“Past it's best”

Ranked #1,047 of 12,162 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$27 - US$33
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Walsall
“Past it's best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Visited this Restaurant on 14th March 2014 for dinner. There were six of us and we initially met the owner outside at the restaurant entrance, he offered us a free bottle of wine and on looking at the menu board outside we decided to give it a try. We were seated by our waiter who then proceeded to be extremely pushy trying to recommend different items from the menu, he then asked us what wine we would like, white or red and we stated one of each, he proceeded to bring two bottles of wine to the table and when asked if we could see the wine menu ignored our requests. The wine was very nice a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a bottle of Chianti. We had earlier been welcomed by a glass of fizz which was a nice touch and the customary basket of bread which is never requested but just appears and is added to the bill( I think this is the norm in Italy).
I chose a seafood salad as a starter, and my friend chose items of antipasti. The salad was flavoursome but not exactly what I expected, I think it was fresh but had a rather strong vinegar taste, it contained a filet of some type of fish which was definitely pickled, I do admit the octopus was very nice and tender. The consensus around the table was the Parma ham was a little dryer and not as nice as we had sampled at previous restaurants. I continued to ask for the wine list and having eventually been supplied it found that the red wine he had chosen was priced at 35 Euros, I have nothing against paying for good quality items but to choose a wine for a customer I'd have expected to be informed of the price. I queried this at the time to which I was told " don't worry I will give you a special price" suffice to say this "special price" never materialised.
For main course I chose veal in a marsala sauce, this was ok but the chef hadn't cooked the alcohol out of the sauce so I was left with a strong flavour of alcohol as opposed to a delicate flavoursome sauce. A side salad was ordered and this was swimming in what I thought was water but turned out to be a vinegar based dressing, when I say swimming I do literally mean this, quite unpleasant. Others chose a variety of dishes, my wife's lamb was dry but tasty, I had rave reports from two of my friends who chose the mixed grill and the fillet steak was superb.
I didn't go for a sweet, but the creme brûlée was topped with raspberries and wild strawberries and my wife enjoyed it but commented on the lack of a crispy sugar topping. Others had the tiramisu and stated it was lovely.
The bill came to a little over 300 Euros this was three appetisers, six mains and four deserts. We had four bottles of wine.
The restaurant is adorned with photographs of the owner with different celebrities, none of these seem to date later than about twenty years ago, clearly the restaurant was popular and I'm sure of a high quality during these time, unfortunately I wouldn't say it still is, perhaps it is living on a fading reputation, if I were you I'd give it a miss and perhaps try on of the other places nearby and opposite.

Visited March 2014

• Czech first
  • Greek first
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“awful atmosphere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had an extremely unpleasant lunch at this restaurant and couldn't wait to leave! I can't really comment on the food as we only had a plate of pasta but there was no atmosphere and the presence of the owner was somewhat intimidating. A really uncomfortable experience!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank PascalClarenne
Brussels, Belgium
“Cosy restaurant in a cinecitta ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with my wife and two colleagues whilst on a business trip in Rome.
The restaurant is situated in a calm street parallel to the via XX settembre. The eating area(s) are composed of pretty cosy small rooms, with the walls decorated with black & white pictures of Italian moviestars from the Cinecitta period.
We all took a fresh pasta as starter. All good, tasty dishes. I took a fish as main dish, my wife an ossobucco and my two colleagues an escalope with lemon sauce. Everybody very happy with their dishes. + a nice Rosso di Montalcino as perfect companion to the tasty dishes.
Conclusion: Nothing extra-ordinary, but a nice, decent dinner in a cosy environment. Price was more than OK: € 224 for four persons, including a very good bottle of wine.

Visited February 2014
Boston, MA
“Good, Not Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our concierge from our hotel sent us there when we were looking for a close spot after travelling all day.

The waiters were so great. It took a few minutes to warm them up but once we did they were wonderful. We had several different pastas, all were delicious. The bread was stale but we found that at most of the spots we ate in Italy during our 10 day visit. I just think we are used to really great bread in the US now and the Italians don't waste food and will eat and enjoy day old bread.

If you are staying at the St Regis and need a close spot you can't go wrong here. I wouldn't go across town to visit. The owner was very unfriendly, kind of hurt the vibe of the place. The waiters were so much nicer but the owner knocks it down to only a 3

• Visited December 2013
Miami
“Good food in a cinecitta covered walls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Apparently many famous people came here to eat, but we came because the concierge of the St Regis where we were staying recommended the place. We came with not so big expectations and really it was a very good Italian restaurant, insalata di mare, tortelli al brodo, oxtail, ricotta crostata. Really after a little time we won over the waiter with our choices and he went all the way to please us. The food being very good and the service getting better over the meal it was a really good experience. We went there for lunch. We so some customer taking grilled fishes that make me hesitate to take another dish after dessert. But I had oxtail one of Rome specialty so ... No problem to recommend the place. If you are nearby do not hesitate. If you have to drive far maybe you can find something closer.

• Visited December 2013