“Nice place & good food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Description: The tradition, choice of products and the excellence of dishes are our strenghts for over 50 years. Our thanks to all our guests. Each one for us is a VIP
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We had a super time at this restaurant! Nice staff, a restaurant whith tradition and style. The food was excellent and tasty. We highly recommend this place:-)

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Charming place with excellent food (the veal is superb), very reasonable prices and charming service! We went two nights in a row and were immediately recognized, given our same table and rewarded with increasingly large glasses of wine at each course!

Don't be put off if it is quiet, it's just not particularly touristy despite being in a touristy area!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Visited this Restaurant on 14th March 2014 for dinner. There were six of us and we initially met the owner outside at the restaurant entrance, he offered us a free bottle of wine and on looking at the menu board outside we decided to give it a try. We were seated by our waiter who then proceeded to be extremely pushy trying to recommend different items from the menu, he then asked us what wine we would like, white or red and we stated one of each, he proceeded to bring two bottles of wine to the table and when asked if we could see the wine menu ignored our requests. The wine was very nice a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a bottle of Chianti. We had earlier been welcomed by a glass of fizz which was a nice touch and the customary basket of bread which is never requested but just appears and is added to the bill( I think this is the norm in Italy).
I chose a seafood salad as a starter, and my friend chose items of antipasti. The salad was flavoursome but not exactly what I expected, I think it was fresh but had a rather strong vinegar taste, it contained a filet of some type of fish which was definitely pickled, I do admit the octopus was very nice and tender. The consensus around the table was the Parma ham was a little dryer and not as nice as we had sampled at previous restaurants. I continued to ask for the wine list and having eventually been supplied it found that the red wine he had chosen was priced at 35 Euros, I have nothing against paying for good quality items but to choose a wine for a customer I'd have expected to be informed of the price. I queried this at the time to which I was told " don't worry I will give you a special price" suffice to say this "special price" never materialised.
For main course I chose veal in a marsala sauce, this was ok but the chef hadn't cooked the alcohol out of the sauce so I was left with a strong flavour of alcohol as opposed to a delicate flavoursome sauce. A side salad was ordered and this was swimming in what I thought was water but turned out to be a vinegar based dressing, when I say swimming I do literally mean this, quite unpleasant. Others chose a variety of dishes, my wife's lamb was dry but tasty, I had rave reports from two of my friends who chose the mixed grill and the fillet steak was superb.
I didn't go for a sweet, but the creme brûlée was topped with raspberries and wild strawberries and my wife enjoyed it but commented on the lack of a crispy sugar topping. Others had the tiramisu and stated it was lovely.
The bill came to a little over 300 Euros this was three appetisers, six mains and four deserts. We had four bottles of wine.
The restaurant is adorned with photographs of the owner with different celebrities, none of these seem to date later than about twenty years ago, clearly the restaurant was popular and I'm sure of a high quality during these time, unfortunately I wouldn't say it still is, perhaps it is living on a fading reputation, if I were you I'd give it a miss and perhaps try on of the other places nearby and opposite.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had an extremely unpleasant lunch at this restaurant and couldn't wait to leave! I can't really comment on the food as we only had a plate of pasta but there was no atmosphere and the presence of the owner was somewhat intimidating. A really uncomfortable experience!

2  Thank PascalClarenne
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I visited this restaurant with my wife and two colleagues whilst on a business trip in Rome.
The restaurant is situated in a calm street parallel to the via XX settembre. The eating area(s) are composed of pretty cosy small rooms, with the walls decorated with black & white pictures of Italian moviestars from the Cinecitta period.
We all took a fresh pasta as starter. All good, tasty dishes. I took a fish as main dish, my wife an ossobucco and my two colleagues an escalope with lemon sauce. Everybody very happy with their dishes. + a nice Rosso di Montalcino as perfect companion to the tasty dishes.
Conclusion: Nothing extra-ordinary, but a nice, decent dinner in a cosy environment. Price was more than OK: € 224 for four persons, including a very good bottle of wine.