“Five Star Hotel for a Four Star Price”

Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Ranked #126 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Simply THE best hotel we could ever have asked for in Rome. 5 Star hotel at a reasonable price. Check-in service was fabulous. Rooms were spacious (for European standards). Room amenities and decor was superb. The staff was exceedingly friendly, doormen most helpful. Food and drink service was delightful. It was truly well worth the expense, knowing the great value we received.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. This was a surprise weekend getaway for a friend of mine who had never been to Rome. All the staff were very friendly and I loved sitting at the bar each day for an espresso or a drink. The presentation for everything at the bar was phenomenal. I wish I knew where to find the giant green olives that the bar utilizes. I booked my friend for a spa treatment and she said it was the nicest spa she had ever been in. Although we had reservations for dinner our last night in Rome, we decided to have a quick drink on the rooftop terrace. It was so nice and private that we decided to just order food on the rooftop. Next thing you know and 7 hours had flown by. Will definitely stay here for all my future trips to Rome.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Vvaughn
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The Grand Hotel Via Veneto provided us with the most fabulous thirthieth wedding anniversary pre celebration. We arrived in Rome on Sunday, July 3 and stayed at this wonderful establishment until Friday, July 8. It truly is the most magnificent hotel in Rome. FIVE STAR all the way! From Silvio at the front door, Gina who assisted us with transportation, the wonderful ladies in the SPA, and the courteous, collegial and knowledgeable staff at the front desk - we have to say again and again - Paolo Tulini Front Desk Supervisor, Roberta Valorani Booking Agent, and Ilaria Lucani CEO Personal Assistant, their service is second to none. This is truly a first class establishment. Having vacationed in Rome and stayed at such five star hotels as the Westin, Intercontinental, and the Marriot...they cannot compare to the GH Via Veneto. Its modern (they just opened in 2009), sleek, art deco style coupled with its outstanding customer service made our stay in Rome unforgettable. The rooms are spacious and immaculate. We had a room with an outdoor terrace that looked up the side street to the Via Veneto. One day my cousin from Grosseto (a nearby town) stopped in to visit us but we were out for the day. The staff welcomed hm and made sure we received the handwritten note that he left for us. Breakfast, which was included in our stay, was delicious. The staff - top notch! We enjoyed cappuccino and espresso each morning along with a variety of hot entrees (my husband loved the Eggs Benedict) all served in their beautiful Magnolia Dining Room. We were able to unwind each day in their beautiful SPA and relaxation room. The staff there always pampered us with hot teas, cool drinks and fresh fruit. The sauna and the steam room coupled with the salt water pool spa were a vigorous way to end a day of sightseeing and shopping! There were great restaurants within walking distance - be sure to try the fried stuffed olives and the hand cut prosciutto di parma. Walking to the Spanish Steps provided breathtaking views and fabulous shopping. The bar in the restaurant provided outstanding wine selections. We also enjoyed drinks in the evening right outside - sharing an apertif with visiting family one night...and just the two of us on other evenings....truly experiencing the Via Veneto and la dolce vita. Kudos to this fine establishment. We made sure when we walked to the Trevi Fountain (three different times during our stay) we threw our coins in so we can guarantee our return to Rome and to the GH Via Veneto. We are already planning our next trip! Thank you to the entire staff......you made our stay a most memorable one. Most sincerely, Theresa and George Licitra.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank whills4
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on my way back from Ravello, I found it great hotel and location, I walked in one night to Spanish steps, trevi fountain and piazza Della republica. On the time of arrival they showed me the room and how the facet works! Apparently it was a big deal for everybody and some complains! But I found it easy to navigate.
I have asked them to wake me up at 6am and provide me with breakfast in the room and they did on time except the apologized to provide scrambled eggs instead the provided boiled eggs and of course I had to pay the 25 Euros as not included in the stay but I was happy with that.
The most please surprise is to find the hotel next to famous Raphael the shoe store which is still there since the 70’s I heard about it from my auntie when she use to visit Roma back then!!
The hotel is modern rather than the typical Italian design, I like it more than my stay at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese much much better and I can tell you I will be re book at this hotel next year for sure

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Excellent location on Via Veneto, close to the Westin, Marriott and St. Regis. Yet, unlike those hotels, you will not find mobs of tourists. This seems to be a hidden jewel. Very attentive service, excellent rooms and one of the best breakfasts I've had in any hotel. They currently are running a Roman Summer promotion where the 3rd night is free, breakfast, spa and welcome drink included. It works out quite well relative to the other nice hotels in town. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The hotel has been completely refurbished and re-opend not long ago. The design and atmosphere are outstanding and you can feel the touch of the Bulgari ownership. the location is great with easy access to many intersting areas of downtown Rome for both pleasure and business. i was staying in a standard room and compared with many Rome hotels did not feel the size limitation which you often find. The rate which is not "cheap" is however interesting for the locaton and type of hotel, expecially if compared with the neightboring hotels, however i believe this is a kind of promotional rate so do not know until when it will last.
The service is quite varying and you can meet different attitueds and capabilities, the impression is that some people are barely above apprentice level or under training o expect a great variation from this point of view. i did not unse any of the restarants/bar so cannot commet on this. definitely worth a try but if rates rise you want more from the service level point of view. jus a supid expample, when you arrive at the entrance door, depending on who is on duty you can expect a most warm and serviceous welcom or you might even have to open the door yourself ...
A big issue I had was "connectivity": there was no mobile phone coverage in my room and I could not acces the wireless network which in my case, being on a business trip, was a geat inconvenience: if you need phone or internet connectivity I suggest you make it clear and make sure you get a suitable room.

Room Tip: Please see last sentence above
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank marcopaolo
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Our family recently returned from over 2 weeks in Italy. In Rome we elected to stay at the rather posh Grand Hotel Via Veneto. After a bit of confusion upon arrival when our initial non-smoking rooms in this supposed all non-smoking hotel smelled like cigarettes AND had ash trays in the room, we went to lunch while 2 rooms on a REAL non-smoking floor were made available. These rooms were fine, and perhaps because of this initial snafu, one of our rooms was upgraded to Deluxe with an outer view... albeit of a wall. LOL That was nice.

Most odd was that this upgraded Deluxe room was the room with 2 beds for our kids, so my wife and I took the smaller Superior room in the inner (and quite nice, actually) courtyard view. While this room was very fine, the bathroom was downright STRANGE. While our kids room had a HUGE 4 ft x 8 ft luxury shower and a separate luxury tub, our room had merely a 3 ft x 3ft stand-up shower with a rather tacky plastic curtain that seemed a bid out of place in a posh 5-star hotel with the bidet nearby. While this superior room was FAR from 5 star, the worst part was that use of this stall basically REQUIRED that the entire bathroom floor would get wet... slash that, DRENCHED. (So much for Italian design!! Frank Lloyd Wright could have taught the architect a bit about form AND function being one... but I digress.) Still worse, was the fact that the hand-held shower was IMPOSSIBLE for anyone shorter than a 6-feet tall to use... as my wife was unable to reach the top mount to hang it, yet she was too short for the lower mount not to cause the water to smash her in the face. Even worse, the first time I used the shower on the top mount, I LITERALLY ended-up with a bloody scalp after the sharp nozzle smashed me in the head when I turned the water off and it 'jumped' out of the cradle when the pressure stopped. (At that point, I was GLAD that the kids had the luxury room!!!) These shower and bathroom design flaws HAVE been mentioned before here, and upon checkout I SPECIFICALLY told the staff member who checked us out that every employee of the hotel should take a shower in one of these standard rooms to fully understand this TRAGIC flaw and the reason other has also been angered! (He seemed to ignore me, rather snobbishly. LOL)

OK, another common complaint here seems to be the Concierge, or rather the lack of a true one. While I can see that the ATTEMPT is to have all of the employees who check-in new guests to be considered as the "Concierge", one only needs to stay at a fine hotel with a true world-class Concierge (The Hay Adams in DC, the Savoy in London, and any number of hotels in Hong Kong and Shanghai come immediately to mind) to see the mistake in the plan here. While one gentleman went out of his way to help us locate an Irish Pub to watch the World Cup game, the vast majority our my Concierge-type questions led to mild frustration and missed opportunities.

Frankly, we found Mario at the front door to be the most knowledgeable on what Rome has to offer... and he IS terrific! The ladies in the Spa and workout area are also wonderful!! (Though, to call what they have a pool is dishonest!!) And the beds are VERY cozy!! We liked this hotel and considered the rather high price still to be a reasonable value in this area of town. When we one day return to Rome without kids we will gladly stay here again, albeit only in the Deluxe room... unless we bring a hard-hat to shower in. ;)

With all of that in mind, we still did LOVE the location of this hotel on Via Veneto! We also think the hotel is beautifully elegant. We also LOVED the breakfast at the hotel, though we suggest that everyone either pre-pay to get it for half price OR eat this meal at the small neighborhood bakery around the corner from the hotel. (Turn right when departing the front door, turn right at the first street, and walk maybe 40 yards and it is on your right tucked in right beside the hotel.)

I am rating the GHVV a 4... although one of our rooms rated a 5 and the other rated a 3, maybe... perhaps a 3.5 If I had known about the need for that hard-hat. ;) I know next time... as do you know!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family