“Gorgeous Hotel!”

Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Ranked #135 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We travel to Rome a lot and have stayed in many 5 star hotels there, the Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto is exceptional, very plush and high class yet not snobbish. We stayed in an Open Suite which was beautifully decorated, quiet, good size, 2 bathrooms and extremely comfortable bed. Our room type also included breakfast which was excellent and very substantial.

The Reception and Concierge staff were all very friendly and always willing to assist in any way as needed. There were also 2 staff in particular working in the ground floor bar in the evenings who were excellent, unfortunately we don't recall their names but they also did a great job.

Location of the hotel is very good, easy walk to Piazza di Spagna, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, etc. Also lovely location being on Via Veneto and close to the Villa Borghese gardens.

The hotel arranged a car service to/from the airport which was a great way to travel.

We definitely plan to return to this hotel when next in Rome and highly recommend it.
Thank you to all the staff at the Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel13Uk

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I stayed here with my wife and my 20 month old son in September. We had a studio room which consists of a bedroom with an additional area containing a desk and small dining table. This was ideal for us as our son's cot went into this area and he could sleep while we watched tv or surfed the internet (using the free wifi) in our section.

The hotel itself is fabulously decorated with certain design themes and materials used throughout the property. Apparently it has recently been refurbished and it certainly shows (especially liked the Internet room/study just off the main reception area). The hotel itself isn't a large property so there isn't a cavernous lobby like you find in some hotels. Part of the lobby has a glass ceiling with water cascading over it which was a nice effect. (My running joke about the hotel not having fixed the leak yet wore thin with my wife by about the second day.)

Going back to our room, one point others may not like was that there was no view as such - that would have cost extra, but Rome is the kind of place you want to explore rather than just look at from a hotel window, so that wasn't an issue for us.

There were 2 wall mounted televisions and a very large wardrobe. The bathroom was well equipped with Bulgari toiletries. They were replenished regularly along with the towels and contrary to another review I read we had a very efficient turn down service every day.

The staff were always friendly, especially the doormen. Whenever we returned tired from a busy day exploring Rome they were always quick and efficient in helping us with our bags, pram etc. I made sure I left them a good tip at the end of our stay.

Food wise breakfast was great - plenty of choice and a cooked breakfast menu served at the table. We had room service on our first night as we arrived quite late and the food was very nice but I did think it was expensive. However, having explored the area over the next couple of days the prices are actually quite typical. One thing I did like about the area were the charming little pavement cafes every few yards, they always looked very inviting. Many tourist sites are within walking distance although we ended up taking taxis several times as its easier with a child (tip: always ask the hotel to order the taxi, it costs nothing extra and should ensure a reputable driver which can be a problem in Rome).

In summary, this is a luxurious hotel with the sort of typical standards and service you would associate with such properties. I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank T_Ishtiaq
Reviewed 4 November 2012

At one level, this is a great hotel - location, decor, art, doormen (who were brilliant) and waiters. However, given the price, it didn't quite live up to expectations. We couldn't quite put our finger on why. As others have pointed out, it is just a few small things - no coffee in room, a very strange relaxation pool, small gym, badly designed reception/check-in area, a bad recommendation for a tour company. Also, not as well geared up for children as the Four Seasons which is our absolute favourite hotel chain. So, four stars not five.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I chose Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto to give my wife a little home town comfort before heading back to the UAE from our most recent Italian adventure. What i found was not your typical Jumeirah quality. The *****L rating on a plaque out the front of the building by a corporation i had never heard of made me question the reason why this was stated this way - 5 star Luxury rating was definitely not there. bathrooms are poorly finished - really cheap, toilet amenities were completely limited and lacking - not even a cake of soap was provided!! I was able to find out from the staff that the Hotel had only recently been taken over by Jumeirah so i figured that was their excuse, but if a Brand wants to take over an existing property they should really consider the entire package(and refurbish if required) before placing their name to it.
All metallic looking materials we found to be plastic - yet trying to look expensive...Not Cool at all.
Bedroom furniture is of poor quality - doesnt close properly, placement of the same prevented me from opening our wardrobe and still be able to walk around my bed.
No turn down service.
2 pillows on my bed only - that flatten to a pancake - No pillow Menu.
Really cheap quality slippers even...

5 Star Luxury - NOT!!! says it all....

only good thing - location. if you want my advice stay somewhere else until Jumeirah can bring this place up to the standard they exude throughout the UAE.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gazzzadubai69
Reviewed 30 October 2012

First time stay at a JH and we were looking forward to their 'award winning' service and amenities. Left slightly deflated and probably will stick to better known 5 star brands in future.

The good:
Location
Service of door and bar staff (super efficient and friendly).

The bad
Check in : slow and not very private ( I don’t really need the whole of reception and lobby knowing how much my stay was going to be and how I was going to pay).
Rooms: Asked for non smoking room, was escorted to a room that had strong cigarette odour and ash trays. Asked again and was assured this was non-smoking, refused to stay and asked to change. The receptionist then told me I should have asked at time of booking (which at that point presented my printed out my booking confirming non-smoking). Manager got involved and asked us to wait whilst they checked for another room as hotel was completely full. We waited 45mins then were escorted to a tiny room at the end of one floor (must have been spare room for staff I reckon) which also suspiciously smelled of cigarette odour. At this point was getting late so we reluctantly accepted as we had a dinner reservation and needed to change. When we returned the TV wasn’t working so they sent concierge up to fix, whilst he was in the room I asked him if I could smoke and he said ' yes of course sir ' this is a smoking floor. At this point was pretty angry at being lied too twice. Good 5 star hotels don’t deceive customers. The night manager changed our room the following day to a slightly larger room on the non smoking floor. Rooms pretty average , toiletries not replaced, cleaning sporadic.
Restaurant recommendations: Do your own research and don’t rely on concierge....both recommendations we had were at best pretty average. We had better luck on our own.
Breakfast: Watch out for bugs on the fruit.

There were many other smaller incidents that detracted from this being a 5 star hotel. We travel globally and have stayed in many 5 star hotels so this isnt a one off. This is the first time I've felt it necessary to write a review on TA . Im not the type to complain but the JH managed to bring out the 'disgruntled consumer' in me unfortunately.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Youandr
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed in a junior suite in October, the hotel is luxurious, modern, comfortable and all you would expect from a 5 star hotel and more. The staff are friendly and professional but best of all for me was the location, around 10 minutes walk to the Spanish Steps and beyond.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel in September for four days in an 'open suite.' Our room was luxurious--spacious, rich linens, king bed, a sleeper sofa, and round table with chairs in the center of the room, very comfortable, modern, and very quiet.; A/C worked very well. Our two young kids slept on a sleeper sofa and my wife and I had a king bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom was the largest you will find in any hotel with luxurious toiletries. The staff at the hotel was outstanding--extremely warm and helpful. Even my two young children commented on how nice the staff was and how much they enjoyed their stay. My wife used the spa and had a great time.
Breakfast was limited in terms of the buffet offering but you are allowed to order from the breakfast menu which is included so there was no problem. We enjoyed sitting in lobby in the evening and having tea and snacks; the lobby is small by American standards but cozy and comfortable, and has an attached bar; you can order drinks in the lobby as well. The hotel location is excellent--upscale and quieter neighborhood with other upscale hotels/shops/restaurants, and only a ten minute walk to the Spanish Steps. The only downsides are lack of a swimming pool (the small rooftop 'pool' is unheated and for sitting only), the rooftop terrace lacks any view, and there is no WiFi in the room--it is only available in the lobby but is free; there is a free broadband connected computer and printer available in the lobby. We cannot comment on any kids activities being available since we did not request any; there were kids staying in the hotel and the staff seemed quite friendly and welcoming to them.

Overall, a magnificent hotel with old world charm but modern luxuries. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: if you are traveling with children, request a room with a sleeper sofa beforehand.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family