. My travel agent had prepared me by letting me know that there was only maid service once a week. I arrived on a Wednesday and staff brought me new towels, and took the garbage away on Monday. After reading one of the previous reviews I brought my own towels (and dishsoap) and YES the towels are thin, but surprisingly absorbant! It was so hot while I was in Rome I was showering twice a day and I actually ended up preferring the hotel towels. I stayed 7 nights and only saw 4 bugs the entire time - 2 mosquitoes and 2 small spiders. The kitchenette is a two burner cooktop, a bar fridge and a sink and is sparcely equipped, mine had plates, bowls, cups, glasses, cutlery, a colander, a pot and a frying pan. I bought a cooking knife and a corkscrew and left them there, so you might find them too. If you are cooking I found that the grocery stores in the Termini were convenient and had pretty wll everything in one place. NECCI 1924 is the little restaurant on the corner of Via Pigneto and Via Fanfulla - great food and helpful staff. I didn't bring my computer so I don't know if the WiFI worked, but the TV and Air Conditioner did.

Pigneto may be up and coming but it is fairly distant from the touristy areas of Rome. I walked pretty well every where and figure I was averaging 15-20 kms a day. I never took a bus or metro, but I took taxis back to the residence twice, both times it was 13Euros from the Statzione Termini. Watch for taxi drivers - I had one who wanted to charge me 50Euros to drive me the 3kms from the Coliseum to Residence Lodi because it was "outside of the walls" (I walked). If you are walking you'll see a lot of garbage and litter, and more than once I saw men urinating against buildings. - don't step in puddle, they aren't always what you think they are.

All in all Residence Lodi is a good place to stay if you want to save money on your accommodations. It's liveable and clean, but no one is going to tell you that it's a "hidden gem" - you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank tspoon727
Reviewed 23 August 2009

it is neither a hotel nor aparthotel. it is a hostal
bad neighhood, very dangerous place, personnel dont speak any language but Italian.
the air condition is not good, the TVs doesnt work .....everything is horrible.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family