“Excellent hotel but.....”

Ranked #120 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
New York City, New York
“Excellent hotel but.....”
Reviewed 30 June 2010

This hotel was excellent overall. It is located in a quiet neighborhood off the Via Veneto. Great restaurants in the area. Easy walk to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Service was good. The room was very large and the bathroom was large as well. The breakfast was super with a large selection provided. The outdoor terrace was quiet and an a great place to have an after dinner drink or breakfast in the morning. Having said that I must qualify the but.
Prior to going to Rome I was warned of all the scams...the baby, the ring, the gypsies, pickpockets etc. But there were 2 scams that I was not aware of. On our first day in Rome, while walking down the street by our hotel we were stopped by a man in a car asking directions to Milan. We explained that we were from NY and unaware of directions. He proceeded to tell us that he worked for Versace and forgot how to get out of Rome. There was some friendly chitchat about NYC and then he told us that he was going to give us 2 sample leather jackets from Versace. Well, we were taken aback and questioned his motives. He assured us he was on the level and handed the jackets to my husband in a shopping bag. Then he proceeded to tell us that he needed gas money. With this my husband throws the jackets back into the car and tells him to get lost. Who knows what that was all about?
The other qualifier was a bit more serious. On my last night in Rome I got a call from a friend in the states at 1am saying that she had just received an email from me asking for $1550 dollars because my bag was stolen in UK and I was stranded. Earlier that day I had used the hotel's computer to send an email to my son about phone trouble I was having. The hotel provided me with a user name and password so I didn't think twice about the security of the computer. When I went back later to check my emails my account was not recognizing my password. I thought it odd but passed it off as a problem with the hotel's computer. Little did I know that sometime between the 2 computer logins someone had stolen my email account. I was frantic and really worried about identity fraud. I spent the next 2 hours calling my banks and credit card companies.
Fortunately the damage was limited to people on my contact list being bombarded with this crazy email. Luckily from the way it was written they knew it couldn't have possibly come from me. But it was very upsetting. The hotel staff was not very receptive to what had happened and tried to blow it off. Not the response I wanted. Meanwhile I saw people were still using the computer. At the very least I think they should have it checked or security changed. It was my only complaint but it was a major one.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mkurth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Small hotel with all the big hotel ammenities!! Stayed in quad/suite with two children...age 11 and 13. Spacious room with two beds. Located on top floor, so had 2 private terraces. Staff was very helpful, especially with advice. Breakfast was very good and again, no problems with the children.

I would definately stay here again. The location was within a 5 minute walk to the spanish steps and the villa borghese. Trevi fountain within a 10 minute walk.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank rgoyal4
NYC
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I spent a fun-filled weekend with my sister celebrating her birthday and the Villa Pinciana Hotel in Rome certainly delivered. The staff provided kind help and assistance to our every request (even getting us onto a guest list for a packed night club). The helpfulness of the staff was really unbelievable-even down to helping us navigate the bus and subway system! The room we had was spacious and comfortable--the bathroom was quite large and the shower had amazing water pressure.

We loved the "boutique" feeling of the hotel versus the larger "corporate" feeling at other 4-star venues. The hotel provided free internet access and the free breakfast each morning was especially lovely. Sitting outside in the garden with plates of cured meats and cheeses, fruit juices, cappuccinos, and pastries was just the little luxury my sister and I needed to start each day.

The hotel is situated near the Borghese Park, but in walking distance to everything we wanted to see. I would certainly stay here again at our next visit!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank littlevino
athens greece
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We found this hotel luxurious, confortable ,in a very quite place near Via Veneto and metro Barberini .
Spacious rooms with great balconies .Exceptional view and nice verandas in room 501 in the last floor! The only room in the floor.
Breakfast in the room was too poor and there is no coffee machine in the room.
But we really suggest this hotel for the atmosphere and the calm!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AthensGreeceAmanda
Pietrasanta, Italy
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I stayed here recently with my partner and overall, thought it was a lovely hotel and a blessed relief from the larger, blander hotels (which I generally steer clear of anyway). Beautiful building, lovely greeting by the woman on reception when we arrived, very clean and beautiful room (we were lucky enough to have a terrace), friendly and helpful staff in general and a fantastic breakfast. Oh, and free parking - how incredible in the centre of Rome!

However, there are just a few things that I felt would have made a difference, given that this hotel is denoted as Four Star Superior.

Firstly, and this is something that too many hotels slip up on, the hairdryer was one of those attached to the wall which looks like the hose of a vacuum cleaner and in no way can be used to style your hair. For many women, this is a potential trip-spoiler - especially in a city like Rome where elegance is called for and you dress up in fabulous frocks when you go out. These hairdryers are not acceptable in my book in any hotel boasting four or more stars.
Plastic cups were provided in the mini-bar - again, not befitting this sort of establishment.
And where were the robes? Again, I would expect any hotel with four stars or more to offer these. We had a lovely terrace, but there was no wandering out onto it in the morning without having to pull on clothes, rather than just don a robe. And, even if we hadn't had a terrace, I would still expect robes to be provided.
The towels - they were large, but of thin material which spoke of a three-star establishment and again, just jarred with the quality of the furnishings and the overall image.
We went down to look at the Wellness Area, but would not use the jacuzzi - the water looked far too murky for our liking.

Finally, I had a bit of a crisis as I went to iron a top. I asked for an iron to be brought up and was told that there was not a single iron in the hotel. The reason is that in Rome irons apparently present a safety hazard and therefore it is more unusual than usual to find a hotel with an iron. I'm sure there must be ways around this without having to think ahead to use the laundry service. It would be helpful to know about this in advance, as to me it is the most normal thing in the world to expect an iron.

I fear this list makes it sound as though I didn't enjoy my stay, and this is not the case. I thought it was a beautiful hotel and I would stay there again. But, the idea of taking my own hairdryer, robe and glasses does make me balk a little. I just want to see this hotel reach its true potential with some small adjustments. Clearly, plenty of money and taste has gone into creating this hotel, and some tiny details are letting it down.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TGoodall
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We stayed in Hotel Villa Pinciana for a weekend in March. The location is central, the hotel is stylish and elegant and the staff were the most friendly, efficient and helpful we had ever encountered. We loved this Rome and this hotel and hope to have the opportunity to return some day.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary196316
Latvia
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We liked the hotel very much. It is new, beautifully decorated, clean. The staff was very-very helpful and friendly. It is situated in the splendid district. The bus stop is in 2 min, walk, the underground - 10-15 min., Spanish Steps - 15 min., park- 5 min. There are some good restaurants nearby . Just perfect hotel !

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends