“Highly over-rated”
Review of UNA Hotel Roma

UNA Hotel Roma
Ranked #98 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 25 December 2012

After having read rave reviews about this hotel we decided to give it a go. After three very painful 3 days, our only conclusion is that our fellow reviwers have very very low expectations. While the rooms are more modern than you'll find in most other hotels in the Termini area, the staff members are surly and unhelpful, the rooms are under stocked (no kettles available and they tried to charge us 3 euros for boiling water- what a joke!) And the breakfast is among the very worst I've had. If you pay for peanuts you'll get monkeys...spend a bit of extra money and stay at a reputable hotel chain. Trips to Rome should be about enjoying this gorgeous city not bemoaning a terrible hotel room. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank destinokim

Reviewed 24 December 2012

I stayed at the Una Hotel Roma for 2 nights celebrating my birthday with some girlfriends and we had a fantastic time. The hotel is very modern and very clean and we also had the opportunity of being upgraded! This was also a special offer break so we came up trumps!! The staff were very friendly and helpful and were at our service at the drop of a pin! Leonardo in the bar was very entertaining making excellent cocktails for us on a nightly basis and all in all I would recommend to anyone to experience staying at this hotel. The breakfast was excellent - we had expected a continental breakfast and was pleasantly surprised by the spread! The hotel is within a stone's throw away from the termini station and the Metro is a couple minutes walk. The only only noise that we heard from our hotel was the trams but all in all a fantastic break.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank retreat12
Reviewed 14 December 2012

When I read the reviews of others, I am not sure if they stayed in the same place or have ever stayed in another hotel before. Una Hotel is a Tiger Woods lob wedge shot from the side entry door to the Termini Station and Rome's Metro. Inside that door is the "Leonardo Express" to Fiumicino Airport. Get to Termini and the world is your oyster.

Easy walk to the treasures of Santa Maria Maggiore and San Giovanni in Laterano (St John Lateran). Neighborhood isn't the best but if you can handle NYC, this is a piece of cake.

About the hotel, it is in excellent condition with large rooms (we "upgraded"), modern bathrooms and "minimalist" decorations--no pictures on the walls and white is color of choice. Not like my home but I wasn't buying the place, only staying there. Bathrooms have one flaw, entry into the tub/shower takes a high step--and interior of the tub is very slick--no mat. For seniors this can be a challenge.

Rooms facing Via D Manin have an old fashioned street trolley and you can hear the trolley on the rails during day and evening hours. You get no noise from the electric powered trains at Termini. Traffic on Via Giovanni Amendola is restricted so it is largely pedestrian. Hotel staff was "British" formal but helpful. English widely spoken.

Hotel breakfast included in price is very good. Dinner in the hotel restaurant tends toward the expensive and is OK but not memorable. Lunch not offered.

The Florence Football team was staying in the hotel while we were there so we had plenty of carabinieri security around the hotel but it is a good indication of the clientele the hotel attracts.

Plenty of restaurants nearby in all price ranges, easy transportation and great location plus an upper level hotel means prices are higher at this hotel. We thought it was worth the price for the convenience and what it provided but if you are on a tight budget this may not be the place for you.

We would stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing anything but Via D Manin--the street with the steel wheeled trolley and tracks...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TXDavid937
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We stayed at the UNA Hotel Roma for three nights in September 2012. This is a modern, upscale hotel in an older area within two blocks of the central train station and the metro system. UNA Hotel Roma is on the expensive side at about US $330/night. Major sites are an average of 15 minutes by metro exclusive of wait time on the platform. During rush hours the metro is ultra crowded and one must push and shove to get in or out of the car. The rooms are large and clean. The hotel staff are friendly, knowledgeable, professionally attired and speak excellent English. Our bartender was very nice and we stopped for a cocktail in the small bar after a long day of touring Rome each day before retiring. The surrounding area is safe, but my wife was a little uncomfortable walking in the neighborhood at night. She also refused to ride the metro at night also, so that must be taken into account. The morning breakfast buffet was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoveToTravel34728
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We booked this hotel for a relaxing ladies-weekend in rome. Good choice. Neat, clean and proper hotel/room, friendly service, good breakfast, nice hotel bar. Good location close to statione termini. Easy to find - wherever in rome you are. Our "special offer price"-value-relation was perfect!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I booked this hotel for my boyfriends birthday. Its a fab location Very near the station literally 2 minutes and within walking distance to all the sites. The front of the hotel and lobby are beautiful. I emailed several times before our arrival to make sure I received the room I wanted Unfortunately I wasn't given the room I'd asked for but it was perfectly comfortable so didn't mention it. Room was slightly on the small side but the bathroom was large so this made up for it, the shower over bath wasn't ideal and the glass door did get in the way and I ended up bashing my hip on the tap whilst getting out of the bath resulting in a huge bruise!. Your only given two pillows, although they offer a pillow service I think 4 pillows should be standard. Wifi was awfullll and very overpriced And the safe broke twice. Breakfast was very good. Good service throughout the stay. Overall apart from the issues mentioned we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel and think they deserve their 4 stars

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank A11511
Reviewed 11 December 2012

My wife and I needed a hotel where we could crash after 24+ hrs of air travel that was near the Termini. I looked at the reviews and photos on Trip Advisor and decided to book. At first, I was leery of my choice, looking at the surrounding area on Google Street View and seeing all the graffiti and trashy looking stores in the area. But I was happy to see the area was much cleaner and not run-down. The walk from Termini was just a couple of minutes. The exterior is clean, fresh and modern, as is the interior. The staff was very pleasant and helpful with any questions we had. The bellman was prompt with our bags and showed us how to turn on the lights, set the thermostat, etc (not the typical set-up as American hotels; the lights are activated by inserting your key card into the wall). The room was spacious (comparable to most of the newer chain hotels in every American town these days) and very clean. The bathroom was large and modern with the only inconvenience being the awkward shower/tub combo (the pane of glass that serves as a door doesn't really do anything helpful and is pretty much just in the way). The breakfast layout had plenty for us to eat, with a variety of fruits, meats, cereals, breads, yogurt and beverages and the dining room was very clean. We enjoyed our stay to the point that we wished we'd booked it for the three days we spent after our cruise, even over a more centrally-located hotel.

Room Tip: Our room that faced an interior atrium was very quiet. Not sure how the street-facing rooms fared fo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple