“Comfortable home base in Rome”
Review of Casa Romana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Romana
Ranked #28 of 1,178 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 8 February 2013

This review is long overdue as I stayed here September 2011. The B&B is practically across the street from Termini station, so very convenient to get around Rome. There are several restaurants in the area so you have choices for dining but the area as a whole is a little dirty and gave the impression of not being the safest neighbourhood. While I had no problems with the area during the daytime I did try to be cautious and not return to the B&B too late as I was travelling alone.

I had the single room which was a good size, very clean with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was a bit small but workable. My one complaint is the street below gets a little loud in the afternoons and early evening due to the restaurants next door so I had to close the window to enjoy some quiet time before going out.

While I did not see Fulvia very much, when I did see her she was friendly and hospitable, always asking what my plan for the day was and giving some suggestions to make the most of my stay in Rome. The one thing that really impressed was that I was terribly late arriving, getting lost after arriving at the bus station. Even though I was almost 2 hours late Fulvia was still at the B&B waiting for me to arrive and even though I know this was an inconvenience to her she took it all in stride and still greeted me in a warm and friendly way.

I am currently planning a second trip to the area and am planning to try and secure a room here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mpllf1014

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I second all the great reviews written here - the rooms were really clean, the beds were undoubtedly the most comfortable compared to any hotels or B&Bs we've ever stayed at!! It's also very conveniently located, but the best part of the accommodation was Fulvia - she makes sure you have a very pleasant stay :-)
Even though we arrived on Christmas Eve, and Fulvia had a big family dinner planned, she gave us the warmest welcome and also helped us with our luggage despite our requesting her not to do so!!!
Ohh...and did I mention the delicious Italian Cappuccino she prepared for us in the mornings !!!
Simply loved it :)

I can say that this is our favourite place to stay in all of Rome since this was not our first time,and we would definitely return to Fulvia's if we happen to come back to Rome again :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in dec. it was really great! room and toilet were spotlessly clean. B & B was about 5min walk from Roma Termini. Fulvia was very friendly, warm and hospitable. she recommended where to get food, pastries and what to see. will stay here again when i visit rome in the near future. =D

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Yes read it right! This place is truly run by angels and I'm referring to the owner Fulvia Angelini and the cleaning lady Angela.
Due to a very unfortunate incident, we were unable to board our 11-day Mediterranean. I together with my mom and dad and a Colombian couple suddenly found ourselves in the middle of Rome with no place to stay at past 7 in the evening. Luckily, I was able to do prior research and saved some numbers of hotels in Rome top of mind of which was Casa Romana due to its rating in Tripadvisor. So I immediately called up Fulvia and inquired if she had a room available. We needed at least two rooms as were also with a Colombian couple who suffered similar circumstances as us.
Even at the last minute, Fulvia entertained my call and fortunately was able to accommodate us. Once we got to the hotel, it was then when I realized that all the reviews were indeed true. Fulvia was one of the nicest and most accommodating person you will ever meet in Italy. She was supposed to meet-up with a friend for dinner but she postponed her dinner a bit just to help settle us in. Already dressed-up for the evening, she singlehandedly prepared our rooms even refusing me to help her carry a folding bed.
The location is very convenient as it's located just a block away from Roma Termini. This makes it quite easy to travel to/from the airport, take the trains/metro/buses/taxis or for a little bit of shopping. The Termini has some shops and 2 small groceries. I also find the area which is located at the Via Marsala side of Termini to be less busy and safe even late at night. Definitely much better than the Via Giolitti side! Some people may find the street noise an issue though particularly with the cafe across the street. Nevertheless and just like us, you'll most likely be so tired at the end of the day to even notice.
The rooms are modern, very clean and kept in tip top shape. this is a small establishment that has only three rooms all with ensuite baths. Room 1 is the smallest and good if you are a solo or at most a couple. Room 2 is a bit bigger and can accommodate three persons at the most. If you can get Room 3, take it! This room is the biggest with an exposed ceiling, a more spacious bath and a closet. Towels, shower gel and shampoo are likewise provided. Wireless Internet inside the room was fast and reliable.
Another plus is the adequate breakfast that comes with the room personally prepared by Fulvia each morning. The freshly brewed coffee, breads, croissants, a choice meat, fruits, cookies, cereals, jams, milk, juices are just enough to help kick start your day exploring Rome. The breakfast spread is laid out in the hallway just outside your room so you can just help yourself and partake of the food in your room. During the rest of the day, Fulvia leaves some fruits, cookies, muffins/cupcakes, juice and you can just help yourself with snacks anytime.
When we needed to extend our stay but all the rooms were booked, Fulvia was even kind enough to refer us to her friend's place, Guest Haus Praetorium, just across the street from Casa Romana. Both establishments are somehow affiliated and equally great (read my other review).
The other angel is Angela, the kind and helpful cleaning lady. She also cleans the rooms at the Praetorium by the way. While we were trying to sort out our trip, she gave us a lot of helpful tips and advice and even used her phone and did phone calls for us.
Just be aware that Fulvia and Angela aren't around 24 hours. This is likewise true for similar establishments in Rome. So it's best that you effectively communicate your arrival and departure schedules so Fulvia can meet and settle you in. You will then be given a set of keys for the building, the main door and your room. Fulvia makes herself available 24 hours though by phone just in case you need anything. She'll also gladly offer you advice and tips on how to go about your trip in Rome. With her attention to detail and efficiency, you probably won't be needing much.
Sure there are much nicer places in Rome but at much higher prices. Travelers who are used to being pampered and provided with a host of amenities at inflated prices should look elsewhere. This is a place for independent travelers who appreciate the simple things and the kindness of others. In the end, it truly are the people who make the big difference.
With that said, I would like to say a big thank you to our two angels in Rome - Fulvia Angelini and Angela for helping make what started our as a disaster to a worthwhile and enjoyable stay in Rome. An overall great value place...definitely Highly Recommended. Dont' look any further, contact Fulvia now before Casa Romana gets booked out!
Now that I'm back home, now I can admit to Fulvia that I probably ate most of the lemon muffins/cupcakes at cupboard haha...so delicious!

Room Tip: Take room 3 if you can. Though all the rooms are equally nice, room 3 is spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bryantpark88
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed at Casa Romana Oct.29-Nov.2, 4 nights. rooms are very clean and comfortable. Fulvia helped us make the most of our days in Rome by suggesting an itinery for each day. We used the public subways and buses to get around the terminal is 3 short blocks away. Tickets are for sale at the news vendors in the Termini station 1.50 euro per ticket. In the terminal on the lower level is a drug/grocery store where you can get a ready made meal eg. lazagna and they will heat it in a microwave then you can eat in with your feet up if you are too tired to go back out to eat. The train to Civitivecchia is 10 euros from there 5 euros each taxi/van to the ship docks. You can buy Vatican tickets on line on the Vatican site for 19 euros then you enter where the groups go in so you have no line ups. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at Casa Romana from June 18th for 3 nights this year.
It’s an amazing place, perfect location, very close to Termini Station, only few blocks away. The rooms were spotlessly clean and perfectly decorated, beds were comfortable, air conditioner worked totally well, and we got great sleep. Breakfasts were delicious and healthy; we loved the fresh fruits, coffee, muffins and others.
The owner, Fulvia, is attentive and extremely helpful, she took very good care of us, gave us many excellent advices and directions. We’ll never forget her hospitality.
HIGHLY recommended!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Casa Romana was in the perfect location for us near the Termini station in Rome. It was an easy walking distance with wheelie bags.

Fulvia was there to welcome us and let us start to get settled, even though they were just finishing cleaning the bathrooms. We booked 2 of the 3 rooms here and for the most part it was just like having our own private place.

The beds were very comfortable without being too soft and squishy. The rooms had been cleverly thought out and took the best advantage of the space available. Each room had a little table for 2 and stools so you could sit comfortably over breakfast.

Breakfast was brought in fresh each morning with bread for the toaster, jams/preserves (even some of Fulvia's own homemade apricot jam), salami, orange juice, and tea and coffee. Fulvia brought freshly prepared Italian coffee each morning and she even had a little machine that froths milk to make cappuccinos (just only fill to the first max mark or it will overflow). There were a few mornings that we needed to be up and going very early but Fulvia made sure that we had everything but the fresh coffee in our mini fridge ready to prepare.

Fulvia had a great folder of suggestions there and was more than happy to talk to you about ideas for your stay in Rome. She even came to see us off when we were leaving on an early train.

All in all an excellent stay and we would return to Fulvia's any time we happen to find ourselves in Rome.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple